Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 8:32am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the synco break. Especially the big dude on the right....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 1:40pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    evey, what exactly is a "chuk-head"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 2:14pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk
    evey, what exactly is a "chuk-head"?
    It's probably what sensi calls they guys who show up asking to spar full contact against the school. you know people who want to see the art work. Ref chuck norise At a guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 1:00am

Style: Kempo/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasnt going after Patten rather expressing my curiosity (granted it was a little off-hand at the beginning. In, which, I apologize) about the legitimacy of said school. No dojo is going to get stormed, so its no big deal. However, just because your kid goes to a school to learn the martial way, does not mean that it HAS to be legit. Some practices out there are nothing but a ploy to make money and nothing BUT money. I am not saying Patten is one of these. In fact, Im sure he is just giving back what he was taught. However, I am just curious about the legitimacy of Maududo. Others may rip on you on here, but I will say this as a practicioner of the martial arts to the parents of another: Dont always believe what you hear/see. When I started in my style years ago, I traced my instructors history back a looong way, past Funakoshi(meaning the teachings and methods, not the Instructor himself, but thatd be one HELL of a science to learn), Anko Itosu (sp? (This dude was one of the most badass dudes I have ever heard of in Okinawan Karate, btw)), etc. Even how the school was started up and what it became what and potential it will be. Some schools across America have a different view of martial arts. They see it SPECIFICALLY as a money-making scheme, capable of generating a butt-load of money while dishonestly taching kids stuff theyll never use on the streets if confronted. THAT, my friend, is the ultimate sin in martial arts. While it is interesting to test your body to see how effective said acrobatic moves can be by pushing your body, it is useless (hence my concern of 'catching a punch' which was said earlier by myself).
    I did not mean to offend the 'style' of Maududo, but I do express alot of concern about the legitimacy of it.

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:12am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearFist
    I did not mean to offend the 'style' of Maududo, but I do express alot of concern about the legitimacy of it.
    What makes a style 'legitimate'?

Generally, my answer would be 'a history of quality instruction by skilled fighters/teachers.'

That was probably easier to verify 'back in the day' when skilled teachers were the ones that were still alive -- i.e. the ones that had survived long enough *because* of their martial skills.

On the other hand -- particularly within the last 100 years or so, it's all too easy to fabricate or obfuscate a lineage, and lineages aside, quality is ultimately what counts. Not all great fighters/teachers necessarily have martial pedigree.

Most long-time martial arts students study under many different teachers and styles. Some of them like to cull their experiences together as a form of personal expression, and then label their form of personal expression (give it a 'name' or identify it as a 'style') and then teach it to others. The worst of these we are well familiar with -- the self-promoted 12th dans that meet their circle-jerking buddies at the local bowling alley to drink beer and swap rank certificates.

However, not every 'new' or 'modern' style is necessarily illegitimate. I admit my own reaction to Maududo was "WTF?" but they look like a fairly typical TKD/Karate type strip mall school flying under a different name (a bad one, I might add) -- but they don't stand out to me as particlaur stain on the face of martial arts -- certainly not when compared to the likes of "Lieutenant X" and Fred Villari and Ashida Kim...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree with you, however, I would like to know where it originates from. There are new hybrid styles out there that I have heard of that seem very legitimate and you can learn alot, so I would never knock any style that just pops up as 'crap'. However, in this day an age, you can't be too careful. It's like job hunting in a way. You want to find a job you'll be happy at rather than one where the bosses will screw you over and the company doesnt give a damn about you, just their numbers (believe it or no, there ARE companies that do take care of their employees while going by the numbers as well).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forget it, Im not wanting to start any rivalries with anyone. I didnt mean to be a judgmental prick, but I showed alot of concern about how the methods and history that I found out about the grandmaster, and its not something Im going to follow in. I prefer my style, they prefer theirs, **** it. Let's keep it at that and everyone can make their own judgments from there.

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 5:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New here.. never posted.

I can explain a bit about Maududo as I am a former practitioner. I joined the origional school when I was 11. I was there until I left for school at 18. When I started the school taught both Maududo and a watered down version of Taekwondo. Maududo is a user friendly, family style of martial arts. The founder peiced it together from Taekwondo and who knows what else to make it practical and functional. Don't get me wrong, the fact that he calls himself "grand master" is laughable, the guy is a salesman. He left the school my last year there and went to work for an insurance company. That being said, it does teach self defence, morals and confidence and those are the ideals that kids need. A serious martial artist is going to be bored out of their mind training in Maududo.

Also.. about the "guarantee" of a black belt in two years. It is a sales pitch. It is possible to do, I got it in a year and a half. There is a mandatory three month period between belt tests, and the have 10 belts. They offer accelerated learning classes to those with with skill and desire. The catch is the first one you get is an unofficial black belt. They call it the 1st degree "recomended" black belt. Only after a full year as a recomended are you permited to test for your "decided" black belt. Then you must wait 2 years to test for 2nd degree. The 16 year old 4th degree is the owners son and he's been there since he was 4.

Anyway, you are basically right. It is canned martial arts. But, it is a friendly enviornment, and teaches the important things.
    Last edited by Ampheon; 9/06/2007 9:33pm at .

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 11:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muadudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I'm brand new to this site, but I was googling my school name, which is Maududo and I came across this thread. I study under Mr. Patten, and even from an un-biased view, he is an amazing teacher. He has excellent values and he teaches us real self defense. We learn the traditional style, but he also teaches us grappling. I've gone to other schools before and when I found Mr. Patten I knew this was the right place instantly. He is very good with children and adults alike. We learn quick defenses we call applications which are extremely useful if one were to ever get into a situation when you need to defen yourself. I don't know anything about the other branches but Patten's Martial Arts is the best place to go if you want to learn how to really defend yourself, learn many important values, make great freinds and be in a positive, encouraging enviornment. I HIGHLY suggest this school if you're looking.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 9:53am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offense, but your description of your view as "un-biased" would seem to be inaccurate. Your a current student at his school and you greatly enjoy what your doing and learning. It would be difficult to be unbiased in your opinions regarding Maududo.

Have you trained at other schools? Have you trained with instructors outside of Maududo? If you haven't done these things then you would be inaccurate in labeling your opinions as "unbiased"
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast