Page 6 of 7 First ... 234567 Last
  1. #51
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    WTF Is Maududo in Cincinnati OH

    I dont know, maybe you might want to reformat my page, or add anything I didnt put on and you think should go on there etc... Not really a priority, but this is your job, right?

    Also, I love the fact that your Taskforce is called WTF.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    325
    Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjehnztsay4026 View Post
    I dont know, maybe you might want to reformat my page, or add anything I didnt put on and you think should go on there etc... Not really a priority, but this is your job, right?

    Also, I love the fact that your Taskforce is called WTF.
    Dude, what are you on about?

    I mean seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

  3. #53
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,809
    Style
    xingyi
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimm View Post
    We earn our black belts just like everyone else.
    No, you really don't. You earn them like most terrible mcdojos, too quick and with a huge steaming pile of egotistical anger.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    120
    Style
    Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have never EVER understood styles that have you learn 1305138513803530135 different "techniques" and requirements to pass a belt exam.

    When i was doing shotokan, our school had the following movements:

    jab, reverse punch, lunge punch, back fist, inverted knife hand, knife hand, elbow strikes, hammerfists, palm heel strikes, knuckle punches.

    front snap kick, roundhouse head level, roundhouse mid level, side thrust kick, knee strike

    rising block, down block, inside block, outside block


    That was it. These were the same techniques you practiced from day one as a white belt until well after you got black belt. The only other techniques you learned were "unique" ones in kata. I don't see the reasoning behind learning 79 different ways to throw a punch, a kick, or apparently a dance move based on those PDF files i saw.

    To me, advancing in rank is about being able to show a greater understanding, greater power, and greater speed and precision in performing the techniques you know from rank to rank, not adding 0359805801350 things each time you're ready to "level up".

    There were certainly a ton of gaping holes in the style of karate i studied in the past, but it's the only one i've see that didn't have this completely retarded obsession with learning 57 new kata every rank and adding 72 new hand positions to your punching repitoire (sp?).

    From what i've read and seen, this "style" looks like crap :(

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    240
    Style
    Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ its for form, and money.

  6. #56
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    My son attends one

    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearFist View Post
    It seems in this wonderful (sarcasm) city of Cincinnati, there are numerous dojos popping up using a style called Maududo. I tried googling it, and not much there, just local articles claiming that it is such a great style, blah blah blah. I searched their site, and checked their Instructors. They have over 40 Instructors, a good portion 4th degree black belts. One 4th degree BB is........(drumroll) 16 fucking years old. Now, Im not one to knock styles or anything, but this is definitely reeking of something bad.

    How did I find this out? One of my Instructors was talking to me after class one day, shooting the **** really, and I mentioned this site. He said he checked it and liked it, makes them more aware of what's going around in this area. Questioning that, he gave me this site about something called Maududo and this one school down the street.



    Should this **** really make my head hurt THIS much?
    I just happened across this (I know it's old) this morning after trying to figure out what style the school follows.
    My son has been attending one of the Maududo schools for a little over a year now and is about to test for his brown belt in two weeks. For him the school works. He has ADHD, ODD, and anxiety and I wanted something for him to build up his confidence and to get him around other kids and out of the house. Even though he has been in the school for a while he still has periods where he shuts down and has issues with his anxiety, but he has grown tremendously since joining the school. I also liked the fact that his teacher has a son with similar diagnosis.
    That being said, I am not too comfortable with the fact that I can't find, anywhere, what style the school follows. Yeah, I am not sure a tradition and honest karate/taekwondo/jujitsu/etc school would work for my son, but still. It's the fact of the matter.
    Anyways, I take a ton of pictures and videos of my son in class, which he absolutely freaking HATES and post them on my instagram account.
    I am 1984booboo on instagram (I can't post links since I am new apparently) If you ever want to look at it and see some of the clips (the videos can only be 15 seconds long) to see if you can see what you are looking for.
    I am sure when he gets older he might want to expand his learning and try something new. I have had other suggest (if he ever gets more comfortable with sparring) trying something a little tougher.
    I also don't know if you will ever see this because the thread is so old. But, I am happy I came across this. While I know the school works, right now, for my son I learned a lot reading through what you all posted.
    And trust me, I have always questioned why it only takes them 2 1/2 - 3 months to "earn" their belts and how some of these kids can earn their belts when it is obvious during their tests that they have no idea what they are doing.

  7. #57
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,430
    Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TianaSmith View Post
    My son has been attending one of the Maududo schools for a little over a year now and is about to test for his brown belt in two weeks.
    Good to hear you've found something that works for your son. Brown belt in a little over a year though? Maaan!

  8. #58
    XmasSpiritedAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    10,071
    Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cincinnati you say? I am not sure how I missed this thread but these guys look worse than Quest Martial Arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by STREET MAUDUDO WEB SITE, CLASSES TAUGHT BY Mary Tons
    Street Smart Martial Arts Teen/Adults
    Maududo is a safe, fast paced; easy to learn system of self-defense that will help you overcome the fear of failure, the fear of others, and not feeling confident enough to protect yourself or your loved ones. We give you proven physical and mental training and proven street-tested advanced fighting skills to overcome any obstacles. You will never be afraid of any human being or fear any situation again. Students learn and progress through the following skill sets:

    Skill 1: STAND UP - How to use your hands, feet, elbows and knees in a variety of situations.
    Skill 2: GRAPPLING - What to do if you are grabbed by an attacker.
    Skill 3: KNIFE DEFENSE - How to defend against various knife attacks.
    Skill 4: LEGAL WEAPONS - Using common items as effective weapons for defending yourself.
    Skill 5: SWEEPING - Knock an opponent to the ground with leg sweeps.
    Skill 6: PRESSURE POINTS - The use of pressure points on an assailant's body can leave them weak and vulnerable.
    Skill 7: THROWING - Learn which shoulder throws and hip throws are effective against certain types of attacks.
    Skill 8: GROUND FIGHTING - Most fights end up on the ground so these skills are valuable.
    Skill 9: Chi Kung - Ancient Chinese art of breath control and relaxation.
    ...very interesting to say the least...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  9. #59
    XmasSpiritedAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    10,071
    Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TianaSmith View Post
    I just happened across this (I know it's old) this morning after trying to figure out what style the school follows.
    My son has been attending one of the Maududo schools for a little over a year now and is about to test for his brown belt in two weeks. For him the school works. He has ADHD, ODD, and anxiety and I wanted something for him to build up his confidence and to get him around other kids and out of the house. Even though he has been in the school for a while he still has periods where he shuts down and has issues with his anxiety, but he has grown tremendously since joining the school. I also liked the fact that his teacher has a son with similar diagnosis.
    Hello Tiana,

    Thank you for your input and opinions of the school. As a father I totally understand your position.
    That being said, I am not too comfortable with the fact that I can't find, anywhere, what style the school follows. Yeah, I am not sure a tradition and honest karate/taekwondo/jujitsu/etc school would work for my son, but still. It's the fact of the matter.
    I am not sure why you feel that way. There are some excellent Judo, BJJ, and combat sport schools in town.Why do you think "traditional" schools would not work for your son. Also why do you think the other options are "traditional". Most BJJ schools are far from traditional, as I define the word anyways.
    I am sure when he gets older he might want to expand his learning and try something new. I have had other suggest (if he ever gets more comfortable with sparring) trying something a little tougher.
    No one will become accustom to anything without actually doing it.
    I also don't know if you will ever see this because the thread is so old. But, I am happy I came across this. While I know the school works, right now, for my son I learned a lot reading through what you all posted.
    And trust me, I have always questioned why it only takes them 2 1/2 - 3 months to "earn" their belts and how some of these kids can earn their belts when it is obvious during their tests that they have no idea what they are doing.
    I don't know why I didn't see this thread till now...
    ... and yes your concerns are on point. If your son is a brown belt ... he is supposedly one step away from mastery or at least having a firm grasp of the basics and should be able to teach and communicate the techniques and methodologies of the style. 2 Years is not anywhere close enough to truly grok anything, much less an entire Martial Art.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  10. #60
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Hello Tiana,

    Thank you for your input and opinions of the school. As a father I totally understand your position.
    I am not sure why you feel that way. There are some excellent Judo, BJJ, and combat sport schools in town.Why do you think "traditional" schools would not work for your son. Also why do you think the other options are "traditional". Most BJJ schools are far from traditional, as I define the word anyways.

    No one will become accustom to anything without actually doing it.

    I don't know why I didn't see this thread till now...
    ... and yes your concerns are on point. If your son is a brown belt ... he is supposedly one step away from mastery or at least having a firm grasp of the basics and should be able to teach and communicate the techniques and methodologies of the style. 2 Years is not anywhere close enough to truly grok anything, much less an entire Martial Art.
    I only put that I didn't think a "traditional" school would work for my son because I had not really talked to him about how he felt about his school before finding this thread. Then after talking to him and kind of bringing up some of the things I read on here he told me it bothered him as well that kids that didn't pay attention in class 'leveled up' along side him, when it was clear as day that they were not ready. But, he is also not sure how dedicated he is or if this is something he will stick with for a longer duration.
    I think if/when we move at the end of the school year back to the East side of town (the Milford/Loveland/Goshen area) I will check out schools out that way and have my son check them out with me and get his input. I would prefer he stay in training, even if only a couple of days a week, because it gets him out of the house, around other kids (he has no kids to play with where we live or friends that he sees outside of school) and off his computer.
    I also am not sure, when the time comes for him to test again in 2 months (he just got his brown belt last night) for what they call 'recommended black belt' if I even want him to test for that one, because as you said by the time they reach that level they should have an mastery level understanding and show an immense amount of dedication. I can't begin to tell you how many of the young black belts that I see having to be reminded that they still have to stand still while the lower belts are getting their tips.
    I am very happy that I found this thread.

Page 6 of 7 First ... 234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO