Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 2:51am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My New Smith and Wesson 38 Special…Film Noir Style…

I was sitting alone in my office…I spend too much time alone. I don’t know if I should call it my office, since I haven’t had a new case in weeks. Maybe it was my home…more like home that that cheep flophouse I rent down on Bennett Street.

I always tell people that I don’t drink alone, but tonight was an exception, just like every other night. I reach for the only thing I can trust, my new Smith and Wesson Model 36 revolver. It holds five shots of 38 Special and fits close to my hip, that last thing that held me that close was my ex-wife; at least this piece of cold steal had only been through a few hands…unlike my Ex.

I load it up with five rounds of Cor-Bon +P ammunition. Expensive stuff, 20 bucks a box, but worth it for my line of work.

Maybe tomorrow will bring a new case, wrapped up in the form of a Brunet with great gams…or maybe not…

BTW, I purchased a new gun and have been watching too many old films…

A few links

http://www.snubnose.info/

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/snub.html

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OOoo...you're a little bit closer to looking like Det. Sipowicz.

But how about some presentable pictures?

Last edited by Nid; 5/15/2007 7:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 2:16pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice BUG that you have there.

Have you considered trying Speer's newer Gold Dot loads that were designed for shorter barrel guns? They do make a 130 grain +P Gold Dot hollowpoint load that expands under reduced velocities that you get when going from a 4" to a 2" barrel, and it seems to be quite popular amongst those who own J-frame sized revolvers, and seems to do a better job of reliably expanding compared to the Sierra bullet used in the Corbon.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 8:49pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    OOoo...you're a little bit closer to looking like Det. Sipowicz.
    Det. Sipowicz? Det Sipowitz! I was going more for Sam Spade or maybe even Lenny Briscoe, but Sipowitz!

Quote Originally Posted by chemistry
    Have you considered trying Speer's newer Gold Dot
    I would have bought Gold Dot as they are my favorite round but the store was all out so I bought Corbon.

I do worry about what a +p round might do to the gun. It is not new, probably manufactured in the 1970s. It still has the firing pin on the hammer if that tells you anything. The gun looks brand new and has probably only fired about 100 rounds. I really don’t what to damage it with +p rounds or have a Kaboom. On the other hand I got the gun for self-defense and don’t what to load it up with low velocity rounds that will not expand upon impact.

It’s a bit of a pickle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 12:18pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    I do worry about what a +p round might do to the gun. It is not new, probably manufactured in the 1970s. It still has the firing pin on the hammer if that tells you anything. The gun looks brand new and has probably only fired about 100 rounds. I really don’t what to damage it with +p rounds or have a Kaboom. On the other hand I got the gun for self-defense and don’t what to load it up with low velocity rounds that will not expand upon impact.
    A few +P rounds isn't going to destroy your gun, especially since I'm guessing that you'd only use the +P rounds for defensive purposes anyways.

Besides, if you have to worry about using a constant diet of +P rounds from a backup gun, then I'd be more worried about what kind of work you're doing! :)

Another option you may want to think about are the standard pressure Federal Nyclad hollowpoints. These use a nylon jacket (nothing illegal about them in any way, shape or form), and the core is a relatively soft lead that does expand reliably, even out of a snubbie. It's getting harder to find, but it is still around in some circles.