Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju Ryu, Kendo, Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit that I'm really disappointed. Many years ago I trained under Platt Sensei in Burlington. In the beginning there was no hint of a McDojo (from my limited experience at that time & in looking back). In fact my brother, father & I all trained together. But as the years progressed we found there was less sensei presence & more pressure for fundraising. Initially there was no grading free either. I felt Platt Sensei was a great role model until what seemed to be politics interrupted the traditional aspects of the training. Those of us that didn't regular contribute financially never made it past 1st kyu.

Anyone else here train at the Don Warrener's dojo on Guelph Ln in Burlington under Platt Sensei in the 80's?

Thanks for reading.

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 12:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a student at one of their schools for a number of years. Platt thinks the world is going to be taken over by aliens or beings from the 80th dimension or some crazy thing and that dolphins hold the atmosphere on the planet or something. Seriously you can't make this stuff up. The place is a cult. I've seen perfectly normal people turn into mindless drones falling all over themselves to please their insane masters. The ones who fall for all this insanity cease to control their own lives, every decision down to the minutest detail is made by their new gods. There are basically three types of people there, the zombies who swallow the who thing, the oblivious people who somehow fail to notice, and the ones that are like wtf?!, how either quit on their own or are forced out when it becomes obvious to the cultists that they see buut don't buy in. Can't have that! The worst part is Platt and his cronies are nothing but common criminals. Platt has been sued for stealing something form a stuednt, another guy apparently tried to steal his students money - i guess thats the link above. These people are insane. Stay away!

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 1:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yah their black belt tests are open to the public. for a modest fee of five dollars you can witness platt in all his glory. the schedule is on his website i think. behold!

Posted On:
    2/05/2010 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

HA HA HA

I was a member of this group for many yest, as a teen, blind to there bull S**t. When I turned 18, I contacted my old childhood sensei and resumed training in a great style of karate. They are nothing but bullies, who will preasure you any way they can to get your money. I personally know the guy who had been literally run out of his own dojo by them.
    Wally Platt, if you look on Don Warreners web site, was dishonerablly discharged of his rank... From Don Warrener..... as far as I know now his rank is recognized by Peter Urban (rip).
    Im not saying in the dojo I trained at, that belonged to CMAC, I didnt have any good times or good memories, but the organization was a cash grab. If ther good at one thing, its getting a big group of people together and getting there money.
    I dont have a problem with makeing an honest living from teaching, heck your teacher should be compensated for there knowledge and time, but a REASONABLE fee.
    Time spent with CMAC - 6 yrs. Earned sho dan with them.

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 12:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Its not a skirt

Its not a skirt, Its a formal outfit used in karate training, mostly for kobudo (weapons). Its exactly like pants only the legs are much wider and longer to hide the feet. Its specifically designed to throw off an attacker as they wouldnt be able to predict how the wearer would move. ALSO, "holiday destinations" is an uneducated statement. The various places for his training is specifically picked out for reasons based upon natural energy of a place. CMAC does various seminars in Toronto, as well as Waterton Lakes and Emerald Lake (Alberta and BC) which are rumoured to be some of the highest pure energy points in the world. On top of this, Grand Master Platt does annual trips to China with members of his dojo and other CMAC dojo's where they train with various matrial artists of different styles. The trips range anywhere from two weeks to a month. Wudang Shan for example is one of the places visited on these trips. If you dont know what it is, its the temple on top of the mountian featured in the recent Karate Kid. Forms and katas are brought back and shared with students. You can look up Chet Dixon's books about these trips. For the Great Wall of China, It was chosen because of its historical relevance and energy. What martial artist WOULDNT want to train ontop of the Great Wall of China?

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    http://cmac1.com/backgrou.htm

First thing. Nice skirt. Sorry I had to get that out of my system.

The problem with listing a long list of your holiday destinations is that it does not show if or who you trained with and for what duration. Also I never thought the Great Wall of China was a hot be of martial training, but then again maybe I am wrong....

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CMAC out east is very different from CMAC outwest. The CMAC dojo that had his sensei kicked out was because of personal lack of integrity from the sensei. He just stopped showing up and couldnt care less about his students. Thats one person, not the organization. An AMAZING CMAC dojo is OKU DAMASHI MARTIAL ARTS located in Langdon Alberta. Sensei Tammy Thankachen has built her whole world around her Dojo. She is VERY knowledgeabe and VERY professional. She works directly with her students, and the atmosphere of her Dojo feels NOTHING like a cult, more so like a family. As for the fundraising comment, out east the dojos may be very money driven, but OKU DAMASHI is community driven. This year alone our Dojo did a food drive for Jack James High School for christmas as well as had 2 comedy nights sponsored by Nathans Pub to raise money for the school food drive. We did a petition to save the grizzley bears and had over 1000 signatures collected. We fundraised money for two dojo members, one who was doing the bike for MS, and the other for Ride for Cancer. Sensei volunteered time to help built the new school playground. We also donated money to one of our Dojo families because their house was ramsacked and arsoned and they lost everything. Do not let one CMAC dojo put a bad name to all of them. The West CMAC Dojo is not tarnished from or involved in what happens out east. If you are in the Calgary area looking for a creditable and amazing dojo I suggest Oku Damashi Martial Arts.

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 1:02pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GOJUryurocks View Post
    Its not a skirt, Its a formal outfit used in karate training, mostly for kobudo (weapons). Its exactly like pants only the legs are much wider and longer to hide the feet. Its specifically designed to throw off an attacker as they wouldnt be able to predict how the wearer would move.

You couldn't be more wrong, if they told you this, and you bought it, how much other esoteric bullshit did they spew and you soaked up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 3:10pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not a skirt, Its a formal outfit used in karate training, mostly for kobudo (weapons). Its exactly like pants only the legs are much wider and longer to hide the feet. Its specifically designed to throw off an attacker as they wouldnt be able to predict how the wearer would move.
    As Yoj already stated, this is incorrect. If you did indeed train in Goju-ryu karate or kobudo, you would understand that's probably just a hakama.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 10:09pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 walls of text written by someone whose enter key seems inoperative.
    1) Paragraphs dude, then maybe I would read your drivel
    2) Go to www.e-budo.com and do a search on "long awaited court case" and read how Platt and Williams lost the court case over how they got a BB named Narbeh to put up the cash to open the Beaches dojo and then kicked him out with a dojo storming and in put Dixon in charge. The court ruled that they were essentially running a pyramid scheme (i.e. illegal franchise operation).
    3) I've posted numerous times on different boards - I trained up to the point of blue belt with Martin O'Connell of the High Park dojo, and I never had a problem with that SPECIFIC dojo. O'Connell runs his dojo like a BUSINESS, but not like a McDojo. There is a difference. I was never pressured to buy into that MasterCrap. I think that High Park's demographic is made up of more mature and professional types that train because they like it and don't drink cool-aid. Every other dojo, on the other hand, has the reputation of being a rogue's gallery.
    4) From a blue belt POV (I'm a nidan now in a different org) their basics are good if you want to march back and forth across the floor punching and kicking air, spar with minimal contact and bow like dominos. They might actually hit things at brown belt and higher. But I wouldn't know, I left without animosity for unrelated personal reasons.
    5) Nice thread necro. Do you like them cold?

If you talk to Sensei O'Connell, tell him "Lunchtime Greg" speaks highly of how he runs his SPECIFIC dojo. But please don't mention my opinion of the rest of the organization.

Edit - correction, the thread necro comment should be directed at Karate_Guy83
    Last edited by 2groggy; 9/17/2010 10:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2010 10:29pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    As Yoj already stated, this is incorrect. If you did indeed train in Goju-ryu karate or kobudo, you would understand that's probably just a hakama.
    Yes, it is a hakama. If I recall correctly, black for dan ranks in kobudo, blue for dan ranks in karate, but not yet in kobudo, standard gi for coloured belts.

Karate lineage is via Peter Urban (rip) as mentioned a few posts back.

For kobudo, the kata progress through kali sticks (I forget the proper term), bo, jo, tonfa, etc. It's almost all kata - no Dog Bros. style sparring.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast