Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sensei Wallace Platt (Hanshi) Ku Dan 9

Hey do these guys look legit, or are they pure bullshido?

http://cmac1.com/backgrou.htm

http://cmac1.com/background_of_sensei_jonathan_ke.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 12:30pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://cmac1.com/backgrou.htm

First thing. Nice skirt. Sorry I had to get that out of my system.

The problem with listing a long list of your holiday destinations is that it does not show if or who you trained with and for what duration. Also I never thought the Great Wall of China was a hot be of martial training, but then again maybe I am wrong....

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 3:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train at a CMAC school in when I lived in Michigan and it was basically a McDojo, with a hint of bullshido. There was limited sparring and occasionally talk of the "teh d3@dly". Plus you'll spend a fortune in the organization. My shodan test was going to cost around a 1000 dollars, so I refused to go and had a falling out with my teacher.
    If you check over at e-budo.com you can find a wealth of information about Wallace Platt and his history of conning people out of there money and making up fake martial arts credentials for himself. In other words I'd advise you to spend your money elsewhere.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 7:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this school ridiculously expensive. It had a cult like atmosphere when I was there and I saw lots of senior members start to drop out which really told me something. One turning point was taking the Master Key seminar for $400 for a weekend. It included watching close to 24 hours worth of video about the Master Key with brief commentary by Platt in between. The videos are ancient probably in the 70's which I am sure I could have bought for far less. I did buy the book for maybe $20 and that was a slap in the face. I wouldn't recommend them however I did learn a few things along the way. Surprized I haven't seen more CMAC threads based on all the personal stories I have heard to date.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 1:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had about the same experience. Fortunately I think we were far enough away from Toronto that we didn't get the same level of control. Furthermore the instructor I had was legitimately good, so I don't know what he was doing getting wrapped up in the CMAC.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 9:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Many

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are under the age of 50, there is no way that a 9th Dan is warranted.. And listing all the places that you've been means nothing when it comes to your real worth as a martial artist...

Also.. This organization - The World Head of Family Sokeship Council.. Same organization that awarded Christopher Geary his hall of fame award.. Hall of fame stature means **** when you can't take a blue belt in BJJ and you think that you have magic hands.

Chris Geary's BS thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5167

Jonathan Kenney appears to be this guy's senior student..

Sensei Jonathan Kenney has been assisting and teaching since he was 13 years of age and in 1999 opened CMAC’s Burlington North location with his father.
    Don't know.. McDojo maybe??.. 13 year olds teaching the classes.. His side kick looks alright though..
    Last edited by theprotz; 6/17/2007 9:54pm at .

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 2:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. When I trained at a CMAC school there were no kids teaching at all. The only instructors were my instructor and myself. Then again I think there were only about 20 students total and the kids classes hadn't really started going there yet. The whole organization is fucked though. High membership costs for the schools, micromanagement, and an overall cult-like feel. It still pisses me off when I think back about all the money I spent on stupid karate **** before I pulled my head out of my ass.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 10:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, exactly what style is he 9th Dan in? I'm missing something there.

Secondly, I don't know about other styles but in our style the term "hanshi" is reserved for our grand-master. A rank of 7th-9th Dan merits the title of "shihan".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 12:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm, sakura was a name of one of the cmac "dojos" in Toronto.

the cmac head is called Hanshi Platt as a 9th dan and this took him roughly 33 years to attain based on his age and when he started. It was in Goju Ryu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 7:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train under a CMAC dojo in Canada, so I can relate to what Anger Claus said first (McDojo, etc.) Fortunately I found a decent Goju dojo when coming to America, so I guess the lesson is that "Goju Ryu" can mean virtually anything.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast