UAAAH!

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 4:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    A bone bruise on your tibia ? how did you kick yourself in the dick with your shin?

A bone bruise ? What is that exactly ? Why does it take so long to heal ? Fractures can take that long to heal ...

and how did your "bone bruise" come about ?
    It's a layterm for fracturing the outer layers of the bone, and it takes a long time to heal because if you hit the same part of your shin that's being remodeled again, you get a full blown fracture. It came about from what I can tell from checking lots of kicks, kicking a plutonium heavy bag, and kicking someone's knee in exactly the wrong spot.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    It's a layterm for fracturing the outer layers of the bone, and it takes a long time to heal because if you hit the same part of your shin that's being remodeled again, you get a full blown fracture. It came about from what I can tell from checking lots of kicks, kicking a plutonium heavy bag, and kicking someone's knee in exactly the wrong spot.
    Honestly , I think I figured it out over the weekend in St Louis and I think I may have one to match yours . Did yours form a yellow/green/blue/purple bruise about the size of a small dodgeball ( roughly eight inches across ) ?

At the very least I am taking a week or three off from sparring , kicking the bag , and checking drills .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Honestly , I think I figured it out over the weekend in St Louis and I think I may have one to match yours . Did yours form a yellow/green/blue/purple bruise about the size of a small dodgeball ( roughly eight inches across ) ?

At the very least I am taking a week or three off from sparring , kicking the bag , and checking drills .
    Mine wasn't visible except for a small nick actually, but it was profoundly painful.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

:)

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started san shou training...I kicked one of the senior students in the elbow sparring...and I have a nice big dent in my shin from it. It doesn't hurt anymore, but at the time, my world ended and all was pain. Now I beat my shins up all day (mostly thumping them) so it wont be like that again. Even getting shin kicked in the jewels never hurt like that...

Thanks jim_jude for explaining the sapu. Much appreciated.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    Thanks jim_jude for explaining the sapu. Much appreciated.

Here's a crappy vid of someone doing one application of a sepu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_BTkSbgpOE

Usually the application is to the lead foot. The conditioning is usually against rope-wrapped wood or wood to start.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 1:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N. Mantis kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get some dit dat jiu (hit fall wine) Its a brownish/blackish liquid that you use on bruises/anything thats not a cut. I think its pretty common and easy to get, i always have some in my house, but maybe thats just cause im chinese.

Oh and about the whole killing nerves thing. Im pretty sure that if you want to harden your bones (as you hit it, the honeycomb structure in the bones fill in and become more dense, as is the aim of hard body training) while hitting your bones you probly will kill some nerves here and there.

In my training, we only hit body to body or just shadow boxing. I want to keep feeling in my body parts plz =)
    Last edited by joeeyng123; 7/12/2007 1:31am at .

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 10:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joeeyng123

In my training, we only hit body to body or just shadow boxing. I want to keep feeling in my body parts plz =)
    Thanks for the advice. I mostly thump my right shin with my fist (100-200 times a day) randomly, and have some bamboo that I kick (with shinpads), and a pestel to roll my shins a bit. I try to keep a constant bruise, and my leg had adapted...it takes so much more to feel the same pain...and when I round kick people in the leg...they feel it so much more....all I feel is the effort to throw it...and not much else. Most fighters don't block well with their shins (often it hurts them as much as eating the kick to the thigh), so I work to exploit that when I spar. It's one reason I have so much respect for Muay thai, the shin conditioning is key.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 10:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It helps to have played soccer, I'd already eaten hundreds and hundreds of kicks in the shins before I even thought about martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 9:01pm

Style: Karate, chang quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1980
    I'm sorry its just i used to practise muai thai.(my Brother used to go and train in Thailand) and it's alwas been my opinion that the clashing of shins in Mai Thai training/ fighting is one of the stupidest things in Martial Arts.

Its just a ridiculous technique. All these low kicks can be absurbed with the soft tissue parts of the legs, bone aginst bone in this manner is just retarded.(and it hurts like a bitch)

Yes its true you pick up injuries training any martial art if you train hard enough, however it's my opinion that it's not worth training techniques that do your body damage as opposed to having a positive effect.(ie cardiovascular fitness, muscle strengthening etc.)
    in kung fu iron leg training consists of smashing your shins with your fists and kicking a tree. EVERY martial art damages you body and heal it.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 1:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman
    in kung fu iron leg training consists of smashing your shins with your fists and kicking a tree. EVERY martial art damages you body and heal it.
    I prefer to use the fists on my shins
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast