Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 4:19pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're kind of looking at a snapshot of a person here - over time, your coach can coddle you less. Eventually you DO need a test at 100%, but it's not as needful as is sometimes made out on here. It needs to happen, and frequently, but it doesn't need to happen every time, and you can't LEARN much while doing it, only grope through your responses to see what already works within what you know.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    If the instructor is trying to win, they win. If they're trying to lose, they lose. They can walk you through how they're beating you, or losing, but they are not actually trying, or they'll win immediately.
    I disagree. It is not black and white like you are trying to paint it. It is very well possible for an instructor to dial it down and fight to the students benefit without killing them or completely letting them win. I do see the necessity and benefit of training with those of your level, as well as a variety of opposition, but completely ruling out training with your instructor as beneficial is foolish.

You need people to spar with who are trying to win, or in competition you'll have a distorted view of what fighting is and will probably (not always, but most of the time) suck, unless you compete all the time, because you aren't really testing your abilities vs your instructor who is leaps and bounds better than you.
    I agree.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not black and white, and you can learn from sparring with your instructor, but my point here is that you need a variety of sparring partners to get good, and your instructor, no matter how fabulous, cannot fill that need by himself.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not black and white, and you can learn from sparring with your instructor, but my point here is that you need a variety of sparring partners to get good, and your instructor, no matter how fabulous, cannot fill that need by himself.
    Gotcha.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 2:12am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do agree with this, but really, are there a lot of people that are doing nothing but private lessons for their training? If nothing else, it's prohibitively expensive for most people.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 4:01am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it was his room. He says that because I am his best student he will allow me to start having privates in my own bedroom. I cant wait!!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do agree with this, but really, are there a lot of people that are doing nothing but private lessons for their training? If nothing else, it's prohibitively expensive for most people.
    You'd be surprised. I've encountered it quite a few times. One guy kept cross-facing me in grappling to no end (he didn't stop, AND he had no goal in mind other than pain for me, had 40 lbs muscle on me, but he couldn't sub me, so...) so when he came to his first sparring class, I pulled a Belfort on him, ran him across the ring eating shots and pummelled him in the corner. He never came to another one. He opted for private lessons and sucking.

This thread is designed to deliver a message to anyone on here who might be doing this and thinking "I'm a fighter, yay me" while only doing private lessons.

I get unlimited private lessons for free, but I never do ANY anymore because they're boring.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do private lessons with a group of four people. We work on technique and application and usually end the session with sparring to see if we can/are applying the techniques we have focused on.
    Our instructor is good about bringing in other guys to spar with us because, as you guys have pointed out, you need to spar with different people of different skill levels and sizes etc. to really improve as a fighter.
    I have found them to be a real help in improving my technique and overall approach to fighting. We recently had a couple of injuries during a sparring session and things toned down for a while. Result: lack of sparring over the past two months resulted in my last session being sloppy and getting my finger fractured. If your technique is going to be sharp, you need to spar often enough the you don't get sloppy and overexcited when you do.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123