Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:44pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Springfield XD Review

So I finally picked up a Spingfield XD today in 9mm. Got a deal I couldn't refuse. I'll be posting a review of the gun in the next few days, probably after the weekend when I have time to put a few hundred rounds through it. If there's anything specific you'd like to know aside from basic reliability, accuracy and feel, let me know so I can check for it.

And no, I won't be recreating Handgun Magazine's XD torture test.

I might not clean it for a while, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 6:01pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would love to know what you think..... I am this close ( *-----------------------*) to getting an XD compact in .40 this weekend.... I would like to know your opinion of how it shoots...

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at the 3 inch barrel or 4 inch barrel compact model?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 6:32pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4in. I want to conceal it, but I don't want the sub because its just too damn small.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 7:42pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Keep us updated.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have shot the .45, .40 and 9mm in the XD. And I *LOVE* them. I shoot so fucking accurately with the 9mm it is scary. I really wish I hadn't got my px4, and instead got the XD. The package deal with the case, holster, 2 mags, mag holder, and lock is sweet.

My buddy and I went to the range this month. He got the Glock. I got the XD. At 25(?) feet his first shot barely hit the target outline. I hit dead center of a 3 inch bullseye. And my buddy was a cop, and been in the military for 9 years. It was funny outshooting him all day. It isn't just me. It's just that some guns 'fit'. And that is the case with the XD. It just fits me.

Personally I like the 4" barrel. The 3" just feels way too small.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 10:11pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    I would love to know what you think..... I am this close ( *-----------------------*) to getting an XD compact in .40 this weekend.... I would like to know your opinion of how it shoots...
    I own the XD 40 compact. A very nice gun right out of the box. Trigger pull was perfect, and it is a true point and shoot weapon.

You'll enjoy it. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't get time to fire as much as I wanted to this weekend. Since I plan on mainly testing reliability, I decided to get the crappiest, nastiest, dirtiest ammo I could and keep taking the pistol out to the range. Cleaning between range sessions will consist of barrel cleaning only. Everything else will be allowed to get filthy until failures begin to happen.

Today, when checking for accuracy, groups were pretty tight, even for using such awful ammunition. I had a few as small as 2" and one that was about 4", but most of them were in the 3" to 3.5" range at 25 yards, really not bad for a 4" barrel. Not exceptional performance, either, but I didn't pay all that much for it.

The trigger was nice, it has a little bit of slack to take up, breaks cleanly and has a good feel to it overall. The trigger was just a little heavier than I like, but I've been spoiled. Perhaps I'll take my dremel to the trigger springs and lighten it a tad. The only downside to the trigger is that it has a fairly long trigger reset. For anyone who doesn't know, the trigger reset is exactly what its name implies, the place where, after firing, the trigger can be pulled again. You can find it on almost any autoloading firearm by dry firing and holding the trigger back, racking the slide or cocking the weapon and slowly allowing the trigger to travel forward. You'll feel a small click when the trigger is ready. Finding the trigger reset is a great help in rapid fire drills, but I digress.

The XD-9 functioned flawlessly through 400 rounds of Blazer 9mm. There was one malfunction, but it was not a problem with the XD. One of the rounds jammed in the barrel and would not allow the weapon into battery. It turns out the case bent and wrinkled on one side as the slide forced the round into the chamber. (I told you I was using crap ammo...)

Got it home, knocked the worst of the carbon out of the barrel, put it away filthy.

I'll post some more as I get more chances to take it to the range.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 7:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bhata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds very nice. How much did you get it for or what did you trade for it?

Posted On:
    5/20/2007 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found a lightly used XD-9 for $400. It didn't look like it'd had more than 100 rounds through it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast