Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 4:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

no-gi BJJ in manhattan

Hey, I'm looking for a place to train no-gi BJJ in manhattan. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I know there's a Renzo Gracie place, but I looked at their schedule and the only classes that might be no-gi are labeled "sub grappling" (7:30am-8:30am...ouch). Everything else is either not BJJ or labeled by belt, which means it's gi.

There's also a Machado place, and they have some no-gi.

Also, if anyone has any experience with either of these places, please share :)

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any reason you don't want to wear a gi? I ask because I have yet to hear a good one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 5:30pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why learn in a gi if all you want to compete in is no-gi?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Why learn in a gi if all you want to compete in is no-gi?
    Listen to what Marcelo says at 2:16

I train everyday with a gi, and once a week with no gi. It is crucial to train with gi to have the finest technique. An athlete who wants to be good in no gi must train also with no gi.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kpm6nD0cN2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpm6nD0cN2s
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 5:58pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Renzo's has three hours of nogi on Friday nights (it's the purple belt class). You need to be a 3-stripe white to go to that class. Sub-grappling is just no-gi bjj. There is no better place in NYC to learn BJJ than Renzo's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 6:02pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice vid, thanks.

Well as it happens, i'm actually going to be attending a Gracie Barra school and my only option is to train with the Gi as i can only make 1 no-gi class!

I still don't understand it yet but maybe after training i will realise how my sub wrestling game improves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 6:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by defklown
    Hey, I'm looking for a place to train no-gi BJJ in manhattan. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I know there's a Renzo Gracie place, but I looked at their schedule and the only classes that might be no-gi are labeled "sub grappling" (7:30am-8:30am...ouch). Everything else is either not BJJ or labeled by belt, which means it's gi.

There's also a Machado place, and they have some no-gi.

Also, if anyone has any experience with either of these places, please share :)
    I'm like you I like the no gi but that's only because I suck in gi. If you cant find a real nogi place, the best advice I can give you is to train at Renzo's school. I train at his affiliate school in Ottawa and the training and atmosphere is top notch. They make you feel really welcome but will also give you really amazing training with dedicated individuals who love what they do. I love training at my school, and I'm pretty sure it's a very similar atmosphere at the New York school.

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 7:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata
    Renzo's has three hours of nogi on Friday nights (it's the purple belt class). You need to be a 3-stripe white to go to that class.
    Thanks for the info. How long does it take, approximately, to become a 3-stripe white belt? And I assume in order to become a 3-stripe white belt, I'll have to train with the gi, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Is there any reason you don't want to wear a gi? I ask because I have yet to hear a good one.
    I don't like the gi because it's a slower game that involves more strategy. I'm not trying to make some sweeping generalization like "All gi BJJ is slow and dull". I've seen plenty of dull no-gi matches. But from an objective standpoint, it really is more strategic and it tends to be slower. Hell, some people prefer gi BJJ for this very reason.

It's also a "stickier" game, if you know what I mean. It's so much easier to gum up your opponent's attempts to control you because of all the extra grabbing potential, both on your gi and their gi. I also don't like being grabbed by my clothing in general. It's kind of a nuisance that I can't do much about compared to what I could do if somebody grabbed my tricep in no-gi, for instance. With the gi it's just like, "Hey! Let go!".

I realize this probably sounds silly to most people, but that's just how I feel. I also don't like the concept of beating people up with their clothing. I think it's just...lame. This is going to sound really stupid, but I feel like real men don't choke their opponents by grabbing their collars (Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to say that no-gi is easier or anything like that). I realize that this is not a popularly held belief, and I'm not recommending that anyone stop training gi just because I don't like the notion of it. It's just less fulfilling for me, personally. Whereas gi BJJ is incredibly fulfilling for me.

I'll be surprised if anyone is convinced by my reasons, so I guess you'll just have to accept that I have an irrational dislike of gi BJJ. :)

Oh, and thanks for the info everyone.

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 9:40pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by defklown
    Thanks for the info. How long does it take, approximately, to become a 3-stripe white belt? And I assume in order to become a 3-stripe white belt, I'll have to train with the gi, right?

I
    Around 6 months, give or take. Yes.

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 9:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata
    Around 6 months, give or take. Yes.
    Hmmm...I'm not sure if 3 hours per week of no-gi BJJ is enough for me, so I just might have to tolerate gi for a while until I can attend the purple belt no-gi classes on friday.

By the way, do you know how much classes at Renzo's cost?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast