Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 1:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    Taekwondo is a good martial art. But ... I very much doubt it'll give you better grappling than BJJ.

delicious understatement FTW!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 2:24pm

Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're getting closer to a vital point here. What is the purpose of a martial art? What is the purpose of your training? What is YOUR purpose for training?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 2:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First thanks for posting.
    I think everyone should be able to train an art. As long as you keep their limitations in the forefront and they understand the difference, I have no problems. The thing is many schools tell people that are blind or in wheelchairs they are on equal ground. Sorry, the truth is they aren't.

Don't you people in here actually know how to debate? So far I've seen little. You guys would be kicked out of one of the forums I moderate in. None the less:

Glad you don't moderate here because you'd suck. Whining about our debate skill and you are doing exactly what Elda has done.

Forced your pereceptions, philosophy, definitions and beliefs on everyone.

Just like Elda you make assumptions about people from a single post from one member.
    One persons says stupid crap and now the whole forum can't debate.

So, now you are doing exactly what Eldabrong was doing, judging on the surface.

More in common then you thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 2:08pm

Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put a blind person and a seeing person in a pitch dark room and see who's the disabled.

I agree with ItIsFake that most -- but not all -- people with disabilites will not be on equal grounds with others. It depends on the person, the disability, and the skill being measured. A blind MT practicioner would get beaten to a pulp against a seeing MT practicioner. On the other hand, I believe a blind wrestler or BJJ:er would stand a very good chance against a seeing wrestler or BJJ:er, all other things equal.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    although as said before that age doesn't matter that much but if your preaching health shouldn't the black belts be well... in shape and doesn't most of the moral and mental strength come from the ability to make your self work hard and endure the suffering that comes with physically pushing yourself

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 7:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    I am not trying to be a jerk, but how the **** can you get your BB in TKD when you don't have use of the lower part of your body? That's like giving a BJJ black belt to a quadraplegic.
    There should be a place in martial art training for those with disabilities. Trying to find their path to adapt to normal life is helped out tremendously by those who offer this.

Now that I've been all sensitive and stuff, that does remind me of a little joke:

What do you call a man with no arms and no legs in a BJJ class?

Matt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 9:27pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso4
    although as said before that age doesn't matter that much but if your preaching health shouldn't the black belts be well... in shape and doesn't most of the moral and mental strength come from the ability to make your self work hard and endure the suffering that comes with physically pushing yourself
    Good health is not restricted to those with trim figures. If a man can perform athletically, it doesn't matter if he looks tubby-- the internals are all in working order and healthy.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/24/2007 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread's TL/DR. Maybe I'll read it later. I've trained at Auvenshine's and I don't think it's a McDojo. They're not lying to anybody to make money. Teaching TKD and turning a profit doesn't mean you're a McDojo; ask Omega about this.

Did anybody bring up contracts? When I was there, Auvenshine didn't have the scary mafia-style contracts that are so common in martial arts schools. That's my main McDojo indicator right there--can I walk out if I decide I want to do something else?

I walked out. I don't think Bill was exactly glad, but I didn't get harassed, I didn't have to fight credit card charges, nobody spread rumors about me--none of the stories we hear from people who've left McDojos.

If somebody tells you what he has to offer and asks you to take it or leave it, is that unethical? I don't think it is.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/24/2007 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, now I've skimmed it.

Briefly:

1. If you can't be old, then Helio and Carlson would be bad people to learn from--and Rickson's getting up there.

2. If you can't be fat, a lot of members of this board are in trouble. I'm a little more open about my weight problem than most here, but you know who you are. Frankly, based on the endless lifestyle discussions here and on sociocide, most of the people who are in "good shape" on Bullshido are resting on genetics.

3. I have an American flag flying on my front porch. Don't even bother making fun of people for being proud of their flag; nobody cares.

4. Child black belts grate on me a little, too. I like the BJJ solution of a junior set of belts so it's clear to the juniors that they'd have to be able to do what the grownups do before they can have a grownup belt. However, if your art's belt rankings are based on mastering a curriculum, I don't know how you can deny a belt to someone who has mastered that curriculum.
    Mind you, I just encountered a child black belt in the hallway wearing his dobok for his descriptive speech in English class, so the annoyance is fresh in my brain. (He's not from Bill's school.)

5. If you think Bill or his instructors are freaks, I encourage you to call him. He's not going to bite you. Talk to the guy and see what you think.

6. Why post pictures of underage students? I don't know; why does NAGA do it? Why does Gracie Barra Springfield do it? I assure you GBS is not a McDojo.

7. McDojos are places where profit is so important that the school is run in an unethical way. McDojos are not places that teach martial arts in ways you or I disagree with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2007 12:16pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ooops!
    Last edited by Bill Auvenshine; 5/24/2007 12:19pm at . Reason: yet another double post.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast