Martial Arts Researcher

Posted On:
    8/23/2004 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Research & Work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

~Awesome~ Oom Yung Doe / Chung Moo Doe Resource

This is a link to the homepage of the Oom Yung Doe Discussion Group at Yahoo! Groups. VERY worth joining for OYD info & pics.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ngdoe_discuss/

Although you must register @ Yahoo & join this group to access the materials (free), it is well worth it. Site includes an active forum, numerous files including recollections of former members and streaming television news reports regarding Chung Moo Doe, court records, photographs, links, articles, and other items of interest to historians and researchers.

It has NOT been overrun by Mooooo-nies* like some other forums where the topic of OYD/CMD has come up. I suspect that is wht you have to join--If someone starts spamming repetitive crap (a common moooo** method of beggering up a forum), the mod can remove 'em.

In a VERY BRIEF nutshell for those unfamiliar:

The martial art founded & led by John Chull Kim, aka "Iron" Kim, was originally popularly known as Chung Moo Doe. The name was changed to Oom Yung Doe after a series of news stories exposed illegal business practices, overcharging, and harmful psychological controls, and the proper authorities looked into the matter.... This school of martial art also goes by the names "8 Martial Arts for Health", "The Grandmaster "Iron" Kim Style", & others. Oom Yung Doe purports to combine 8 different martial arts of China and Korea in one. But you learn all 8. In 1. :rolleyes:

Founder John Kim claims to be a former all Asia champion, but in court a number of his claims were discredited, including his having ever been a champion of anything. It was also established that there was no HQ in Korea, although students had been paying for special Inernational ID's. John Kim was an authentic maintenence man when he arrived in the united states, though.

John Chull Kim and many of the high ranking instructors from this chain of martial arts schools were convicted of and served federal time for various tax-related offenses (including Kim). See the IRS brief at: http://www.ustreas.gov/irs/ci/articles/dockim99.htm Several of the men leading the Oom Yung Doe school today remained loyal to Kim during the Federal trial and even through prison. Some were rewarded with high leadership posts. But today's CMD OYD will never discuss this, and may try to silence you if you do.

According to former members in the mid-'80's to mid-'90's, many CMD/OYD leaders used intimidation and brainwashing to work students to exhaustive states and drain them of financial resources. In some cases students suffered mental and/or permanent bodily harm, and cut off outside relationships w/ non-members iincluding close family members.

As to claims CMD/OYD has "changed" (as in "gone straight") recently and shouldn't be held responsible for the misdeeds of the past, former members and us diggers alike remain vigilent. My authentic (not-a-copy) 2002 Oom Yung Doe Calander shows at the top a picture of "Iron" Kim doing a flyin' side kick. the backdrop is a town on the horizon and a lot o' sky. The caption reads:

"One of the many personal achievements of Grandmaster "Iron" Kim is the Kyong Gong Sul Bope (flying side kick). Above is Grandmaster jumping from the top of a building (the roof is visable in the lower right corner.( In 1970, Grandmaster "Iron" Kim demonstrated Kyong Gong Bope by jumping from the equivalent of an 11-story building. In 1972, Grandmaster "Iron" Kim again demonstrated the Kyong Gong Bope movement by jumping from the equivalent of an 8-storybuilding and landing without injury onto a sloped surface below" [emphasis mine]

Yes, the Oomyungdoe_discussion group has a picture of the famed flying side kick! Do I believe the corner showing in the picture is the corner of an 11 or 8 story building, and that humans can sidekick/"fly" off of tall buildings in a single bound and land safely below?

Do you? I'm still working on my faster than a speeding locomotive move. ;)

Keep Workin'!

M.C. Busman

* Mooooo-nies: Followers/believers of Chung MOO Doe or Oom MOO Doe.

**Moooo: CMD/OYD loyalists who will do just about anything to defend the rep of the school today and deny or mask the past.
    Last edited by M.C. Busman; 9/02/2004 2:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 12:08am

Style: Vampire Slaying

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, nice. Another great reference link:

http://www.rickross.com/groups/chung.html

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 2:03am

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oom Yung Do cult sucks ass.

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 2:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Or actually, their martial arts just suck, but whatever).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 10:01am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome resource, M.C. Busman. I had been looking for data on the group since I found a Chung Moo Doe school in my area. This Yahoo group has the best information I've seen yet.

Another good source of information are the Google Groups. For example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ch...=Google+Search
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...im&btnG=Search

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 10:11am

Style: Jut Sow Tong Long

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im pretty sure that their cult is pretty horrid as well.

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to the local school, had no exposure to them before, and caught the sifu teaching basic wrist locks to a couple of the students. He did it totally wrong, and it wasn't working, so one student was trying it different ways on the other student trying to make it work. They must have been pot heads or something, because it didn't even seem to occur to them that the Sifu didn't know what he was doing.

So after that the sifu comes out, and I'm asking him if he'll show me something, but he won't show me anything. So finally I ask him how long he studied, and he said 2 years.

2 years, and he's the head guy teaching the class.

Oh, and the place smelled RANCID. Really bad.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 8:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Busman, you're all over the place! http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...pnet.se&rnum=2

Martial Arts Researcher

Posted On:
    8/25/2004 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Research & Work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great Zeus, that's old! Obviously, that's an opinion piece (I don't think I bothered citing anything specific there).

I tried posting some things on Google after that, but for some reason they never appeared. I still wonder why--I don't think I was banned from every group without explanation. So...that was among my last Google posts.

Odd thing about CMD though, the way the top level honchos hide out. I don't know of too many m.a. organizations that combine the $tructured moneymaking approach with stories of grandmaster doing such wierd supernatural things (flying off buildings, reading minds & the like). As recently as a few years ago--and possibly still--several of the highest ranked National Instructors lived in a house in La Jolla, one of the ritziest areas of San Diego. Perhaps they have a built-in gymnasium? According to CMD lore however, when one reaches a certain level, one doesn't have to practice as much. One thing is certain. They aren't going to come clean anytime soon, from what I have witnessed around here.

Happiness to Y'all,

M.C. Busman

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2004 2:24pm

Style: All

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know about this group, and have friends who were part of it. Not a nice picture!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast