Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient
    Macho:

I know we talked about it in my other thread but I agree about the FFA site: to me it looks like a trainwreck. It is kind of strange since it used to be "normal" and (IMHO) much better before they went with the Furey Format. Although the flipside is that it must draw in customers or it would be changed back.

However, the academy and the Avellan's are top notch so it isn't an indicator of Bullshido in this case.
    Exactly!!! But just imagine people who are dojo-shopping for serious training, but

1) don't know who's who, and
    2) don't know about bs.net or similar sites that can point them in the right direction.

They hit the FFA site and naturally will have a "WTF?" and turn tails. For the type of audience serious schools aim for, this type of marketing gimmicks are counterproductive IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    You tell him!
    I'm actually going to :tongue3:

I'm going to post a review on his bw exercise DVD (which I strongly recommend), and I'll tell him my opinion about this marketing strategy. I honestly believe this can be counterproductive to him and what he has to offer.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:32am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is pretty hilarious. There were some parts that made me wonder whether or not he is truly serious.

"You know what stagnation means? Death and decay! We don't want that... I mean, look around [gestures to some graffiti covered buildings behind him]"

"This is the urban jungle -- you don't wanna go down here."

Hilarious. Makes me want to release my own line of crappy self defense DVD's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 2:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arhetton
    lol!! hey how come your rep is so terrible? Did you make a bunch of silly posts when you first joined up?

I've written some dumb **** on other forums * blushes*
    Yeah I did, I wanted to see how much bad rep I could get. That was stupid cause my posts are actually (or at least meant to be) good now.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 1:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha well your social experiment worked.

In regards to me saying something to that enormous grappling instructor... Not in person thanks very much! Maybe via emails/the interwebs. But I would be doing him a favour I think. In my experience most martial arts schools get referrals via word of mouth and net enquiries/lookups, and in that order. Having a good website is now a prime marketing method.

I forgot part of the template-

if its RBSD, make silly faces!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 2:10am

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arhetton

In regards to me saying something to that enormous grappling instructor...
    Thats Rhadi Fergusson the judoka.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 6:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really study judo so I'm not aware of its 'celebrities' (if he is one?), but thanks for letting me know.

Actually I'm not really very familiar with pro fighting and famous martial artists in general.

And hes not scary cause he does judo. Hes scary cause hes massive.

Also - didnt teh gr4ppl3 come from judo?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 8:01am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google him on the web. Rhadi is the only guy to compete in the Olympics, ADCC and BJJ world championships. If you saw Jeff Monson in the last Pride Rhadi was in his corner. Great grappler awesome coach and a fiend for conditioning.

Oh and he setups up his double leg with a seoi nage(shoulder throw)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 7:51pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy sounds like a monster, I remember getting some kind of free e-newsletter about judo from a black guy so maybe this was him, I'm bad with names so it's hard to remember. I thnk the one was actually a bit smaller, this guy has a barrel ab chest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 9:08pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What many of you are failing to realize is that the Matt Furey marketing strategy employed by the likes of Rhadi Ferguson are not meant as advertisements to people who already train. They are marketing for the complete novice or n00b who knows NOTHING about martial arts. They are operating on the basis that they have about 30 seconds to attract the consumers attention before they click to another webpage and forget all about them.

Believe me, it WORKS! I work with a Lloyd Irvin affiliate. Lloyd & Rhadi go WAY BACK! I used to train under both of them when I was dabbling in the grappling arts. Their skills are no f-ing joke.....

But as someone who is already in the martial arts "scene", so to speak, these websites are rather over the top. However, as I already said, someone who is already knowledgeable of the martial arts is not who they are targetting with these ads, because we are going to find our way to them through our own research or through word of mouth.

OFF TOPIC (but still a great anecdote):

One of my fondest memories of training with Lloyd & Rhadi... back in 1998 at Lloyd's original "hole in the wall" gym in Upper Marlboro, MD (who here remembers that place?!?)...

Lloyd says, "I got something new to show you...." (demonstrates a takedown on Rhadi)

Rhadi says, "I already know that one... I learned that from 'instructor x' in [insert year] while I was in Australia"

Lloyd responds, "Alright, I got one you haven't seen...." (demonstrates another move that is similar, but different)

Rhadi counters, "Nope, was shown that one by such-n-such when I was in Rio."

Lloyd: "OK, but I *know* you haven't seen this one yet.." (demonstrates another similar, but different takedown)

Rhadi: "Hah! Was shown that one at Pan-Ams...."

.....and this whole episode continued for at least 15 min's! Every single thing Lloyd pulled out of his ass, Rhadi already had been there, done that. I wish I had video of it.... two TRUE masters of their arts at work (and play)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 12:30am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably from the marketing classes he sells himself, though odds are it might've been from some other source he borrowed from.

One time I pointed out this similarity to furey because someone was using a public forum to advertise a site with this sort of presentation. Unfortunately they were mods of the forum and I got banned for asking.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast