Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 3:30am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

boxing: how worried to be about headshots?

so, yeah. i get some boxing at my TKD school as a supplement from my instructor. recently, started sparring with a friend of mine who is a boxer/kickboxer. his hands are superior by quite a bit, but i round it out with better footwork and kicking when we kickbox. however, i've been working on my hands lately, and strictly boxing with him from time to time (been doing this for about a month, done 3 or 4 sparring sessions with him).

he has a real problem with taking it easy. sure, he can hit a LOT harder than he does, but still, he throws a malicious punch in the mix a lot. i generally reserve hard contact for matches or people i want to hurt, and yeah, i can hit you hard, but i normally keep it in the medium-low ranges when we are practicing. i don't have any buddies to spar with other than him, and no students at my school that can go with me (very small school, i'm the only one in my age/weight/rank class).

so, yeah, i get a few good shots in the head. we wear boxing gloves and foam helmets (and of course mouthguards). when i get a good one, it normally rattles my cage, my head hurts, and i'm fully recovered in a minute or so.

today, however, i hadn't fully digested my last meal, so my mobility was a bit hindered, rendering me a bit slower than i normally am. got hit a few more hits than normal, but fine. this isn't ballet. i recovered from any good shot anywhere as i would normally (shots in the gut sucked tho). he did however, hit me pretty hard in the back of the head, accidentally, but still.

then we did some sparring with kicking included. my friend insists we wear TKD hogus, since he knows he can't control his kicks, and if he kicks me hard, i will certainly kick back. after we were done, i noticed i was spitting foam, as if really thirsty, but i had kept myself well hydrated i'd say (glass of water every few rounds). hadn't had a glass in a bit at that point, did drink water soon afterwards.

the evening passed as normal, i was OK. went out, got a bad headache, kinda screwed up my night so i decided to come home. it could be coincidence, but i can't help but stop and worry. since i was spitting foam at one point, i'm guessing dehydration might also cause the headache? bottom line: how much is too much getting hit in the head?

i'm sure a couple of punches from some guy who is nowhere near a pro boxer on top of wearing foam helmets when he wasn't even hitting full strength won't have done anything too bad to me, i felt like asking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 3:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, solutions? i've talked to him about levels of contact a lot, to which he normally responds with "dude, i'm not hitting you hard". today, i got him to go really agressive and fast on me without being too sadistic at one point. that's the kind of sparring i like. you learn more than just getting socked real hard a lot. but most of the time, he hits me hard, then i feel like i should kick him in the head (which i normally stop my foot an inch away from every time, i don't see a need to connect if he knows i could have, we're supposed to be trying to learn from eachother, not hurt eachother).

today, he kicked ME in the head (step hook kick). he did it blindingly fast (first time he ever catches me with a high kick attempt), and i caught it on the lower back of the head/upper neck (in a way where his heel did make contact, but not much power was delivered, didn't even hurt really). he did it as we were ending our last round, so i didn't get him back for it. now i feel like i need to kick his head off, to which he'll probably get pissed and we'll be having an all-out war in no time. he's a close friend, and i wouldn't like that to happen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 5:28am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0502093035.htm

Recent article in science daily saying amateur boxing can cause brain damage. However this is one study. I have previously read that professional boxing caused brain damage but amateur boxing was okay. So the court is out a bit. However, if you take a lot o heacy head shots its not so good. Ironically less padding may be more healthy in the long term. Actually the more I read around here I see a balanced approach of the best TMA and MMA is going to work more for SD.

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 5:33am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0502093035.htm

Recent article in science daily saying amateur boxing can cause brain damage. However this is one study. I have previously read that professional boxing caused brain damage but amateur boxing was okay. So the court is out a bit. However, if you take a lot o heacy head shots its not so good. Ironically less padding may be more healthy in the long term. Actually the more I read around here I see a balanced approach of the best TMA and MMA is going to work more for SD.
    When did anyone say TMA was the way to go for self defence? A balance? Full resistance mixed with kata is better than 100% full resistance how?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 7:42am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    When did anyone say TMA was the way to go for self defence? A balance? Full resistance mixed with kata is better than 100% full resistance how?
    Well, since boxing gives u brain dmg, and ur limited to use hands only.. You get punched in the head alot more than realistically if u could grapple/kick.

Basically, do kickboxing instead. :]

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 8:01am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by urasj
    Well, since boxing gives u brain dmg, and ur limited to use hands only.. You get punched in the head alot more than realistically if u could grapple/kick.

Basically, do kickboxing instead. :]
    Boxing gives you brain damage like masturbating makes you go blind. You need a weak skull or long periods of hard punches battering your skull to do serious damage. And how is grappling safer? All it takes is one slip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 10:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, HOW did this thread turn into TMA vs MMA?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 10:52am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because people have too much sand in their vaginas. Anything that even looks at their sacred cows the wrong way will start this.

To answer your question, I need to know your weight class, his weigh class, your height, general power (be honest), and skill.

I'm at 142, so power and speed are fairly even, and I've been taking shots to the head from heavyweights for 8 months. So far, if anything, my grades, mental perception, and overall judgment have *improved*. I am an amateur, so I can't speak for professional. The only pro boxer I know who has any sort of mental damage is not because of boxing, but because of smoking way too much dope.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm 6 feet tall, 230lbs. he's about 5'10", somewhere near the 160-170 range.

power? well, i have a bit of brute force to me, but as posted, i rarely use it when practicing. he is VERY VERY strong from what i can tell. lets put it this way, i can manage to beat him in arm-wrestling (haha, only measure i can think of atm) by basically putting everything i got behind me, and yet he is strong enough to perform a hug lift (duki age? i think its called in judo) on me when we grapple, by grabbing me from my shoulders. duki age is the second technique shown in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwW7YRwvRk

so, yeah, i'd say he's pretty strong. i had never had anyone lift me clean off the ground like that. would have much less expected someone i have about 60 pounds on do it.

edit: skill wise, i have about 1 year and a half of TKD with a little boxing from time to time thrown in to supplement hands. my friend did about a year and a half of kickboxing with a lot of boxing practiced at his gym. he also did kung fu for about 9 months and his school closed, but he has some interesting punches from it, hehe. :boxing: his hands are very superior to mine, and my kicking is quite superior to his. he is a lot faster than i am, but i seem to pick my shots better when we kickbox, giving me more stopping power. we make for nice matches.

what i wanna know is, is that shocked and rattled feeling i get inside my head after a shot something that is OK to take? best i can describe it is as a bad headache tha fades away in 40seconds to a minute or so. watched a movie where a boxer killed some opponents by dislodging their brains or something with his punches, so i'm a bit paranoid, sue me :p

on another note, the inside of my mouth keeps getting banged up, even with my mouthpiece. initially i thought it was because i hadn't properly molded it (hadn't at all basically), but i molded it yesterday as best i could, and it's gotten 10000x better, sill, i get nice read areas on the inside of my lower lip area of the mouth. this normal too?
    Last edited by ronaldk; 5/13/2007 1:13pm at .

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 3:14pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try upgrading your headgear. you mentioned foam, I assume you mean the point-sparring type? If you can't get your partner to take it a bit easier, then a higher-grade headgear (I like the KO fightgear one) and mouthguard if you don't have one already will do a lot to improve the situation. Also, what kind of gloves are you using? I don't think I saw a weight listed but you might want to go with 16-18oz.

lastly, given your weight advantage, you are probably hitting him pretty hard too (you may not realize how much power you have from his perspective) and he may just naturally go harder back. But you seem pretty concious of that issue so maybe not.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast