5/15/2007 1:01pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ma1234
    Video page on a website linked by the main Autodefence site:

http://www.autoobrana.sk/videogaleria.htm
    Check out Zena!
    She aint no warrior princess ... and why does she attempt to chainpunch the guy's armpit at the end??
    blahblah.autoobrana.sk/video/zena3.mpg

Its all AWFUL.
    OK, maybe Zena1 (knee to the face, gnarly) isn't too awful, but all the rest
    are shudderingly useless, especially for poor wimpy Zena. That slow-mo guy is just gonna get really angry... once the beta-blockers, valium and weed wear off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 12:01pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do any Chunners have an opinion of this stuff?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 12:39pm

Style: EBMAS WT ,Latosa Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ma1234
    Video page on a website linked by the main Autodefence site:

http://www.autoobrana.sk/videogaleria.htm

Everything looks very very dead, without true resistance from a live opponent. Reminds me of my time in wing chun, with our sifu constantly telling us to "respect your partner's techniques" (in other words, let them execute whatever technique they were going for)

Also I see zero grappling of any kind, alive or dead.

It's not bullshido, per se, it's just more wing chun in a shiny new package. Draw your own conclusions.

The drills in those vids look like they were just taught 2 min before filming, or on the spot.
    Last edited by WT_Noob; 5/16/2007 12:41pm at . Reason: punctuation error

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 5:50am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nick Smart Himself is a pretty good instructor.
    (and yeah Cro Cop apparently trains in his system)

But i'm not fully convinced by the quality of his instructors or by the training methods they use.(It's essentially Leung Ting Lineage Wing Tsun but they dont seem to do any 'alive' training and like alot of 'Self Defence' systems seems to be heavily reliant on 'what if 'scenarios)

And lets Face it 'Auto Defence' is a pretty gay name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 11:09am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Do any Chunners have an opinion of this stuff?
    From reading the webpage I sort of came away with the impression that the system was developed cut down on the time it takes to learn WT. Frankly, though, it doesn't look like anything new. The drills look the same. The forms are still there. The "sparring" videos looked awful. They were just a step (a very small step) above static drills. I'm not seeing anything that differentiates this from just about all of the other WC/WT stuff we've seen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 4:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those videos are awfull, no wonder people hate Wing Chun so much if that is the representation of the style. Take the pad work, what is the point? why would anyone train like that? I do pad work in my class, but we MOVE and hit hard with whatever combiantion we feel like. If we are even just practising using knees, still hard, still alive.

And the form is sloppy as well. If they can not even do the second section of the first form then they do not have the real wing chun. I have been wanting to say that for a while now :mblah05:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 4:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, and, this is just getting to me, as here I have been hobbling around with bruises and aching muscles after a harder than normal training session (which was great fun admitedly) and some insipid pansies give other people good ammunition to take the piss out of the style I train in. wankers, why don't they just do aikido like every other hippy?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2007 3:50am

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5
    And, and, this is just getting to me, as here I have been hobbling around with bruises and aching muscles after a harder than normal training session (which was great fun admitedly) and some insipid pansies give other people good ammunition to take the piss out of the style I train in. wankers, why don't they just do aikido like every other hippy?
    Hey, respect to anyone battering their arms against those wooden dummys!
    We have one at the garage at which I 'train', and it looks like a great method of arm conditioning for close-in tangled-up striking ... but it always looks like w_ng ch_n doesn't do the 'right thing' with all that ammunition, just my uneducated opinion.

Ty5, repect for anyone bruised from realistic sparring too, which is what I assumed you meant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing with Wing Chun is it is a Traditional Chinese Martial Art, with all the baggae that this brings with it.

There are elements within Wing Chun that any decent school (ie not autodefense WT) teaches that when compared to a lot of other popular TMA like Karate, Aikido, TKD and all the rest do stand out well as being rooted in common sense and practical apllicaiton.

But as a TCMA Wing Chun limits itself, and r33l st33t combat does not respect the fact that certain moves are not in the forms. Why Wing Chun gets the piss taken out of it so much is down to the fact that SOME variants of Wing Chun market themselves as the ultimate deadly fighting styles - and when they are pulled up about the areas that are lacking like grappling, they then bolt on extra bits to wing chun such as teh deadly Emin Bozepe crapple.

Also the schools that tend to boast the most are the ones which train the softest, look most disimilar to old school wing chun and lack any of the cultural references. My school for instance has it's own Lion Dance team, that won't help anyone in the st33t but it is part of the cultural heritage of Kung Fu, which I am pround of.

No one take the piss out of Judo because Judo players don't make out the are the deadly martial artistis, the truth is some practioners of Wing Chun only have themselves to blame. WC is good at what it does, which is fighting in ONE range - which is of course a limitation in real life.

Any practioner should (if they have a decent school) realise there are elements to WC that are applicable to reality but also understand that the style is limited, as it limits itself - if it did not then it would cease to be a TCMA, and the world would loose an aspect of a culture going back at least 300 years.
    Last edited by ty5; 5/19/2007 2:03pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 10:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

There are elements within Wing Chun that any decent school (ie not autodefense WT) teaches that when compared to a lot of other popular TMA like Karate, Aikido, TKD and all the rest do stand out well as being rooted in common sense and practical apllicaiton.
    Uhmm No. You really need to explain this further because WC has as much outlandish **** as common sense. Standing next to the arts you just named, it doesn't look like it has any better common sense.
    But as a TCMA Wing Chun limits itself, and r33l st33t combat does not respect the fact that certain moves are not in the forms. Why Wing Chun gets the piss taken out of it so much is down to the fact that SOME variants of Wing Chun market themselves as the ultimate deadly fighting styles - and when they are pulled up about the areas that are lacking like grappling, they then bolt on extra bits to wing chun such as teh deadly Emin Bozepe crapple.
    Let's steer away from specific people. Discuss the merits or not at all. That goes for you to BlueBelt1980.

Also the schools that tend to boast the most are the ones which train the softest, look most disimilar to old school wing chun and lack any of the cultural references. My school for instance has it's own Lion Dance team, that won't help anyone in the st33t but it is part of the cultural heritage of Kung Fu, which I am pround of.
    Videos books of old school WC please.

]No one take the piss out of Judo because Judo players don't make out the are the deadly martial artistis, the truth is some practioners of Wing Chun only have themselves to blame. WC is good at what it does, which is fighting in ONE range - which is of course a limitation in real life.
    I agree although this applies to most Kung Fu.

Any practioner should (if they have a decent school) realise there are elements to WC that are applicable to reality but also understand that the style is limited, as it limits itself - if it did not then it would cease to be a TCMA, and the world would loose an aspect of a culture going back at least 300 years.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. Many MAers were outright thugs until the insertion of philosophy. So, Kung Fu has changed over the centuries. This whole cultural preservation is bullshit. Sorry it is. If not why are we doing 108 Posture Chen when the original Tai Chi was 13 postures? The problem with TCMA is we don't look at stuff in a Musuem we keep it real.

For example:

This is what my friend takes shooting every once in a while with a group.

It is all about cultural preservation. Getting the feel of what was used in the past. Yes, he larps. Nothing wrong with larping as long as you know the difference.
    When asked what he used for SD it was this:

We laughed, the conversation pretty much went, "ha ha imagine an intruder dying of laughter instead of a bullet." We both understand that the first gun could kill but, the time involved is ridiculous.

Cultural preservation can be maintained while, progress is still being made.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast