Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 1:50am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm gonna get my foot checked out this week due to a sparring related injury. might as well ask where i can get my head checked then. hehe.

edit: also, while i agree i should probably upgrade, this is the same head gear used for WTF sparring. this type of sparring isn't like ITF low contact point sparring, rather it's full force sparring with restrictive rules. kicking the head is encouraged, however, and this is the protective gear they use. so, i kinda thought it would be OK for boxing. then again, kicks to the head aren't as common as punches to the head, so... blah, i'll just see about getting a new helmet.
    Last edited by ronaldk; 5/14/2007 1:55am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 5:16am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    Boxing gives you brain damage like masturbating makes you go blind. You need a weak skull or long periods of hard punches battering your skull to do serious damage. And how is grappling safer? All it takes is one slip.
    Eh.... Its not the skull that gets damaged...
    Its the brain. If you had to crack the skull to get brain damage, then you would have to crack the skull to get a KO, which you certainly do not have to.

If you believe brain damage in boxing is a myth.... then you have been
    boxing a bit too much.
    Last edited by urasj; 5/14/2007 5:00pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 11:31pm

Style: Hayabusa Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the love of god. Can't anyone with under 1000 posts use capitalization, and punctuation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 2:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i talked this over with my instructor today. had not gotten the chance to.

he said, let's see.

he put on a pair of my gloves, i put on the other ones, same gloves i use with my friend, no headgear.

we started going at it. he started clocking me, soft at first, progressively going harder. he hit me on the sides, the nose, straight on the mouth, sides of the jaw, etc. basically, he owned me every whichway a boxer can own a person, progressively bringing up the levels of contact for about 2 mins.

then he stopped. he says by the end he was putting as much force as anyone should when sparring in class/practicing. not once was i rocked ANYWHERE near as when my friend hits me. sure, i got dazed a couple times, but i recovered in a few seconds. he also had a look at my ear, says theres no way someone can bruise your ear through a glove AND headgear without using excessive force, which is a logical conclusion. he also said, judging by my reaction times to some of his hits, that i'm still learning how to take a good shot to the head.

in other news, this was a great convo to have. since it was sort of serious, he wanted to see if there was something wrong with me or what ASAP, and did so by boxing with me. this was during the kids class hours (6 year olds and such). i show up early sometimes and help him with a couple of kids, god knows theyre a handful, and do drills with him and spar him when they're taking a breather. they loved watching us box, and are ALL begging my intructor to teach them boxing too (he only does boxing with teens and up, since it's a bit more in your face type training than olympic TKD day-care fu that parents normally want their young kids in). he has agreed to teach them, stressing they understand how they're not allowed to hit another kid in the face in tournaments. i guess i kind of helped my school a bit there. the club owner might not be too happy with it, but **** him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:24am

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, it sounds as though your friend is a seriously skilled puncher, but with something of an anger management problem.

Find yourself another sparring partner? Good partners will go at whatever level is mutually appropiate. Does he have something to prove? I doubt you'll learn much from being hit that hard - you'll tense up and won't have the confidence to try slipping/rolling, as you will - subconsciously at least - expect to get hurt if you mess up.

However, the advice about headguards, 16oz gloves and (I'd suggest) a top level mouthguard is all very sensible, and would certainly help protect your noggin.

Oh, and..... MOVE YOUR BLOODY HEAD. (takes ages to learn, so don't worry)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 6:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you for talking with your instructor! Sounds like it was the right move, and a good way to isolate the problem. The problem is your friend.

[quote=ronaldk] i've talked to him about levels of contact a lot, to which he normally responds with "dude, i'm not hitting you hard". today, i got him to go really agressive and fast on me without being too sadistic at one point. that's the kind of sparring i like. you learn more than just getting socked real hard a lot. but most of the time, he hits me hard quote]

So, he is perfectly capable of using appropriate control when he wants to. He just chooses not to, and then be-littles you for asking him to back off.

I don't know about you, but none of my 'friends' want to hurt me that much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 12:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think he subconciously has something to prove when he spars me. perhaps its because he knows that at the end of the day i do have a bit more raw power than he does, which is only logical since i'm this much bigger. also, he was surprised the first few times we sparred, because believe it or not, high kicks were VERY easy to land (apparently, no one in his kickboxing gym could do a high kick correctly). his old instructor used to rag on TKD a whole lot. i'm guessing maybe he feels since i'm bigger, stronger, that he needs to go as hard as he can on me. i can tell, honestly, he is not really trying to hurt me, he just gets carried away. i asked his old classmates from his kickboxing gym, they told me no one would spar him other than the instructor, because they always ended up badly hurt at some point.

i think i'll tell him we won't box any more, not until my boxing skill is a bit higher and i can evade his punches better. because right now when we kickbox and he gives me a hard punch, i'll just sit his ass down with a spinning back kick. then, he knows it wasn't necessary for him to hit me like that, and that it doesn't go untaxed. but when we box, my skill level doesn't really allow me to do that much back. i'll just kickbox and then get owned grappling with him.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123