Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the looks of the end of the first video, namely the short-lived dry firing, your friend is flinching or pulling the trigger way too hard. Of course, I'm no pro.
    Last edited by teddy_bear; 5/26/2007 7:33pm at .

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 3:06am

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    From the limited views in the videos, the only problems I can see are what you mentioned. More specifically, these are the problems I see:
    1. His left hand is too high on the pistol. It should be lower, with roughly the center of his palm under the magazine, so that he can control the vertical axis of the pistol (i.e muzzle flip) with a push/pull mechanic; with his left hand as high as he has it, the push/pull mechanic would control the horizontal axis.
    2. He needs to bend his elbows, keeping his elbows straight presents the following problems:
      1. Recoil becomes a straight-line force into his upper back, exaggerating its effect on his point of aim and throwing his entire body off balance.
      2. He can't use his forearm muscles to direct the pistol.
      3. Controlling recoil no longer makes efficient use of muscle groups. He will have to rely on his upper arms, chest, upper back, and abs rather than his arms and upper back. His back will receive the brunt of the force, since he can't use elbow flexion to absorb the initial shock, which could cause strain. Furthermore, the straight-line force could strain his upper arm muscles if they lack tone.
    3. His grip needs to be more firm. With a firm grip, he can use his forearms to determine the point of aim while his hands hold the pistol in the correct position.
    On second thought, I might just be saying this because I naturally use a Weaver Stance; he looks like he might be using a (badly executed) Isosceles Stance.

you know, i think i've told him all of those things on seperate occasions, but i think he just forgets. i've told him not to use that monstrocity of an iso. stance on multiple occasions, but i think i stopped caring. but yeah, i'm copying all of your replies and showing him that more than 1 person thinks his stance and grip is horrid.
    on a side note, he was better at controlling the gun with those outstretched arms before, but he's just recovering from a 3 month chemo session for testicular cancer (anyone notice how bald he was?). so all the nasty **** they pumped into him basically reduced his muscle mass to nothing. so all the more reason for me to reteach proper posture and grip. i'm personally just thankful i still HAVE a shooting buddy.

as for me, i use both thumbs riding high and forward on wider guns like the usp and sigs, and for slightly narrower guns like 1911s and berettas, i use the "2 handed autopistol grip" shown on one of the links. as for teacup, i'd rather shoot one handed with the gun sideways.

thanks for the replies.

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 2:44pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    on a side note, he was better at controlling the gun with those outstretched arms before, but he's just recovering from a 3 month chemo session for testicular cancer (anyone notice how bald he was?). so all the nasty **** they pumped into him basically reduced his muscle mass to nothing. so all the more reason for me to reteach proper posture and grip. i'm personally just thankful i still HAVE a shooting buddy.
    I can sympathize, an inordinate number of my grade school teachers developed breast cancer (and every one of them was a favorite of mine, too). The effect of chemotherapy on muscle mass is all the more reason to correct, and renew your concern for, his posture; given the state his body is in, he need not deal with any further strain. In fact, he may well need to take a break from shooting until his body has had a chance to bounce back.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a sad heart, I have not bought the XD yet. I was hoping to buy with because my clothing allowance is in this month but I will have to wait for next month.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 10:22pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    angels cried for you, and many puppies were brutally murdered, sir.

save the lives of many a young canine next month by purchasing said XD and putting up videos of you going dirty harry on some hapless paper target.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 11:10am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've owned a Springfield XD, or more precisely, the Croatian-made HS2000 pistol that Springfield now imports and sells under their own name.

When I bought my HS2000 several years ago, I snagged it for $279.00. That was the going price at the time, and for the money spent, it was easily the best bang / buck out there.

Nothing has really changed ever since Springfield started selling it under their own name, except for the pricetag.

The gun is quite good, and even if it costs 400 bucks these days, it's still a good gun for the money. However, I liked it a lot better back when it was still the HS2000.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemistry
    I've owned a Springfield XD, or more precisely, the Croatian-made HS2000 pistol that Springfield now imports and sells under their own name.

When I bought my HS2000 several years ago, I snagged it for $279.00. That was the going price at the time, and for the money spent, it was easily the best bang / buck out there.

Nothing has really changed ever since Springfield started selling it under their own name, except for the pricetag.

The gun is quite good, and even if it costs 400 bucks these days, it's still a good gun for the money. However, I liked it a lot better back when it was still the HS2000.
    Price tag here is $510.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 11:56am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy_bear
    I think the trigger reset on the XD is about 1/2"... it's a little annoying at first if you come from, say, a Glock 17 whose trigger resets at around 1/4", but I found myself hardly noticing it after a while. One of the biggest problems I've seen with an XD is that of a loaner at a local range. Essentially the slide locks back when there are still rounds in the mag. I'd surmise to call it a failure to feed, but I'm not sure that's an adequate description. The rangemaster felt it was due to carbon buildup on the mags after about 15,000 rounds being fed through and the weapon not being cleaned during the time, but subsequent him cleaning it, the malfunction persisted.

I was looking into buying a 9mm a while back and had a similar problem with the loaner at the range I was in. The people on the inter-webs informed me that the 9mm has some part problem that you just have to send in to get modified. I forget which part, but I am pretty sure it is just for the 9mm. I eventually caved in to the $200 awesomeness of my Bersa 380. I still have a huge crush on the XD and plan on getting one of the 45's when I have that huge amount of money to spend on a gun.

...wait, Asia has a clothing allowance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 11:57am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy_bear
    Price tag here is $510.
    Dang...

Still, even for 500+, it's a decent gun, although at that point, I'm going to simply say that there are better guns for the money spent (my opinion, naturally).

I guess the only advantage now, is that you get to work with Sprinfield's excellent customer support, should something go wrong, instead of a foreign-based customer support group.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 12:15pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes yes.... the time has come.... I went to the range the other day to test Anthony's idea that the XD .40 is worth buying.... and he was right and then some! To sportsman's warehouse I say!!!!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast