Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 2:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Carpal Tunnel

Couldn't find anything specifically via the search function, so...

I have been slowly developing carpal tunnel in my left wrist for the past 2 years. Does anyone have the same problems and/or have any recommendations on how to relieve the pain while training, and also to increase grip strength for grappling without doing further damage (I'm trying to avoid surgery until after college)?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, for starters, where do you feel the pain? On the palm, on the underside of the wrist, or on top of the wrist?

Anyways, from experience, stop doing anything resembling bicep curls or grip training. That will only worsen your carpal tunnel. The only thing that will help is rest. I had carpal tunnel before, and it got horrendous when I was typing my master thesis; I couldn't even hold a pen.

I took three weeks of school, no typing, no writing, no working out, no nothing. It just ibuprofen, ice packs and icy hot. You really need to force yourself to rest your wrists, and you need to alternate between icying and hot packs while taking anti-inflamatories.

You may want to get some sort of wrist brace and use it at night, or while you do a repetitive activity such as typing. You don't want to wear it all the time; you just want to immobilize it at night or when it hurts the most.

Also, gradually begin to work out your hand extensors - these are the muscles that run on the outside of your forearms, from your elbow to where the wrist connects to the backside of your hand. These are the ones that flex your hand and fingers open (and are usually seriously negletted, which partially contribute to the pain.)

The easiest thing is to get several rubber bands around your fingers and open them up about 20 times (20 reps). Threat this is as a rehab. That is keep it moderate (don't kill your extensors, bitch!!!) The following picture should give you an idea of how this exercise may look:

Let us know how it goes, or if you have any questions related to your symptoms.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, take a look at the different ways to stretch your hands and wrist (which you will need to treat carpal tunnel):

http://ergocise.com/wrists.html
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool idea on the rubber band exercise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 4:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, thanks for the extensive reply. The pain is generally isolated on the palm below my thumb on my left wrist, but if I've been working nonstop or have alot of code to write for school it can spread throughout the rest of the hand (and sometimes shoot up the forearm). I've only talked to one doctor, he said surgery will probably be necessary at some point (I'm thinking a second opinion may be in order).

The rubber band exercise looks promising - I'll update if I make progress.