Posted On:
    6/09/2007 10:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Two charged after dozens of exotic weapons seized in Ottawa

Two charged after dozens of exotic weapons seized in Ottawa

A man and a woman face more than a dozen charges after police raided an Ottawa apartment and seized almost 50 prohibited weapons, including a Yaqua blowgun with darts, and about 100 legal weapons.

After executing a search warrant at a Lees Avenue address, police said officers seized prohibited weapons that included:

* Four Tasers.
    * Six nunchaku sticks, a karate weapon.
    * Six shuriken throwing stars.
    * One Yaqua blowgun with darts.
    * One morning star, a club with a spiked ball.
    * 30 switchblades.
    * Three pairs of brass knuckles.
    * One sword cane.
    * One kusari, a chained weapon.

They also seized around 100 legal weapons, such as long swords, broad swords, fighting knives and throwing knives, some imitation and replica guns and two sets of "house break-in instruments," police said in a news release.

Mark Rennick, 32, and Krista Thomas, 33, both of Ottawa, face 18 charges each, including possession of prohibited weapons and importing prohibited weapons. They were released under conditions that include a ban on the possession of weapons, police said.

Ottawa police said the Ontario Provincial Police weapons unit and the Canadian Border Services Agency assisted in the raid, but would not say what information prompted the search warrant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/fa...erland&emc=rss

I'm surprised, no katana included in the mix.

Kusari
    http://www.livingbudo.nl/kai-o-dojo/...usari_gama.jpg
    http://www.void-oblivion.co.uk/image...sari-GamaR.jpg
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 11:52pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Canadian acolytes of Phil Elmore and Ashida Kim. Hoarding weapons for the Canadian Boxer Rebellion/US led NATO invasion.

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 3:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About time the law recognised that Ninjers are among us! They wont be able to hold them though, they will just vanish in a puff of smoke

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 12:03pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad for the ninja wannabes, but it does make me wonder about the laws in Canada. All of that weaponry listed above is no more dangerous than a baseball bat or a decent hatchet, and I doubt that those Tasers were of the good kind.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 6:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exotic weapons???? These people got busted for having fun stuff laying around their house. I sure hope the US never gets to the point where we can't own stuff because some asshole thinks his idea of exotic weaponry should include junk like this. Hell, I'm no ninja but I would sure like to keep my guns, knives, boken and tools. (is a prybar a house breaking tool?)

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 8:16am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's because of people fucking around with that stuff being idiots.

We had some customs dudes at my work the other day and we were discussing various searching techniques for vehicles and **** and got into talking a bit about what was ilegal and what wasn't. In hindsight I should have asked more questions. Some of the stuff really surprised me like throwing stars, sap gloves.

I think a lot of it has to do with the nature of the weapons in that they can easily be hidden or something?
    My katana isn't illegal BUT a sword that you can hide inside a cain is. I'm in the middle of getting my friend in afghanistan to legally send me a few pistols (glok 17, H&K USP, colt 1911 type, and somehow a brand new SVD.)
    I'll try and find the little card that says whats actually illegal and what isn't.

I guess what happens a lot is if you have a few illegal things they will just take everything.

One thing I found on martial arts related weapons

The Criminal Code has a number of provisions which bear on martial arts weapons. The most specific are the regulations which prohibit certain weapons. Under section 91(3), possession of a prohibited weapon is a criminal offence. Prohibited weapons are defined in s. 84(1) and its regulations. The following martial arts weapons are prohibited:
    (a) a knife with a retractable or folding blade which, by design or through wear, will open by centrifugal force or gravity, or by a spring or similar device. This has been interpreted by the courts to include a butterfly knife;
    (b) nunchaku or similar objects made up of hard, non-flexible sticks linked by a flexible length of chain. This includes objects where the sticks are replaced by, for example, pipes or other rigid pieces, and where the chain is replaced by rope, wire or other flexible material;
    (c) shuriken or similar objects which are made of a hard, non-flexible material in an essentially two-dimensional regular geometric form with one or more sharp edges;
    (d) manrikigusari or kusari or similar objects which are made up of geometrically-shaped hard weights or hand grips linked by rope, chain, wire or other flexible material;
    (e) a push dagger, namely a knife where the blade is perpendicular to the handle;
    (f) any item under 30 cm which looks like another object but which conceals a blade;
    (g) spiked wristbands;
    (h) blowguns;
    (i) manually-triggered telescoping spring-loaded steel whips;
    (j) morning stars or similar items consisting of a ball of metal or similar heavy material studded with spikes and connected to a handle by a length of rope, chain, wire or other flexible material;
    (k) brass knuckles or similar items.
    Last edited by vigilus; 6/12/2007 8:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice to see laws that apparently came from taking too many 80's ninja movies seriously...

similar objects which are made up of geometrically-shaped hard weights or hand grips linked by rope, chain, wire or other flexible material
    Oh snap! There goes my boat anchor.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 10:31am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cane swords are actually legal in Canada... at least according to my reading of the prohibited regulations.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Christ, Canada, you're making us look bad. We told Iceland you were cool. Get it together!

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 8:37am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Cane swords are actually legal in Canada... at least according to my reading of the prohibited regulations.
    Yeah, that's always been my impression as well, although might want to cancel one's dinner plans if the cops find you carrying one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast