Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 8:18am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

N00B Guard Passing/Posture up question

My work schedule has been interfering with my class schedule again so I haven't had a chance to ask this in class, and I'm not sure when I will be able to so I'm posting it in Guantanamo.

One of my training partners is quite a bit taller than I am and whenever I end up in his guard he does the double wrist grab thing and keeps pulling my arms forward, I can posture up by bracing myself on his stomach, but then whenever I start trying to break his legs open he yanks my arms back out. Is there a better way to break his guard open? His legs are long enough that just shoving my knee into his butt doesn't work and when he has my wrists and I try that I end up getting off balance and swept. I need some tips on how to deal with the whole wrist grabbing thing from inside my opponents guard.

Thanks.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a thread in this forum about posture and opening the guard, I think it was started in tabwyo's name. The first thing I would recommend is to review the brief five minute instructional Saulo Ribeiro has online, his opening the guard (download video 6) instructional is probably the best free five minutes of instruction you can get to open someone's guard. Try what he advocates there to start.

However, that sort of opening doesn't work great on people with super long limbs. Alternatives include standing and forcing a knee through. Others will be able to describe the mechanics better than I though.

EDIT:
    Similar discussion:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52335
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 5/15/2007 8:48am at .

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 8:47am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent, thanks. I'll review that vid and try to find the thread in here. Even if it doesn't specifically address my situation I'm sure it will have some applicable stuff in it.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 12:44pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I looked at that vid and read through the other threads. It still looks like an assumption is being made that you are have your arms free to use to help pass. No one seems to be presenting any tips on how to break guard when your opponent is deathgripping your wrists and yanking them to break you back down. I end up getting involved in some kind of aikidoesque wristgrab escape frenzy while trying to break guard after getting postured up. Anyone that can offer any tips or point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. I should be able to get back to class next monday, but I'd like to be able to find a good way to deal with this before then.

Thanks!

Edit: JNP had one that might work when they are yanking your wrists, I'm not sure though, it still relies pretty heavily on being able to push at them with your arms to break guard.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 9:01pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, mad props to JNP, that worked like a FREAKING CHARM. I was able to pass essentially no handed several times. Absolutely awesome. Thanks guys!!