• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 12:04am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically its a full contact, any type of striking ruleset that allows throws and sweeps too?

You can elbow, knee, punch and kick as well as sweep and throw? That sounds cool I guess.

Where the skill though? Im pretty sure a Kickboxer with some Judo background would **** up those guys. Maybe they are just beginners and thats fine too. But f thats what they all look like, they suck. Good rules, bad training.

Thats what happens when you spend all your time doing forms and then go into a full contact fight with other Kata based styles. Its actually worse then a school yard fight.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are you guys up for it? Do you want to help me get some sparring in for it?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    1) do wrestling shoes count as martial arts shoes?

2) uhhh if women can't hit to the chest, that means that can only head hunt / hit to the legs?

3) what weight classes are there?

4) how long does it take to get to maryland?

5) can anyone compete?
    1) i dunno, ask them
    2) i think it's the boobs they can't hit. i assume that the solar plexus and ribs are fine. who the hell punches to the chest anyway? (other than kyokushin guys when they can't punch to the face.)
    3) ask them, or read the damn website, it's all up there
    4) maps.google.com dude
    5) anyone but vietnamese wrestlers ;P

as to the other comments:

kat, i'm sure you would do very well, but there really aren't that many women who compete and almost none of them will have your level of experience.

gijoe, don't judge the whole event off one video you saw on youtube. it was most likely those guys first full contact event, and you're up on the platform in front of a huge crowd. it's a mindfuck.

back when i fought a few years ago, it was my first full contact, and my legs went all jelly and all my training went out the window when i fought there.

i sure wouldn't want to be judged on that fight, or have the whole event judged on my performance on the lei tai.

sure i saw some crappy, laughable stuff there, but i also saw some skilled fighters, especially in the finals.

you guys are always shitting all over CMA, and then when a real tournament with real rules is presented to you, the **** talking continues! give these guys a break, at least they had the balls to go fight full contact!

they have more balls than 90% of the posters on bullshido, although i have to say that the people on this thread have all shown that they are wiling to step up and fight, so i can't criticize you all for that.

i encourage you all to go compete, although there is a high entrance fee, and you have to spend the night in a hotel cause the weigh in and rules meeting is the night before. also you need to see a doctor and get a letter saying that you are fit to fight, so there is a good deal of expense involved.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 4:02pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am like a battered woman who keeps going back, "I know it will be different this time I know it." So yeah I am still going to Enshin.

I have been studying and partying for the last week so I have lost most of my conditioing that I was building for a tournament this Saturday but I am still going. My teacher so far has been really cool about getting me ready for it. I even get a private lesson today.

So long as they can provide gloves and headgear and shirts, I will be happy. The rules look pretty good if you ask me, like Daido Juku minus the groundwork. It looks like fun and if it is not too much of a drive, than I'll probably do it.

Anyone else thinking of doing it?

Edit: Don't they have lei tai surrounded by a pool? I want to do that one.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 4:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    I hate that style of headgear..
    There is a good entry on Wilkipedia for Lei Tai describing the history and modern-day incarnations. They have them on rafts in some tournaments. We are going to do some free sparring on rafts this summer up north for fun..
    Fighting on a raft? That's be the best looking thing ever! I have to do that!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 4:39pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I did the Maryland regional last year which was about a month before the actual national, where there were only a handful of people, and it was pretty much nonstop punching and kickin' until I could get that dude on the floor. It's a mindfuck to have a crowd all around, and I won the first round by a landslide, and almost got knocked out in the second, but it went to a decision for the third...

**** wasn't child's play when I was there.

The guys in the video above don't look like they are that experienced, but two years ago I actually met that dude that Ming is talking about and he was champ for 5 years in a row, and he was the ****. Someone from Ming's School was an international Champ for a year as well, and he was really good from when I met him.

It's a great experience, and when I'm fully recovered (inguinal hernia)and healthy, I might take another swing at it. But, I'd also like to see other stylists come out and compete there as well, and see how well they do.

I'd like to see it take off, and actually cross over into other styles as well... Like TKD Lei Tai fights...

But, that's just a dream.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nomamao, where are you located?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New York.

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:27pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if maryland wasn't so damned far away and if i had the time to dedicate to do stand up, i'd be doing it.

as is, i need to heal and focus on grappling tournaments. maybe i'll go and do it next year.

imagine the irony... an East Asian kid with Western style MMA fighting Westerners with East Asian kung fu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be better if you won the whole damned thing.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast