Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 1:01pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    Pretty much, but I caused a lot of the yelling. You really shouldn't refer to your teachers with a pet name you've given them. "Willow-sensei" is still funny.
    I would not give him a nickname for my own safety. Seeing as he occasionally likes to test our readiness with surprise ball checks, I would be worried what he may try to do to me if he was pissed:new_blueg

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I've read the whole article, and Ma ChuanXu does spout a ton of garbage in regards to Cultivating Qi. At the same time I don't doubt that in his youth he was a capable fighter. During the Cultural Revolution anything that was considered a representation of the old China was attacked, that could/would have included martial arts practioners. He could have easily been in a few street scraps because he trained in something that was considered the "Old" China.

He also talked about having to cross hands with students of other Masters when his teacher would take him to train with someone else, that still happens today to an extent both in China as well as outside of it (at least in serious schools).

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 1:32pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Ok I've read the whole article, and Ma ChuanXu does spout a ton of garbage in regards to Cultivating Qi. At the same time I don't doubt that in his youth he was a capable fighter.
    So? No one ever disputed this. It seems you're defending him, but it's unclear whom you are defending him from. The assertion is that what he says about "Qi" and about celibacy is bullshit of the hilarious kind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 1:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    So? No one ever disputed this. It seems you're defending him, but it's unclear whom you are defending him from. The assertion is that what he says about "Qi" and about celibacy is bullshit of the hilarious kind.
    absolutely.

perhaps i wasn't clear when i started this thread. i never said i doubted he could fight, or that internal ma or chinese ma, or any other ma (except for _ing _un, of course) sucked.

i was calling attention to the ridiculousness of his claims and his teaching methods.

perhaps some buttocks smoothing and grain path lifting is in order?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your body requires one week to recover after one sexual intercourse.
    I must have the bone structure of a kung fu genius, because it only takes me like half an hour to recover.

...Hehe, "bone structure"

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craphonso
    absolutely.

perhaps i wasn't clear when i started this thread. i never said i doubted he could fight, or that internal ma or chinese ma, or any other ma (except for _ing _un, of course) sucked.

i was calling attention to the ridiculousness of his claims and his teaching methods.

perhaps some buttocks smoothing and grain path lifting is in order?
    Don't forget to "Lift Anus" when working on your posture. :icon_conf

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 9:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan6
    Wah, waah, WAAAH!

You sir are a racist.
    Get off our site you whiny bitch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 9:22pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You sir are a racist.
    As much as reading that article made me all the more embarassed to be from the same country as that old geezer, it didn't pain me enough to call someone a racist.

lol at the thread title too.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well then make it clear in the first place dumbass.
    Why should he make it clear that he didn't say X, when all he said was Y? This wouldn't be an issue if people didn't accuse him of making claims he never uttered.

In that case first you need to understand whether Mr.Ma is fluent in english or the transcript is a translation. Chinese and most asian languages face certain barriers when translated into english or when asian speakers try to express "Eastern" ideas into english.
    So take note that the transcripts may contain many metaphors or possible misinterpreted/expressed ideas.
    This is probably true, but I'll wager that "celibacy" isn't so very difficult to translate, which means it's still bullshit.

Secondly do not attack another culture just because you don't understand it. Internal energy, chi ect are all spiritual concepts ingraned into the chinese culture just like the concept of God and praying in western culture. Neither are proven to work or exist but people still believe it.
    I call bullshit on "internal energy", "chi", et cetera. Show me someone who thinks their martial art uses faith energy, or is powered by God, Vishnu, Captain Planet, or some other fictional character, and I'll call bullshit on that, too.

To that end attacking the individual in question on the basis of ideas and/or comments possible mistranslated or misunderstood is racism in the highest degree.
    I know this is tricky, but close pay attention. Racism is prejudice on the basis of race (hence the first syllable of racism). Ideas and comments expressed by a person are not consequences of their race, but of their thoughts and beliefs. Ridiculing someone for having stupid ideas is therefore an assault on their thoughts and beliefs, not on their race. Unless you are implying that ethnic Chinese are inherently prone to spouting bullshit? In that case, you are a racist.

I have no tolerance for the notion, by the way, that some ideas should be above examination, requests for evidence, questioning, or even ridicule, just because they happen to be "religious" or "spiritual". Someone clever once said, to paraphrase, "Censorship is protection for ideas that can't protect themselves". It seems to me that it is one of this website's commendable qualities that this philosophy is followed. Occasionally with a degree of crudeness, but truth is more important to me than political correctness or courtesy.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHAT?! Now your ripping on racists!

What do you have against racists?
    I hate racists. Those smelly fuckers should go back to where they came from.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast