Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:17am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you train for self defense, why, and what is valid self defense training?

There has been a lot of talk lately about the str33t vs. the mat/ring and other such stuff. What I was hoping to find out is what percentage of your training is self defense oriented, if any? In addition, if you train for self defense, what sort of training do you do? Also, if you spend a fair portion of your training doing self defense do you feel that it is just something you do because you enjoy that type of training or is it because you feel that it is a necessity due to your location, occupation or other reasons?

Personally I do BJJ, white belt, for the workout and because I enjoy it. For some background I am 53 years old, 6’1’’ and weigh around 240. I have always worked out and lifted weights. I am a former member of the US Marine Corps. My views on self defense are geared around avoidance. I work in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and live in the Jersey suburbs. I take the train to work and used to coach girls softball and soccer. Since getting married and having kids, a long time ago, I can honestly say that I have not had any incidents where violence would have been required. My daughters have had a few boyfriends I wouldn’t have minded choking out, but that’s another story.

I hope this becomes a thread on why you as an individual train the way you do. Please no street vs. sport generic nutriding, there is a thread like that in the CMA forum that’s hot and heavy right now.

Thanks.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty similar in profile.

40 y/o 6' 0 240 lbs.

Married 1 boy, 18 years at Skilled Trades.

I started Karate with my son after he tired of hockey.

I played Goalie in my 30's but got tired of the win at all costs mentality of some teammates.

( finished my last season with 3 shutouts in 4 games and got bitched at for letting in 2 goals in a 2-0 defeat)

I like the workout, it keeps my weight in check and my blood pressure under control (weight related)

I don't do anything D34d1y, I just like to work out and spar.

If someone wants my car or money, they can have it.

Threaten the safety of my family, and I'll find out how much I've learned.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very little of my BJJ is self-defense orientated. We tend to stick to the sports jits. I've done the BJJ self-defense stuff once where we did defense against headlock, bearhug ect. As for judo, pretty much 100% sport focus. I don't mind this because in my opinion, the thing that matters most for self defense is a functional delivery system which is best obtained through straight sports.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an athlete who participates in a sport for the purposes of fitness and competition. Any self-defence benefits I get from that are just side-effects.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD (ITF)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    very nearly 43, 5'9'', 210lbs
    Started TKD(ITF) as my 3 boys started it and seemed to enjoy it, it keeps me fit and healthy.

Recently started full contact Aiki Kyusho Jujutsu to get some pratical self-defence for a slow old guy and found out that it's also great fun (even when your instructor strikes you in the notch in the throat to show how effective it is).

I'm unlikely to get mugged where I live due to being in a village with one of the lowest crime rates in England and also being older helps, youths tend to target other youths where I am. So hopefully I'll never need to defend myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 9:04am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess i started training with self defence in mind (i was living in a rough part of East London at the time) although like yourself i'm 6'1 and 220lbs so i've always been fairly capable when it came to looking after myself.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    I'm an athlete who participates in a sport for the purposes of fitness and competition. Any self-defence benefits I get from that are just side-effects.
    Yup. Sure I can easily **** up joe-random-guy now, but that's not why I train.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:26am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started trining in _ing _un after getting robbed managing a bank branch. Those classes were ALL about "what if" scenarios. To be honest, it made me a paranoid wreck.

"always try to run, but what if you have your family there with you and someone is holding you up with a knife?"

I spent a lot of time and energy running those sceanarios in my head whenever me, my wife and two kids were out and about. Ridiculous. I am 32 and live in the suburbs, give me a break.

Now that I do BJJ, it is all competition based and I love it. As someone earlier posted, any self defense skills I gain are secondary.

thanks bullshido!

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made a thread like this a while ago. I wanted to know how people who said they trained for self defense, Omega, Shuma etc. trained. Was it situation stuff on top of the normal padwork, drills etc. and or 2 on 1 sparring.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do focus on SD more than sport but the sport part does a hell of a lot to hone my SD skills. After grappling and fighting with guys training to do the same thing on a regular basis makes it easier to deal with others.

Also not all SD training needs to be the same. Some of the whackos think EVERY SD situation is life and death and thats not the case. If pple ask me for SD training I gear it to their environment. If they are 16 and just don't want to be picked on in school (there is a kid in the gym for just that reason and he's gone for being picked on to being avoided) I am not going to train them to serious hurt someone but enough to handle the situation. If its a young woman who has to work in a bad area or at a job likely to make her a target then we focus on that. You can't cover everything but getting used to the situations you are likely to face works better than worrying about the marauding group of ninjas waiting to kill you at a moments notice.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast