Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So any of the LI guys up for this? I'd like to do this and the NYC knockdown tournament.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony Goh, Tai Yim and Shawn Liu are all serious dudes who know how to fight and prefer that CMA be taught for that purpose.
    I don't know the other two, but Anthony Goh? I thought he was straight up wushu...

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 2:50pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. My MT coach competed in this event several years ago and said it was a tough event, I think he said that he ended up losing to a guy from Ireland.

I know of another guy who never really trains but likes to talk like he does to impress the ladies. He won a single San Shou fight in a really small local event and thought he was the ****, went to the Leitai event last year and got knocked out in the first round.

My coach is considering going again with a team this year, and although I haven't said anything to him yet I am also considering joining them and competing. I want to see how much weight I can drop first. All the info you guys have provided has been great.

Do they do Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced divisions, or do they just throw everyone into one division?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 3:01pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shawn Liu, of the Liu Institute, brought a scary semi-pro to Florida last year.

I just looked him up, his name is Patrick Berry

That guy had CRAZY strong legs.

There was no rule against pro/am being in the tournament.

I did think it was funny that Master Liu didn't even show up until the 2nd round of his match...

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as far as i know, it's one division.

when i fought 4 years ago (i think) i belonged in the novice division. there wasn't one. the guy who i fought took 3rd or 4th in our weight class (out of a lot of people) i was clearly outclassed.

i think they feel that novice or intermediate fighters belong in the light contact divisions.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 3:11pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    as far as i know, it's one division.

when i fought 4 years ago (i think) i belonged in the novice division. there wasn't one. the guy who i fought took 3rd or 4th in our weight class (out of a lot of people) i was clearly outclassed.

i think they feel that novice or intermediate fighters belong in the light contact divisions.
    Thanks for the info

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 8:19pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This tournament sounds f-ing awesome! They have shuai chaio and weapons sparring! I am gonna work some karate, judo, and fencing!

I was reading the rules, but they are again a little vague. How does the weapons sparring work? Are they working with padded weaons like chanbarra?

And the Chinese wrestling requires a special jacket, is a judo top okay?

http://www.usksf.org/newsandevents/m...cial_rules.pdf
    Last edited by rsobrien; 5/17/2007 8:21pm at .

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 9:07pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    I don't know the other two, but Anthony Goh? I thought he was straight up wushu...
    Good grief. He ended up with a bunch of kids from the 'burbs sometime in the 90's and started a Modern Wushu program, but that's not his background at all. He's an ethnic Chinese from Malaysia who grew up training kung fu and fighting with the local Malay tough guys (mostly Muay Thai, some Silat). Later he moved to Hong Kong and spent 8 years as a pro full-contact fighter. It was his reputation as a fighter that gave him the pull with the other Chinese sifus to establish NACMAF (later USAWKF).

If his school has gone all wushu, it's a sad thing indeed.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 9:40pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    Shawn Liu[...] brought a scary semi-pro to Florida last year. [...] That guy had CRAZY strong legs.
    Shawn "Iron Leg" Liu is a serious guy. He's trained many good fighters, including the aforementioned K-1 fighter Patrick Barry and MMA up-and-comer Cung Le. As for legs, he pushes stance training and tan tui as conditioning and bag work for power; the **** works.

I'd recommend attending the next US Open Combat Wrestling and Kickboxing Smoker (the last one was May 5) to anyone near Mobile, Alabama. It's the kind of thing you'd like if you like that kind of thing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    Raft lei tai? That sounds nuts. I'd wonder what happens for the poor guy that can't swim. Also, how nuts is it to get back in there and fight soaking wet? Or, is it that they get knocked off the raft, and that's it? If so, that's some short fight time.
    Once you get knocked in the water..that's it. You lose.
    Obviously, the guy who can't swim doesn't enter an event like this..
    I remember when I was a kid we used to play king of the raft at a local conservation area in the summer months. It was so much fun. Of course, all we did was shove each other off and team up against the bigger kids if need be.
    O joyous youth..

Our instructor has been wanting to put together a san shou team for an event like this for the past year or so. But most of the people at our club(myself included) are too busy with jobs and family to put the time into training seriously for an event like that and the young ones who do have the time aren't ready yet.
    Personally, I would like to whip myself into a bit better fighting shape and fight in one in Asia before I get too old....
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast