Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 1:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo (phony dojo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Two questions...

#1. I just started running tonight, but I really have no intention of quiting this time around... I'm going to force myself to turn it into repetition. Only problem is that I'm REALLY out of shape. I start to get winded at like 1/3 of a mile, but I keep pushing myself, until about 2/3rds of a mile when my legs refuse to keep running and my heart feel like its on fire. Then I start walking, start filling dizzy, plop down, and puke. That always happens when I go for a run. Think I should keep pushing myself to that point?

#2. Once I get to a point where I can run a couple of miles without puking , I'm going to start looking into martial arts. (I don't want to embarass myself by getting sick every time that I push myself in class) Signs of a McDojo are soft contact sparring, kiddy black belts, and what else? (I really don't want to waste time on another phony dojo...)

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #1 - Intervals are better training for you. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

#2 - **** that, start now. Dive in with both feet and go.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 1:03pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed! MA is tons more fun that running, and you are much more likely to stick with it if you are enjoying yourself instead of puking. Plus, you'll meet people who will encourage you to come out, so you won't be going it alone.

Beyond that, MA is fantastic exercise! I've been doing Pilates and dance since September (yeah, I know that's girly, so what, I AM a girl) and although I could feel some improvement in my cardio and core muscle strength, I hadn't seen any real weight loss or muscle improvement. Then I added a once a week boxing class about 2 months ago and bam - started dropping pounds and building arms and shoulders just like that.

Running sucks. Go beat people - it's much better!

Edit: And don't worry about embarrasing yourself. I was really nervous about going in to a class full of in-shape guys and making a fool of myself. I wrestled with that for a while, then finalling I just got off my ass and went to class. Glad I did - everyone just works at their own pace. So I can't do as many pushups as most of the guys do, and I have to take a break after skipping for a few minutes - so what? No one has noticed so far. And every week I get better. Just suck it up and go, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by AeroChica; 5/17/2007 1:13pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    #1 - Intervals are better training for you. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

#2 - **** that, start now. Dive in with both feet and go.
    **** dude, where do you get all these cool links. That web page basically said what I wanted to say.

shadow_Hiei, when you run, be mindful not to over stride. It takes time to learn how far (or short) your steps should be. If your strides are too long, that's a sure way to get shin splints. So start jogging with short strides, and increase or shorten them according to how your shins feel.

If you have access to a threadmill, use it if you suffer from shin splints. But the key is consistency. Just keep pushing, but within reason. Everything has to be gradual. There will a point (after a few weeks of consistently jogging) that you will notice an increase in your capacity to jog. You will not wind out as easily, and you will love it. I can guarantee it.

There are other things you can do to improve your conditioning: jumping jacks, cherry pickers, push ups. 2-4 minutes of them every day on top of your jogging can do wonders.

As for training martial arts, why not? You can give it a try right now - it won't be easy, but it will get you in shape. This may be a better alternative to get in shape than trying to it just by yourself (without having an instructor and partners to guide you and push you)... that unless you have a serious medical condition.

Lurk around more and take a look at the topics we have here. In particular, check anything regarding diet and nutrition. Nutrition makes you or breaks you.

[marketing mode]

Sorry guys, but I can't help it. The topic of this thread reminded me of an exercise DVD product that I think would be beneficial to shadow_Hiei (or anyone for that matter).

I'd strongly suggest you get Rhadi Fergunson's BodyWeight Exercise DVD. He presents a very simple YET effective conditioning program that you can tune to your needs. It's not Hollywood/Tae-Bo pro quality, but the information is gold.

If you (and by that I mean anyone of you) gets this product, I'd suggest to first watch the entire program and LISTEN to what he says, and then watch the second DVD where his wife demonstrate how to do the exercises by modifying the intensity according to your needs.

[/marketing mode]
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 2:34pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IF you really feel you need to run as previously mentioned shorten your stride, slow down and if you can't talk at a comfortable level while running you are pushing too hard. You can ge a heart monitor watch for under $100, they are a good investment. You train in your target heart range and you will improve rathe quickly.

Now if you feel you are going to run and go do a martial art class and not feel out of shape you will be sadly disappointed. While it will help conditioning is activity specific. Example once a week I run 5 miles in roughly 45 to 50 minutes, but when I started BJJ about four months ago it kicked my ass. Now I'm feeling more comfortable rolling but it hasn't helped my run time at all. Hope that helps.

As for picking through the McDojos, if it doesn't seem right or realistic than if probably isn't.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live if you need help on a MA school?

To El Macho: WTF is a threadmill? I assume you mean treadmill but I think I have seen yo write "threadmill" in other threads. Same thing?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw ****, my spelling-fu is broken. Yeah, that's what I meant :eusa_doh
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 8:36pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    since this thread is on running i have some questions i wanted to ask too. recently i lift weights before running because i heard its better for building muscles. after i lift weights i can only run for around a mile. would my running ability decrease if i continue this training and is this better or running 4miles before i workout? thank you

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 6:02pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's some good advice here, but I'd just add to increase gradually. Especially if you have not done much running before. If you only add a few minutes each week then you keep looking forward to hitting your goal. Too much and you can blow up too soon.

I'd recommend you build a base before going all out on intervals, but see what works for you.

Finally, don't worry about distance--it is meaningless. Just track 1) time and 2) intensity.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire