Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have done a couple of private sessions with some of my coaches, always found them quite useful. but ONLY doing private lessons can't expose you to enough different fighting styles.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any good coach doing private lessons, if they spar with you, is going to dial down their games, let you work, lead you into setups for the moves you're working on, and demonstrate to you (with their counters) what part of it you're doing wrong.

Your statement is true about private lessons in which you don't roll, but for the ones in which you do roll, it's only true if your instructor isn't a very good teacher.
    If the instructor is trying to win, they win. If they're trying to lose, they lose. They can walk you through how they're beating you, or losing, but they are not actually trying, or they'll win immediately. You need people to spar with who are trying to win, or in competition you'll have a distorted view of what fighting is and will probably (not always, but most of the time) suck, unless you compete all the time, because you aren't really testing your abilities vs your instructor who is leaps and bounds better than you.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 11:44pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the same token, you can't learn to fight exclusively from people that always go all out, if they are good enough to teach you to fight in the first place.

There's a middle ground somewhars.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    If the instructor is trying to win, they win. If they're trying to lose, they lose. They can walk you through how they're beating you, or losing, but they are not actually trying, or they'll win immediately.
    True.

You need people to spar with who are trying to win, or in competition you'll have a distorted view of what fighting is and will probably (not always, but most of the time) suck, unless you compete all the time, because you aren't really testing your abilities vs your instructor who is leaps and bounds better than you.
    Retarded.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 2:59am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From personal experiences my best and most informative time spent in martial arts have been getting private lessons from my sensei in his room. Nothing perfects your technique faster than that.
    Last edited by Raining_Blood; 5/19/2007 3:09am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 10:18am

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ the room in question wasn't a bedroom I hope?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 12:09pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i do a lot of private instruction due to the fact that my school is really small and at least twice a month, the instructor ends up having a class where only i showed up.

we spar. he's generally the only person i spar with at my school (i spar with friends from other MAs elsewhere) cuz theres really no one else to go with. i'd say i learn a lot more about going with him than when i go against anyone else, specifically because he keeps bringing his game up as time passes, to the point on where he was initially at my level, to when im getting scored on harder than a cheap hooker. during the latter, since i know i'm not going to connect most of anything, i tend to get a bit more creative, since it's a nothing to lose situation. learned some great stuff this way, being able to go all out, follow my instincts, refine my reflexes. i don't have to worry about winning, since i know it's not a possibility, and in any case, is not important either. i worry about executing my techniques successfuly.

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 1:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the instructor is trying to win, they win. If they're trying to lose, they lose. They can walk you through how they're beating you, or losing, but they are not actually trying, or they'll win immediately. You need people to spar with who are trying to win, or in competition you'll have a distorted view of what fighting is and will probably (not always, but most of the time) suck, unless you compete all the time, because you aren't really testing your abilities vs your instructor who is leaps and bounds better than you.
    My instructor rolls regular 6 minute rounds with everyone in the school in the rolling rotataions. He always wins. Usually he picks one aspect of his game and works on that alone. I gauge my performance by how long into 6 minutes it takes me to tap. It's raised the quality of our school up very quickly. Smaller school, but consistently place high in tournaments.

A lot of the privates he does are no gi with MMA fighters raising their ground game up.

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 2:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Retarded.
    When sparring in a context that involves grappling, he's not off base at all.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again I find myself in the disturbing situation of agreeing with Cracky

Private lessons are great for building up and refining technique but you need to be (as far as grappling goes) rolling against your peers for real progress.

With a grappling coach he's either going to steam roll you or let you apply the technique - which is good for mechanics, but not the same as pulling ti off against someone who is 100% resisting.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast