Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Building a Home Gym?

I have a 1 car garage that I would like to convert to a home gym. I downloaded the .pdf from the cross fit site and liked what I saw. Since I focus on bodyweight stuff and stretching I thought I would start with most essential and/or cheapest items and expand from there.

1. Mats/Flooring
    2. Chin up bar
    3. Jump Rope
    4. Resistance tubing
    5. Stereo!

Any thoughts/suggestions on this scheme? The Crossfit .pdf suggests a rower for cardio as well. Are these a very effective form of cardio?

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 1:34pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rowers are great but a little expensive for a decent one. I'd stick to running or cycling to be honest for the cardio

You might also want a weighted vest, decent resistance bands from a company such as Iron Woody or Jump Stretch, thick rope, some weights eg dumbells, kettlebells.

Are you familiar with Ross Enamait? If not check out his stuff at www.rosstraining.com

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    manlike, though you want to concentrate on bodyweights, it would be great if you can a few pairs of dumbells. I personally have a pair of reebok adjustable dumbbells (can go from 10 to 25lbs each), 2x60lbs and 2x30lbs dumbbells with their handles converted to 2" thickbars, one 50lbs, resistance tubes, jump ropes, puzzle mats and two cinder blocks.

The only thing missing is a sandbag for throwing and stuff.

If I could only have space for a squat rack and a heavy bag, I would be a happy man.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Guys,

Can you tell me more about the sandbags?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:39pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by manlike
    Thanks Guys,

Can you tell me more about the sandbags?
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54334

Take a look at these links. The zips with .pdf files have a number of guides. The description of how to make some of this stuff is in these books.