230539 Bullies, 3590 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 151 to 156 of 156
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,387

    Posted On:
    7/20/2007 8:08am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Hindu squats and other bodyweight exercises were available, and there used to be heavy weights back in the day, too (they provided ballast for the Mayflower, you know). Kung fu has lots of interesting weight lifting devices and methods.
    sand or water filled jars were a traditional weight training tool as well, and they work well, especially as they are difficult to hold, and build grip strength as well as arm/shoulder strength.

    i think it's great that people have come back to such old school training devices as club bells and kettle bells... just goes to show that new technology is not necessarily better (weight machines, etc.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  2. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,526

    Posted On:
    7/20/2007 8:20am

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Hindu squats and other bodyweight exercises were available, and there used to be heavy weights back in the day, too (they provided ballast for the Mayflower, you know). Kung fu has lots of interesting weight lifting devices and methods.
    I don't think the use of bodyweight isometrics like holding a horse stance was done just because of the different technology available. Even today it's easy to find yourself for a few days without access to a weights room.

    It's a bit of a tangent but related: there's an old thread where Taebomaster (a well qualified fitness trainer whose opinion AIUI pretty much everybody respected regarding every aspect of physical training when he still posted here) started experimenting with dynamic tension routines for strength, and was logging the effects and was getting results that surprised and impressed him IIRC (he was a very skeptical science-based BJJ practitioner, no background in CMA that I know of).

    He got the routines he was using by a book on dynamic tension written by a CMA teacher whose name I don't recall.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.
  3. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,526

    Posted On:
    7/20/2007 8:25am

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the thread:-
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ynamic+tension

    The book was by Harry Wong.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.
  4. Jack Rusher is offline
    Jack Rusher's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,149

    Posted On:
    7/20/2007 9:28am


     Style: ti da shuai na

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    sand or water filled jars were a traditional weight training tool as well, and they work well, especially as they are difficult to hold, and build grip strength as well as arm/shoulder strength.
    An old-school weighted stance variation is seen ~00:16 in this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgNuEO1j30

    Shi Yan Ming is actually a good example for this purpose. The guy probably can't fight because he doesn't practice fighting, but anyone who says his conditioning program isn't working is crazy. My suspicion concerning the orange-robed gymnasts is that they kept all the traditional conditioning methods ("marrow and tendon change") but stopped training for combat (sparring hard, and so on).
  5. nomamao is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    666

    Posted On:
    7/20/2007 10:30am


     Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    An old-school weighted stance variation is seen ~00:16 in this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgNuEO1j30

    Shi Yan Ming is actually a good example for this purpose. The guy probably can't fight because he doesn't practice fighting, but anyone who says his conditioning program isn't working is crazy. My suspicion concerning the orange-robed gymnasts is that they kept all the traditional conditioning methods ("marrow and tendon change") but stopped training for combat (sparring hard, and so on).

    Breaking demo :evil4:
  6. lazy guru is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    on a moutain
    Posts
    48

    Posted On:
    7/24/2007 6:18am


     Style: Kenpo,Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the horse satnce is a good training stance but now throwing you must drop your center into there center load them in this process your stainding with knee's bent, you load them when you have both legs straight and then rotate and throw . punching from a horse stance well you would change stance from your horse stance to rotate your hipps into the punch so that means your using your body to throw the punch not your arm strenth
    Last edited by lazy guru; 7/24/2007 6:22am at .
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.