Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 3:19pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything except the shocked and rattled thing seems to be normal... I guess your definition and experience of "shocked and rattled" is different from mine. Otherwise, I would be a little worried.

The mouth thing I'm fairly certain is normal. I sometimes feel like parts of my gum are peeling off as well. Some people just hit really hard lol.

The worst I've ever been rocked was when blue and white stars appeared in my vision and my head snapped back, followed by a large grunt escaping from my mouth. I did have the headache, but nowhere near 40 seconds, it's a very momentary thing. This was from a heavyweight as well, so the fact that your friend gives you a headache from being hit could be a cause for concern. Spar some more, and see if the feeling persists.

Remember, too, that all the bad hype you hear about boxing usually comes from doctors, or from pro boxers. Amateur, yes, does have the possibility of brain damage, but that comes from taking continual concussive force to the head (read: KO or clean hit) over an extended period of time. We're talking 50 amateur fights, or a career as a pro, before you'll ever start seeing signs of mental deterioration.

In conclusion, I don't think you have any pressing problem at the moment. Some people experience hits to the head differently. Considering your size, I am fairly surprised you're feeling shocked and rattled to the extent you describe, but everybody's different. The headache, however, I'd get checked out. Not trying to scare you or anything, but if you're still having a headache feeling for 40 seconds after being clocked, it is a possible cause for concern. To be succinct, I honestly do not think you're suffering any brain trauma (you shouldn't, given your size and his relative size), but once again, check it out with your GP just in case.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 3:26pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what you're saying is that the speed and force of your training is making you worry for your health?

He's a close friend, right? Tell him (again) the punches and kicks at the strength he's taking them are taking a toll on you. That you like "to go really aggressive and fast without being too sadistic at one point."

I'm all for "aliveness" and ****, but safety first internet duders. If the way you're training makes you really uncomfortable,and you're getting beat to **** every time, then you're doing somethign wrong in said training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 4:53pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^He outweighs his opponent by over 60 pounds. I don't care how strong the other person is, he should have a distinct advantage and should be the one worrying about hurting the other guy, not the other way around.

Therefore, I found it strange to hear that he experiences a prolonged headache for 40 seconds after a blow. If they were of comparable size and weight, then I would blame this whole scenario on the fact that they are going too hard. But that's not the case, so all I am saying is that he should at least be mindful of it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    make a video, then we can see if theres actually something wrong or if you are just a sook

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 6:21pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think our session yesterday got filmed. one of my friends who came to my house (i invite a few friends from time to time for sparring) had a camera, but pussied out from boxing and decided to just muck around with his camera. will try and see if i can get the video.

perhaps i'm just not used to getting hit in the head? my instructor kind of does his own thing (teaching me and the other students at our school some boxing, some takedowns, etc), but the club that governs my school is strictly olympic style. meaning for gradings and inter-club things, we spar olympic TKD style, no punches to the head. and i still haven't come in contact with any decent olympic players in the other schools of the club, hence i've never actually gotten kicked in the head by any. none of the people around my rank/weight/age are any good. there are a couple of great higher ranks though.

the gloves are smaller than standard boxing gloves, i don't know what's the exact weight. they were given to my by my friends who used to do kickboxing that weren't using them anymore. i have 2 pairs that are exactly the same, i'd venture so say 10-12oz or something like that maybe. cheap no-name gloves, so no markings anywhere to tell me. i do know they are smaller than 16oz gloves. these were the gloves used by everyone at their old kickboxing gym. they sparred over there with mouth pieces, gloves, and nothing else.

the helmets are foam ones used in WTF style sparring. somewhat like this:

on another note, today while washing my face, i noticed a small area in my left ear is bruised. so i guess he had to be hitting me hard enough to turn a part of my ear purple through a boxing glove and a foam helmet.

the hits i'm describing to me are as good as KOs. sure, they don't knock me out, and i can continue the fight if i choose to, but i'm pretty sure anyone in a real match against me catches me in that daze could drop me with one more punch.

and yeah, with the weight difference, it feels quite weird. when his shots connect, me head doesn't even move that much, my body stays completely static. i'm pretty sure it doesn't look like much has happened, but i sure feel it.

in comparison, when my friend spars with my other friends, he doesn't hit them anywhere near that hard. and my other friends yesterday refused to fight him OR me unless it was only grappling after watching us box.

all in all, within the last 2 "throwdowns" or whatever i've had over here, and boxing with this guy, i've had: half my mouth turned purple, the insides of my lower lip mouth area red and purple and a bit bloody and a small purple bruise on my ear. this guy did give someone else a bloody nose (not much blood, only a bit) at one point getting carried away, and got clocked with a spinning backfist for doing so, giving him a nice black eye.

maybe i'm just not cut out for boxing? i mean, i can tell while the shots are good ones, mostly due to him being a much better boxer than i am, and that, yeah, he could be going easier on everyone, that he really isn't hitting me THAT hard. he could hit me harder. then again, this is a guy who weighs 170 but lifts me off the floor without much of a fuss in certain positions, so perhaps that's besides the point.

then again, perhaps Alex is right and i'm just a sook.
    Last edited by ronaldk; 5/13/2007 6:30pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that headgear sucks and you will not find even pro fighters who dont use specifically designed sparring gloves, usually 16oz or so, to spar with. get some decent equipment, go to a real gym, and stop playing patty cake with your buddy in your garage. Hopefully they will teach you how to roll with a punch because
    when his shots connect, me head doesn't even move that much, my body stays completely static.
    sounds like you need it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 7:54pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    that headgear sucks and you will not find even pro fighters who dont use specifically designed sparring gloves, usually 16oz or so, to spar with. get some decent equipment, go to a real gym, and stop playing patty cake with your buddy in your garage. Hopefully they will teach you how to roll with a punch because

sounds like you need it.
    heh. and he's nice about it too!

MAs are not big here. we don't have many real schools, they don't even teach muay thai in the entire country. boxing here is basically learning how to get destroyed. most boxers i've met have rarely even seen a handwrap. but yeah, i get what you're saying.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mmmm... brain damage
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 8:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys! I don't normally post in this forum, but as a noob boxer, I have been lurking on this thread. Here's my 2 cents, but the are Canadian cents, so they really aren't worth very much.

There are two different types of headgear - that intended for accidental contact and that intended for training contact. You appear to be wearing the accidental contact stuff - the foam dipped in vinyl. I strongly suggest you upgrade to some real boxing headgear - this is the one our guys wear:

High-quality, shock-absorbing, extra thick foam padding. Leather, with suede lining. Top lace adjustment. Chin guard for extra protection. Large, padded earpieces. Additional face protection with cheek and chin padding. Black

The cheekbone protection will also keep you from some nasty injuries to the eye orbital (seen it - not pretty).

I have been clocked a few times while wearing this (we are a heavy-sparring club, so even noobs go rounds with the instructor) and I have never felt any head symptoms like you describe - just a super stiff neck the next day, since I haven't really learned how to take a punch yet so I tense up.

Lastly - if your friend is not willing to back off contact based on your concerns, think about not sparring with him. I know you want to train and don't have a lot of options for sparring partners, but right now it's not working for you, or else you wouldn't have posted here. I know other guys are telling you to man-up, but hey guy - it's your head. It's not like you can get another one.

Oh yeah - and see a Doctor. There might be more going on here.

Cheers!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 9:07pm

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "maybe i'm just not cut out for boxing? "

Spar more, if you feel uncomfortable just tell your opponent to go lighter, when you feel comfortable again step things up.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast