Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 11:56am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ you can't seriously be suggesting that as muay thai is a "sport" it is somehow inferior to the "deadly" *ing **un?

have you had a look at Martial Arts Planet at all? It might be more "you"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1980
    Ha what a Joke. He's learning a good sport... thats it. (as are you)
    Well, I for one I'm interested to learn how you deflect/absorb a powerful shin kick with the soft sides of your leg. Since you made the claim that such a technique is not only better, but possible, it is time for you to demonstrate that technique.

Please provide video where you deflect/absorb a powerful shin kick with the soft sides of your leg. I want to see how you do what you advocate.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    actually I do , they are just stuck on my camera till I can get Photoshop reinstalled , I had a crash last week and wiped out my system drive . My camera is so old I can find no other way to import photo's except through photoshop .

Right now it has four layers of wrapped foam of varying thickness and about 200 yards of bailing twine and hemp . I put another dent in my shin trying to figure out how much more padding I needed . It is not nearly as bad as the first dent , and I have some pics of the dents as well .
    Man, I wish I had enough space to have a heavy bag, a wavemaster, or anything :(

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    About this micro-fracture thing ,

Purposely damaging yourself is silly , which should be a given .

I was under the impression that micro-fractures happen whenever you apply a sudden ( and large ) load then release it quickly , and that those types were the types that healed and formed those neat honeycomb structures .

I thought lifting and striking proper surfices were just the thing to cause the above effects , am I just plain wrong on this one or what ?
    Well, that's one way to get them. But you can also develop one over time, with small, sudden but not so large force applied to the bone.

Around April, 2004, I developed a hairline fracture on the ball of my right foot, about an inch below the area where the the big toe joins the foot. I ended up getting it from dancing (actually, spinning on my right foot using less shoes not appropriate for spinning).

A barely noticeable pain started one day, and after a month of dancing like that, it suddenly became unbearable. I almost needed a cane to walk, and it took about three months off dancing (and running and almost everything else) for it to heal.

Very unpleasant experience.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 3:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets get back on topic or I'm locking this. Discuss shin care as the OP requested. If you want to talk about the merits of soft tissue yielding start your own thread.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After taking some time off sparring, my bumps have subsided a bit. Kicking the bag and doing squats are keeping my shins nice and healthily dense.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 2:48am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my experience, those little bumps will be there for a long time, i've had them last for 6 months plus. As far as i'm aware its calcification, little deposits of bone matter over a bone injury site. They've never done me any harm. Apart from the stress fracture, obviously.

:)

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I roll my shins, kick things randomly, and thump myself on the legs on and off all day, bagwork and sparring. Bruises come with the territory.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is a bit funny since I've since accumulated a bone "bruise" on my tibia and I have to take 8-10 weeks off kicking. Doh.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/21/2007 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    This thread is a bit funny since I've since accumulated a bone "bruise" on my tibia and I have to take 8-10 weeks off kicking. Doh.
    A bone bruise on your tibia ? how did you kick yourself in the dick with your shin?

A bone bruise ? What is that exactly ? Why does it take so long to heal ? Fractures can take that long to heal ...

and how did your "bone bruise" come about ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

:)

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The aim is to deaden the nerves, not to kill them. You need some for walking/balance. If you wax a kickboxers shins, he'll feel it when you pull that **** off...just won't affect him the same.
    (I wouldn't reccomend waxing a kickboxer's shins) ok, stupid example, but the idea is to punish the area of the shin/thigh to the degree that it lets you block kicks with the shin...(not kicking it, a receding block....nothing stupid or dangerous) to save the thigh...and condition the thigh to stay loose if it does get tagged.

I've had a mild bruise on my right shin for 6 months now, and I keep thumping it on and off.....it doesn't feel the way it used to...and when I block with it, or the left, and I've got shinpads on, I can take sooooo much more than 2 years ago. I've never eaten a kick to the thigh on purpose (exept drunk as a joke with the band), unless I angle in/out to punch and it's a good trade for me.....otherwise, you gotta have hard conditioned shins....dont believe me? have someone karate chop your shin or the muscle next to it real hard 2 or 3 times. Then jump up and get in your ready stance....it feels funny if you're not used to it. When I started sparring, I hurt myself on them, as much as they hurt me. How can anyone expect to kick effectively, if the first time they kick the elbow or knee on accident, then fall over crying? Some conditioning is needed for the shins...or it's a gaping vunerability. Same goes for the thighs...just within reason.
    Medium contact sparring with cloth and foam (not shell armored) shin pads will allow for conditioning, without bone damage. Thai pads, bag work, all of this is important, if you actually plan to spar at a level where you can test the techniques properly.

Guys without conditioned legs, drop their hands to block after a few good tags....leaving them open for fake low round- high round kick combos. Or they just drop to teh floor in cramped agony when they do get tagged real good...it's just how it goes.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast