Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 7:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @lily: el oh el.

He isnt a professional model i dont think. He was just a highschool buddy back in the day. He moved not too long after I got to know him. He told me he used to pose for some magazines in korea.I dont know how to type his name in korean so its going to find him online. >.> When i was with him i was only up to his mouth. I felt so short.I just remembered what he said because im thinking of taking some TKD classes. There are alot of people bashing TKD but i think its all matter of the practitioner. It encourages even more to take TKD whenever i see someone bashing it. lol. But i was concerned about the short leg thing.
    Last edited by Catch-22; 5/14/2007 7:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 4:14pm

Style: jidokwan tkd,hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, if the rules allow for clinching, knees, and elbows being tall isn't a big deal. It gives you an advantage actually, I have a friend who's 6'4 and his knees get to my face with very little effort.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 3:33am

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right, but this is tkd and not kickboxing. The rules bar such moves, and as such, you can apply boxing-esque range rules: inside is the short man's game. Get in fast, stay in, beat the hell outta him while there. You'll do just fine.

BTW... crescent kick?! I hope that was a joke and that you don't intend to try that against taller fighters... or anybody... EVER!

Oh, and an amusing sidenote: I've been told by my dad (judo) and others that the inside once again becomes the short man's game when grapples are allowed... found it mildly amusing.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GDIOrca91
    Right, but this is tkd and not kickboxing. The rules bar such moves, and as such, you can apply boxing-esque range rules: inside is the short man's game. Get in fast, stay in, beat the hell outta him while there. You'll do just fine.
    Which rules? WTF TKD?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 1:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys. So basically i have to use short range moves and keep it close eh? hehe, i guess no fancy TKD kicking moves for me. >.>

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And if you do, you will surprise the hell out of your opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 11:39pm

Style: Judo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF Rear leg outside crescent (right leg):
    Bring lg up into chamber, right knee pointing towards the right of the body.
    Snap foot out in a circular motion, going from the right side to the left of the body.
    The right leg should complete the circle ending up in the same place, or planted close to the left leg in order to quicken weight change and thus shorten time it take to kick with the left leg.

That's what I was taught anyway. Seeing as it's WTF, I know see that most of what I was taught was wrong, so I'd be glad to hear a better one.

Perhaps it was my height that made those moves effective in sparring. I had to find a way to get long legs working in close, and I found crsecents easily reached my opponent's head and usually they didn't see them coming (being just below their vision range when they start).

Rethinking for a short guy, I'd say go with Mr. Adsen's "trick" #2: Shoot in past a kick and punch them as hard as you can right at the very top of the hogu. There's no real padding there, but it's technically legal. It'll hurt and probably throw them off that they got punched in a TKD match, and if they fall over from losing balance, you can score points.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 12:52am

Style: WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmm... that crescent sounds funky to me, but if it worked... I just can't see it being all that powerful or effective. I'd think a spinning hook would do you better, though I haven't yet gotten them down well enough to use.
    I can't see it working on ppl who stay very active when in the clinch, though.
    Trick #2 sounds right on, but you've gotta punch with everything you've got. Break stuff if you can, or come damn close. Just get in there and duke it out. You'll win out on the inside as the shorter man.

And yes, I was speaking within the framework of WTF rules, sy, forgot to specify.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 12:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never seen anyone throw a crescent kick in a WTF tourney, except for white belt kids sparring.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 10:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Catch-22 you join in the fun yet? My experience with short partners is you just can't come in strait, once you get around that you're fine. Hard lesson to learn. Especially for those of us with longer legs that can hit people out of their range.

Hope you don't get discouraged, you'll be on the same level as everyone once you get into it.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast