Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/24/2002 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care. I like the guy. I just can't wait to see what he does. He really bombed out when he signed up with WCW. That was a BAD MOVE!!!

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2002 4:27pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really, he got plenty of money doing nothing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2002 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judo. great in-fighting. use of throws allows you to stay on your feet if facing multiple opponents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2002 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, in judo, you can just use strength to throw your opponents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2002 11:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoops sorry stipe i misread one of your posts you said "i have blah blah blah tapes backing me up" I didnt read too throughly and thought you said "i have blah blah tapes"

But moving on...

"> his name was joel sutton and he won both of his fights.
    Hold on to that straw real tight, cuz it's all you'll ever have."
    Thats the only time i can recall praying mantis being used in a major MMA competition. I brought it up because you mocked Praying mantis.

"What I'd like to see is ONE WC guy making it into Pride TODAY and doing something there."
    What the hell does this have to do with northern praying mantis, it has almost as little to do with wing chun as aikido has to do with BJJ but maybe the fact that there is actually more than one kungfu style in the world hasnt reached crotia yet.

Quite honestly i dont care how much you bach wing chun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2002 11:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i meant bash
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/03/2002 8:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ratskeller,

Sun Tsu said, when surrounded, if you fail to take the battle to the enemy then you will lose. In dealing with multiple attackers, you want something that will stop one of them quickly so you can move on to the next. I mean that you need something that is more offensive than defensive.

I agree that JKD would be good. Intercepting attacks and offering a quick reply is the focus. Today's JKD teachers tend to try to mix boxing, Wing Chun, BJJ and Muay Thai. That is a decent basic combination of arts.

But you want a good teacher who has studied more than just a couple of systems when you are taking JKD. A diverse background lends itself to JKD's ecclectic nature. If a guy has really researched tech from all over the world for himself then he will be a much better teacher.

Also watch to see if they fuse together tech from seperate systems well. Do they mix Chin Na's seizing with boxing and low kicks? Do they mix BJJ's ground game with Hapkido's wrist locks and ground kicks? Do you see them punching while in the guard or the mount? In their grappling drills do they point out opportunities for a strike here and there?

An example of what I am saying about fusing technique from different system is this:

Lets say a guy throws a right punch, so you parry inside and chop down at the collarbone on his other arm, then you blast him in the face with a left cross. Then you chop down at his neck with your right - hitting the corotid artery. You shove him, grab his left arm and pull it across to your left, then chop his windpipe with your right and follow it with a left punch, then a right hook to his left temple. You push his chest and throw a front snap kick to the groin. Then you grab his wrist and fold it, twist it, and throw him to the ground. You pull the arm across the body and mount him while you throw a punch to the face bouncing his head off the ground. Chops at the neck, punches at the side of the head, ground kicks, stomps, or an arm bar could follow. You could then mount and choke.. except well, he's dead by now.

See? All techniques used and taught together. Grappling, seizing, boxing, kicking, hitting/ puching, Karate chops, Aikido throws, BJJ ground attacks. Not just seperate training in mixed MMA but really mixing the martial arts.

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2002 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HEY STIPE!

You are a real fuckin Idiot did you know that?
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/03/2002 9:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ratskeller,

As far as the multiple attacker game goes:

Terrain is important. 300 Spartans held a huge army of Persian invaders at Thermopylae for 6 days until a spy showed them another way around the mountain. They did that because they jammed themselves between the sea and the mountains in a narrow pass.

Try to find a hallway, a doorway or someplace that limits the directions of attack. Keep an escape route, though. You want to be able to retreat to another good position if they breech your first one. Don't corner yourself but you can use a wall here or there to keep them from coming up behind you.

You can sometimes use obstacles to narrow down the number of guys you are facing at one time. That's why you see Jackie Chan always running around in his movies. He isn't just scared, he is trying to widdle down the directions he can be attacked from at a specific moment by using the terrain and obstacles around him.

No matter how many attackers you are facing, only a certain number of them are going to be able to reach you at any given time. Everyone else will have to wait their turn.

Only between 4 and 8 guys in a crowd can reach out and touch you meaningfully at any given time. Out of those 8, only 4 of them can comfortably reach you enough to attack you. That leaves 4 directions of simultaneous attack.

The odds are slim that they will all attack at once but 4 are still there. If they are not surrounding you then it might be down to three or even two at once depending on their formation.

You are really facing 4 directions, so 4 attackers. If your back is against a wall you limit that to 3. If you get a good first attack, then that guy may be stunned for a second - then its only two guys for a second. If you can grab a guy and pull him between you and one of the other two, then you limit it to one guy. Take him out fast enough and you can push him between you and the others again
    before they can attack - then escape or move on to the next guy.

I am not saying anything is easy or highly reliable in such a situation but using terrain against multiple attackers can really raise your chances of survival.

Also, a good strike can stun a guy for a second or two. Hit one guy, hit another guy and step around so that he is between you and the other guys. Push and pull him where you need too. Hit him again.

There are little ways you can actually use the people you are fighting against as obstacles between you and their friends. That can give you a second to finish them off, shove them into the other ones or escape.

I think I remember Musashi writing about that for sword fighting - positioning himself with one attacker between him and the others and moving around one so that he blocks out the others.

Another thing about the terrain or your environment: you can find weapons laying around. A broomstick, some rocks, a baseball bat, a stick, a bottle, dirt or pebbles (thrown in their eyes), a Playstation2 controller.. whatever.

That's another good thing about retreating to a better position: it can give you a chance to look for a weapon.

Another good thing about running is that if you are fast at all, it limits how many guys can attack you to those in front of a pack. They are all coming from the same direction if you take off running for a little bit.

A drawback of running - it can tire you out. If there isn't a really clear escape then just run for a good position and hold the fort until you need to run again. Remember, don't corner yourself.

Don't get discouraged either. Take the first few out and the rest might leave - or they might hang back to see what happens and then they are alone to face you when you take out the first bunch.

If you go to the ground, that doesn't mean its all over either. You can kick at their shins and knees to keep them back. Maybe even knock them down (falling away from you) with takedowns like grabbing the ankle and pushing the knee. You might even break a knee or two while they try to get close to you. Just don't get in a wrestling match with one guy.

If you do wrestle though, you might keep your back to the ground so you can see where attacks are coming from - but that can get you pinned down. Its hard to give good advice here. Grabbing legs, punching and kicking knees, shoving the guy you are wrestling with into people, rolling - its not over yet. Don't give up. Try to get up again.

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456