click here to order on Amazon

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training sore is normal. Man up and go to class. training injured is a good way to get more injured. Man up and take a week or two off.

Quote Originally Posted by Soju - Joe
    I take an extra strength advil

an other guy I know is getting a laser procedure, in and out in a day, on his back. waiting to see how that went.

I have looked into traction and have ordered an inversion chair so see if I can decompress the spine so I don't need surgery.

Even with warming up I find the next day is when I have a problem.

I definitely don't want surgery, from what I understand you have to repeat it every 5-7 years

Ugh

The big problem is it's definitly grappling that does the damage and I just can't see giving it up for Tai Chi yet.
    I have/had back problems. Try yoga. Seriously.

After i had back surgery and could move without a morphine/oxycontin cocktail, yoga helped me feel better than the re-habs stretches I was doing. I figure the bodyweight exercises with the stretching was why it worked so well.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What type of Yoga? Also did you just start it after back surgery or before?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried the "Hatha" yoga here http://www.holycowyoga.com/ about 2 months or so after surgery when a friend of mine went and asked me if I wanted to join her. I did the beginner class once and felt better after class rather than sore like after PT. I still do that sun salutation strech thing daily and I think it helps. I've had zero problems with my lower back since the surgery.

http://www.santosha.com/asanas/suryanamaskar.html
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a herniated or bulging c6 or c7...i got for an mri hopefully this week. My dr said to do whatever I want as long as it is tolerable. I decided to hold off on judo and BJJ, but I plant to start MT back up. I obviously can't spar full on, but like alot of people have said, if you know the injury and can work around itm that is probably best. I have a bad rotator or separated shoulder. I babied it for about 2 months and it just hurt. Then I started re-habbing it with light weights and it got alot better...still hurts a little at some points of motion, but the movement helped.

The worst is if you just ignore the dr. I asked the dr what I could do and even my wife (cuz she was worried) asked what I could do. Once he cleared me, it is on. You have to be smart.

I might start yoga though i need a cheap place since my MT and judo is big $$$....aside from that I find massage (w/o happy endings) usually helps with the soreness.

--sorry for the bad grammar...my left arm is fucked cuz of the disk and it makes typing hurts like a bitch...

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    I have a herniated or bulging c6 or c7...i got for an mri hopefully this week. My dr said to do whatever I want as long as it is tolerable. I decided to hold off on judo and BJJ, but I plant to start MT back up. I obviously can't spar full on, but like alot of people have said, if you know the injury and can work around itm that is probably best. I have a bad rotator or separated shoulder. I babied it for about 2 months and it just hurt. Then I started re-habbing it with light weights and it got alot better...still hurts a little at some points of motion, but the movement helped.

The worst is if you just ignore the dr. I asked the dr what I could do and even my wife (cuz she was worried) asked what I could do. Once he cleared me, it is on. You have to be smart.

I might start yoga though i need a cheap place since my MT and judo is big $$$....aside from that I find massage (w/o happy endings) usually helps with the soreness.

--sorry for the bad grammar...my left arm is fucked cuz of the disk and it makes typing hurts like a bitch...
    Er.

You're not just talking a joint here - if you **** up your spine, you're looking at all kinds of very nasty consequences (e.g. paralysis).

When I injured by neck (c3/4), I was told to take 10 weeks off from everything. Over a year later, I'm still injured.

Be careful.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 12:06am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Do you train while you're hurt?
    Yes.

If so, why?
    Because I'm stupid.

What was the nature of your injury?
    How did it affect your training
    In order -

Bruised ribs. after a new years eve spent shotgunning cough syrup and vodka, wrapped them up in a tight brace and went back to training. Made flexion very difficult. I did a lot of top game work.

Broken foot - took six months off, until the doctor told me I was all right to drive again. Went back with my foot still swollen to the point that a wrestling shoe wouldn't fit onto it. Did nothing but drills, no live work, till it was healed to the point it would stand up to impact. Still aches in wet weather.

Sprained ankle - mummified it in tape and kept training. Inhibited my butterfly guard game a bit, but frankly that's always been a bit crap.

Dislocated shoulder - took two weeks off, went back to training, took it easy on that side.

fractured wrist - put a brace on it, kept training. Did nothing but overhook guard, Jean-Jacques Machado style, for several weeks.

Hyperextended elbow - took a week off, then mummified it in tape every time I rolled for the next six months. This was how my arm was when I went to the Mega last year, which is why I did no standup. Not being able to extend your right arm past 70 degrees doesn't make for good punching.

Giant gash over my left eye - put nuskin on it, took three days off. Slathered it in vaseline and put headgear on, kept training. Grappling in headgear sucks. Don't do it.

Torqued lower back - Don't know what the **** I did, but it hurts like hell when I bow my back. I'm taking 300 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day, which helps a lot. Every time I roll I aggravate it, though. I've kept going to date because I was helping guys get ready for fights; after the Mega I'm going to take some time off.

and what was your reason for continuing to train while injured?
    I'm an obsessive, competitive idiot with a superiority complex and little sense of self-preservation.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DaYoung,
    I stopped judo and am only doing drills in MT. I am on the fence about BJJ since even training the techniques might not be a good idea. My instructors know what's up and are knowledgeable enough to let me know what is good and what is not good to do.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 10:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    Yes.

Torqued lower back - Don't know what the **** I did, but it hurts like hell when I bow my back. I'm taking 300 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day, which helps a lot. Every time I roll I aggravate it, though. I've kept going to date because I was helping guys get ready for fights; after the Mega I'm going to take some time off.

Careful with your back.

I have trained around hyper extended elbows sprained ankles and brusied this and that but I have found out the hard way that the back is too important and a screwed up back can mess up every aspect of your life.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Training with a leaky heart valve, however, that's retarded.
    I've got ASD/VSD and I still train; I'd like to think it makes my heart stronger.

I did get (tentative) clearance from a cardiologist though.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast