Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 12:10pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not with gi or while wearing a jacket on the str33t. If someone gets ahold of you it stalls out the shoot, then you need to be prepared for other options. If a good judoka gets a grip on you, you have little chance to drop and drive in a shoot. From range before anyone gets a grip, sure, it is your best option. But against a lot of decent grapplers if you shoot from that far away, they'll see it coming, sprawl, get a grip, and have control.

In no-gi, it is definitely one of the stronger takedowns from range. From clench, not quite so much.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 12:12pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    Greetings all.

This is someting I have come to realise. It seems to me that if you have a good Double/Single Leg Shot, then that is the best takedown one can ever use. I am speaking from both experiance in Freestyle Wrestling and BJJ/MMA. It's easy to learn, quick to execute and very hard to defend against.

I have "Backup" moves like the Arm Throw, Hip Toss or maybe even the Cross Body Throw. But it seems to me 9 out of 10 times a good Leg Shot is the best thing to get your opponant on the ground.

Has anyone else found this.

NO, ya lazy bastard.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 7:22pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Not with gi or while wearing a jacket on the str33t. If someone gets ahold of you it stalls out the shoot, then you need to be prepared for other options. If a good judoka gets a grip on you, you have little chance to drop and drive in a shoot. From range before anyone gets a grip, sure, it is your best option. But against a lot of decent grapplers if you shoot from that far away, they'll see it coming, sprawl, get a grip, and have control.

In no-gi, it is definitely one of the stronger takedowns from range. From clench, not quite so much.
    depends on how high the clinch is and how good you are. I'm short, play a relatively low clinch and i love shootign from clinch, and I usually get it.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most retarded fucking thing I've ever heard.

Look at the Monson/Sylvia fight. No amount of shooting was gonna help Monson get in close enough because Sylvia knew that was his game plan. Now look at when Sylvia fought Couture. No shoot whatsoever, all upper body throws. And he owned Sylvia. This has been tried over and over again. The shoot has become so popular that EVERYONE now trains heavily how to defend it. St Peirre is a good example.

Everyone knows how to sprawl. Shooting takes a lot of energy tiring you out faster. And if you're a shooter, everyone knows you're a shooter and will double up on their sprawl practice. But how do you defend clinch throws? Its not as easy as practicing a single defense, like a sprawl.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 10:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    Leg shots for me get the job done faster and easier. That's all.
    When I was a young wrestler I had a great shot. I could take down most folks who weren't accomplished wrestlers. Now I'm 38 and both my knees are trashed. I'm glad I took the time to develop my upper body and hip toss takedowns in my youth because otherwise I wouldn't have any kind of takedown game at this point.

Diversify your takedown game only if you want to be more than a one-dimensional takedown artist.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 10:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a preference for singles, but not from a shot. I'll hit a single from a clinch, from under side control, from under knee on stomach, from tie ups, from places that surprise me. I seem to have some intuition about isolating a leg, getting hips in and posturing up, lifting and throwing.

So in my opinion, nothing wrong with having specialties. However, if you think that's all you need you're mistaken. Develop a well rounded game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that singles and doubles work great against some people and not so hot against other people. I wouldn't go so far as to say that a good shot will take anyone down, because just as you have a great shot, some people are great at defending against singles and doubles. I agree with jnp; don't become dependent on any single move.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 11:53pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    But how do you defend clinch throws? Its not as easy as practicing a single defense, like a sprawl.

That is also the "Most retarded fucking thing I've ever heard. "
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 3:14am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's important to have decent leg shoots, but this thread is ridiculous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:10am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good leg shot is almost impossible to defend. What makes a good leg shot is not just the speed of how its done but also the way it is set up. I always had a real fast leg shot but it wasnt untill i started to get good at setting it up that I started to see results. The leg shot is by no means the be all and end all of grappling. Different opponents have different weaknesses and what you do should be designed to exploit those weaknesses.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast