223536 Bullies, 3841 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/28/1993 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Forgot about this thread for a bit, sorry.

Few things I would like to add/echo.

-Stay hydrated. This will assist in flushing out the system.
    -Potassium. Avoid those cramps.

If this happens in future, avoid going to class, since your learning would be heavily impeded by the fact you can barely move your legs. Instead do your chest and do your back in the following days. Light active rest in the following days too to continue blood flow in the affected areas. Everything should synch up and you should be healed enough to train normally again with a week.

Four days after, how do you feel?
    I massaged the backs of my legs in the shower and put some boxing cream on them and they were back to normal within a couple of days :eusa_danc
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help I can't walk

I recently started lifting weights to supplement my Jits training and think I've fucked my legs up.

I was going through my routine on Monday night and finished with Squats. I did 3 sets of 12 with 20kg on the bar.

Anyway, it felt ok and I didn't really feel much weight so finished my set and off to a nice hot shower. I woke up Tuesday and the backs of my legs felt like they've never felt before. My legs shook when the muscles in the back at the top were used and today I'm finding that i'm having to walk funny to stop it hurting.

Did I do something seriously wrong here? Is it a good idea to wait for my legs to stop feeling like this before doing any more Jits?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:21am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DOMS! Delayed Onset Muscle Syndrom.

Yes. Rest. RICE. Hydrate and eat well, fruits and bright/dark vegatables since they have higher concentrations of antioxidants.

Normally comes after not lifting in a while/new to lifting. It'll go away in a few days, since lower back and legs are larger muscles, it'll take longer the larger the muscle + intensity of session.

Next time? Warm up/down properly. Stretch at the end. Hot/cold alternating shower while massaging affected area.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man, that's extremely helpful. I haven't done squats in years so you probably hit the nail on the head. I was warmed up from light jogging but didn't warm down (Shame on me). I was going to go to Jits tonight but thought I'd ask on here first.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

What's RICE?

When you say alternating hot/cold, how exactly do you mean? Changing the temp while you're in the shower or hot in the morning / cold in the evening?

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RICE = Rest / Ice / Compression / Elevation

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:38am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great I deleted my post! Probably forget a few things.

Next time also warm up/down but doing reps at lighter weights.

RICE:
    Rest - Rest.
    Ice - Stimulates blood flow and healing. Prevents swelling.
    Compression - Prevents swelling.
    Elevation - Prevents swelling.

Swelling slows blood flow and prevents healing.

Hot/cold - I normally prefer to do this after I do the shampoo/soap body thing.
    In same shower session, turn to cold so you jump up and down in surprise. I like to run the spray over my muscular legs and lower back, while deep massaging briefly. Then I turn to hot and stretch by bringing knees to chest.
    Repeat a few times if you like, I like to end off cold as I seem to dry myself off faster after to warm up.

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thanks for that.

I'll probably end up falling out the shower and cracking my skull and it'll be all your fault!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:41am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bananas or sweet pototoes for potassium, pineapple for bromelain and water help too. RICE + stretching.

I did squat thrusts ad infinitum last year that left me like this... didn't feel it while I was working out, but I was hobbled for a couple of days. For me, the pain was mainly in the back of my legs.

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds pretty much the same as what happened to me mate.

What style of PM are you learning? I did 7 star for 5 years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 11:13am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i thought this thread would be about hindu squats. the first time i did them (50) i couldnt bend my right leg the next day. that was sore as ****. wicked exercise though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast