Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    I do focus on SD more than sport but the sport part does a hell of a lot to hone my SD skills. After grappling and fighting with guys training to do the same thing on a regular basis makes it easier to deal with others.

Also not all SD training needs to be the same. Some of the whackos think EVERY SD situation is life and death and thats not the case. If pple ask me for SD training I gear it to their environment. If they are 16 and just don't want to be picked on in school (there is a kid in the gym for just that reason and he's gone for being picked on to being avoided) I am not going to train them to serious hurt someone but enough to handle the situation. If its a young woman who has to work in a bad area or at a job likely to make her a target then we focus on that. You can't cover everything but getting used to the situations you are likely to face works better than worrying about the marauding group of ninjas waiting to kill you at a moments notice.
    can you train me to survive the suburban streets? 35 year old aggro mommies in giant SUV's can be quite dangerous.

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:49am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craphonso
    I started trining in _ing _un after getting robbed managing a bank branch. Those classes were ALL about "what if" scenarios. To be honest, it made me a paranoid wreck.

"always try to run, but what if you have your family there with you and someone is holding you up with a knife?"

I spent a lot of time and energy running those sceanarios in my head whenever me, my wife and two kids were out and about. Ridiculous. I am 32 and live in the suburbs, give me a break.

Now that I do BJJ, it is all competition based and I love it. As someone earlier posted, any self defense skills I gain are secondary.

thanks bullshido!

Thanks to everyone so far with the answers, this is just what I was looking for and I think it is making interesting reading. I hope to get some more responses from the people with a SD focus.

Craphonso, I agree. When I did WC a while ago I thought my mental health got worse. I to was was becoming paranoid with all the what if scenerios. Bullshido and BJJ to the rescue. :5thanks:

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The san da training we do is geared towards "free fighting". The idea is that we train without the goal of training for one venue i.e. pankration, sanshou, sub grappling etc unless there is a particular tournament coming up. In this way, we can choose to compete in any rule set by simply taking out certain parts of the game. I think this is a good way to overlap your self defense training with the sport training (the downside is that you won't be as prepared for a tournament as someone who specializes in a particular sport).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 2:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i train for fitness, but also for self-defense. i train judo and bjj because i think grappling is a better base for self-defense than pure striking, since if you keep punching someone i think they will very likely grab you/tackle you to make you stop.

and whether i should be or not, i'm more worried about getting slammed on a hard surface than i am being knocked out by a boxer.. i think getting slammed is more likely but just as damaging, and i feel i can cover up pretty well and frustrate an untrained "boxer."

at 146lbs, i'm not an imposing figure or anything, and i'm sure i look really, uh, liftable to some thug who happened to wrestle in high school. so i'd prefer not to get suplexed on my head. =)

so my primary focus/concern for self defense is the takedown, although i think ground skills are necessary to give you confidence in your standup grappling game. i know very basic striking skills (from boxing and muay thai), and i would use that in a fight, but my ideal is to have a good competence staying on my feet/taking someone off their feet so i can either maintain my standing mobility or use jiujitsu to control/injure someone on the ground.

most of my training is sport-oriented, but i'm constantly concerned with non-sport applications. lately, when grappling, i've been trying to control both of my opponent's hands to practice keeping them away from any weapons they might have pocketed.

also i was just telling a guy (who i had just kneebarred) that i would never kneebar someone in a streetfight, because they have the freedom of movement to knife you in the kidney, etc.

personally i'm discontent with judo in a lot of ways, because my club tends to be sadly uncreative and "pure sport Judo" about things, and with bjj as well because they almost always start from their knees. i wish there was a place around here that did no-gi submission wrestling, starting from standing, because that describes best what i'm currently interested to learn.

most people these days don't wear kimonos (or even jackets, most of the year), so i'd prefer not to train for streetfights in 19th century japan. but i take what i can get. =)

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 3:11pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    i train for fitness, but also for self-defense. i train judo and bjj because i think grappling is a better base for self-defense than pure striking, since if you keep punching someone i think they will very likely grab you/tackle you to make you stop.
    leere_form, just out of curiosity, why the self defense focus?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, I view "self defense" as being when someone shoves you or takes a swing at you and you have to defend yourself. I differentiate that type of situation from a (violent) criminal assault such as a mugging or rape. Keeping in mind those descriptions, I train MA for sport, fitness and self defense. For criminal assaults I believe in awareness/crime avoidance and being armed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 4:09pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because there's no rule that says people have to value the lives or health of others, or even that they have to be rationally self-interested.

i also have pretty strong feelings about justice. when it comes down to it, i think it would be wrong to passively let a wacked-out homeless guy *stab me* just to take my wallet for crack money. he can have the money, that's fine, i'll willingly throw him my wallet and maybe the police can catch him for that later..

but if he's assaulting me despite my compliance, i feel obligated to defend myself.. because i guess i believe assaulting or killing an innocent person is wrong, and allowing it to happen is wrong by extension.

violent situations happen sometimes whether you're looking for them or not, and you might as well have a few additional self-defense options to increase your survivability. i tend to believe if violence finds you when you weren't looking for it, then you probably don't deserve to be injured by it.. on the other hand, if you're the aggressor, i have little sympathy for you.

so.. in short, because some people are crazy as ****, and too dumb to be reasoned with.
    Last edited by leere_form; 5/16/2007 4:12pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For SD i lift weights and have begun running. When I train judo, bjj or mt i try to think to the fighting scenarios around what I am doing, but I wouldn't say I train FOR sd. The best defense is being in good shape, being aware of your surroundings and keeping your mouth shut. If that doesn't work I run. If that doesn't work I hope to punch and dump.

When I did krav it was for self defense for the same reason listed above. Great conditioning at the school and basic punching and kicking. We did stress based drills and drills to get your agression out. There was no paranoia talk...the main focus was always escaping the situation. If you couldn't escape you should be able and ready to fight. I think they did a good job.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 6:35pm

Style: jidokwan tkd,hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train for SD and sport as I feel each improves the other. Though I train sport more as I don't have to fight without rules much. Just to clarify, I view sport as any fight with any kind of rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 6:51pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train to hit people as hard as I can, as quickly as I can, and to win as quickly as I can. If I was in a self-defense situation, I'd rely on my extensive experience as a sprinter.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast