Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 9:38pm

Style: Boxing/Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Potential mcdojo in Princeton, NJ?

Hi y'all, i'm usually a lurker, but I posted a couple months ago about what I assumed was a Kung Fu mcdojo. It's a university supported class that runs out of our gymnasium, with a guy called Gary Vaganek who says he teaches Sil Lum Kung Fu. I'm gonna skip the details of the school,(as they are previously posted). Anyway, apparently there's some sort of Kung Fu Open House, this weds, 2/2/05, at the Princeton Gymnasium at 8:30. I'm hoping maybe one of y'all more experienced martial arts practiioners here can attend this open house, and maybe verify(or deny) whether or not this school is a mcdojo? Failing that, could any of you give me tips on how to verify whether or not the Kung Fu school is real or fake? Questions to be asked, etc.?

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 10:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhsu
    Hi y'all, i'm usually a lurker, but I posted a couple months ago about what I assumed was a Kung Fu mcdojo. It's a university supported class that runs out of our gymnasium, with a guy called Gary Vaganek who says he teaches Sil Lum Kung Fu. I'm gonna skip the details of the school,(as they are previously posted). Anyway, apparently there's some sort of Kung Fu Open House, this weds, 2/2/05, at the Princeton Gymnasium at 8:30. I'm hoping maybe one of y'all more experienced martial arts practiioners here can attend this open house, and maybe verify(or deny) whether or not this school is a mcdojo? Failing that, could any of you give me tips on how to verify whether or not the Kung Fu school is real or fake? Questions to be asked, etc.?
    I'd have to say mcdojo judging from the looks of the instructor, he looks like a goober.

Gary Vaganek began studying the art of Kung Fu in 1975 at the Sil Lum Kung Fu Association. He began student teaching in 1980 and in 1981 acquired the rank of 1st Dan Black Sash. At that time, he opened his home studio where he teaches to this day. He taught from 1981 to 1988 in Piscataway Adult and Continuing Education. In 1988 he began teaching in the Recreation Department in Plainsboro and is currently in his 14th year. He is now in his 27th year in the art and has acquired the rank of 6th Dan Black Sash. Sifu Vaganek is also a graduate of the Ohashi Institute of Shiatsu in New York City. He has taught seminars at Rutgers University and at Monmouth University.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 11:38pm

Style: Kyokushinkai, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ask the right questions

I'm from New Jersey (albeit, stationed in VA currently), and I know most of the big names there. Haven't heard of this guy, but I'm almost certain that I'll have heard of his Sifu, if you can inquire more about his training lineage (teacher, with whom teacher studied, etc..). He shouldn't take any offense whatever at your inquries along those lines, as he would HAVE to know how the marketing Chinese arts is more rife with Bullshido than any other sphere. :911flag:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 12:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he says basically, "I've had so many sifus and senseis in the past, I can't name just one" or something along those lines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 3:49pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know whether he can fight or not, but claiming 'Dan' grades in a chinese MA is a little weird.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhsu
    Go train and give a report on how the class was.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 4:01pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the guys I train BJJ with attends Princeton and he and his friend apparently getting a kick out of making fun of the Kung Fu people there. Hes in the Army I think, so he teaches a little BJJ to the other guys in his squad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2005 11:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, I think I've met him actually...I've seen the army combatives class work out in the martial arts room, teaching how to pass the guard. Pretty cool stuff. Yea, I'm waiting for one of my friends to come down to visit me, so I'll use that as an excuse to visit his class(registration date for classes is over), but until then, I've found a pretty decent Boxing/Conditioning Class run by Rick Tucci of Princeton Martial Arts....it's basically just a workout(I don't think Princeton is too keen on allowing real sparring), but it's better than nothing, and I've met some really goo martial artists in it.

Posted On:
    4/04/2007 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any conclusions here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2007 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whoa, mad thread necro. Having done BJJ/Judo for almost a year now and having boxed for a bit over a year, i think the place is still a little sketchy, but to be honest, i don't think I have enough of a kung fu/kempo background to judge. It's definitely more of a kempo school then a kung fu school, a lotta "hard" forms, but they tend to jump right from forms into sparring(no "alive" drills so to speak like pad work, etc.) as I understand it, and their sparring suffers cuz of it. Their shuai-jiao stuff seems a little....planned, definitely doesn't seem like it'd be effective in randori, and they don't have any groundwork to speak of, but with me still being a BJJ/Judo n00b, i dunno if I can make any sort of definitive statement. I dunno, I think you just have to go there, check it out for yourself. You can talk to ViciousFlamingo(the guy who wrote up the review for Princeton Judo(where i train Judo), for his take on the kung fu class.
    Last edited by jhsu; 4/04/2007 3:11pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast