Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 5:48pm

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    Just my 2 cents, but if you've only been doing BJJ for one month, I would concentrate on that and forget about training anything else for at least a year. I think that focus is probably the best bet for people just starting any art.
    I agree with you... But the MMA would not interfere with my BJJ, because I don't have BJJ Fridays. It doesn't interfere with any techniques I learn either.

@ Liger: Thanks for weighing it out... The video you posted looks somewhat like what the Wing Chun guy was doing, but our excercise was a bit simpler. We choose our stance, whatever it may be.. Have our partner try to punch us full speed in the face, as we deflect with one hand, and hook with the other. We then practiced an exercise that went like this: I punch my partner, he deflects. He counters with his own punch, and I deflect. I counter with a punch and he deflects. ETC ETC ETC. It was a pretty cool exercise, but I really don't know how effective it would be in an MMA fight, as we didn't have any sparring time after the wing chun lesson.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 8:06pm

Style: WC,JJ,Kenju,C.BoxN,ElboNe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod
    I agree with you... But the MMA would not interfere with my BJJ, because I don't have BJJ Fridays. It doesn't interfere with any techniques I learn either.

@ Liger: Thanks for weighing it out... The video you posted looks somewhat like what the Wing Chun guy was doing, but our excercise was a bit simpler. We choose our stance, whatever it may be.. Have our partner try to punch us full speed in the face, as we deflect with one hand, and hook with the other. We then practiced an exercise that went like this: I punch my partner, he deflects. He counters with his own punch, and I deflect. I counter with a punch and he deflects. ETC ETC ETC. It was a pretty cool exercise, but I really don't know how effective it would be in an MMA fight, as we didn't have any sparring time after the wing chun lesson.
    It's a basic WC drill(timing,defense,counter atteck/attack). I've met some JKD people that do it too. Usually it is done with basic triangle footwork. It can help if you have a good partner, the attack is realistic, and the deflection/defense is realistic(slap block, open hand deflect, shell). It's the basis for the stuff in the vid. Just don't mistake it for anything but what it is: a technique drill. It helps a lot when done right. Don't forget to spar(broken record skips)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liger
    It's a basic WC drill(timing,defense,counter atteck/attack). I've met some JKD people that do it too. Usually it is done with basic triangle footwork. It can help if you have a good partner, the attack is realistic, and the deflection/defense is realistic(slap block, open hand deflect, shell). It's the basis for the stuff in the vid. Just don't mistake it for anything but what it is: a technique drill. It helps a lot when done right. Don't forget to spar(broken record skips)
    Hmm... Thanks for the rundown :) I'll try to use it while sparring... I'm going to be sparring a goju ryu practitioner this weekend. Hopefully I'll get some air to try the deflection out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****. Double post. Sorry. Delete please.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    5/24/2007 8:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod
    From what you describe, though, it sounds like the only thing you'd get out of the Friday class is how to implement a hodge podge of striking skills with your nascent grappling skills. Because the format for introducing these striking skills is such a hodge podge, I would be concerned if I were you that I was learning the striking version of crappling (henceforth to be called shitriking). If the instructor were to just teach old school TKD and/or Muay Thai for the striking element of the MMA class instead of bringing in guest instructors every week, I think you'd be better off. Do the othe students in this MMA class have a solid background in a striking art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2007 3:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    From what you describe, though, it sounds like the only thing you'd get out of the Friday class is how to implement a hodge podge of striking skills with your nascent grappling skills. Because the format for introducing these striking skills is such a hodge podge, I would be concerned if I were you that I was learning the striking version of crappling (henceforth to be called shitriking). If the instructor were to just teach old school TKD and/or Muay Thai for the striking element of the MMA class instead of bringing in guest instructors every week, I think you'd be better off. Do the othe students in this MMA class have a solid background in a striking art?
    Hmm... I see what you're saying. I have a few Muay Thai guys in my class... They seem to be enjoying the class, but then again, I know nothing about striking. Next class (tommorow) I'll propose the idea of sticking with one style. Hopefully my classmates will agree, and we could get a curiculum change.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 9:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ProudClod,

Why don't you train MMA thru Lin Martial Arts? You are already taking BJJ there, and it is one of the best MMA places around. Why don't you ask Steve to train you? I know he trains people for MMA at his Markham gym and he just had one of his guys win his pro debut by first round armbar in Montreal last week.

Anyways, why would you go to a TKD school's "mma" class. Steve has nothing to do with that class. I've never seen Chu's class, but it sounds like "here is a mix of different traditional martial arts, whether they work in a fight or not" instead of truly MMA for fighting purposes.

I've heard of a few other traditional martial arts schools start an "MMA" program to cash in on the UFC craze. These guys aren't experts in grappling or striking and the kind of training they do is totally unlike how anyone trains if they actually want to fight MMA in the UFC or any other pro-MMA organization. These kind of programs are full of beginners and noobs that can't tell the difference between what's good and what's not. I bet none of the advanced guys in your BJJ class take that class at Chu's. I also bet all the Muay Thai guys in your class are like two months new to Muay Thai or something.

I think it would be better to just focus on BJJ until you get good before trying to mix up different styles.

my 2 cents
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12