Posted On:
    5/12/2007 4:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ jaw injuries?

Hello2,

I have this jaw condition where the lower jaw is kind of slanted to one side. Dont really know the term for it.... crossbite? But it isnt the teeth thats out of place, its the jaw.

Anyways, I'm thinking of picking up BJJ, but am afraid of messing up my jaw even more than it is now - therefore, making my mug uglier than it already is. Is there lots of jaw injuries in BJJ, or are there lots of instances where your jaw will be put under lots of pressure? Or is the general consensus just to "tap early"?

I took some JKD classes way back and had some REALLY basic grappling training - sparred from time to time. I remember being put in a triangle choke and having really felt lots of pain around my jaw. Mind you,at that time, my condition has not really become apparent yet. So i really didnt give a ****. But now.....

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 5:45pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask a doctor.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear their doing wonders with genetic therapy these days, they should be able to work that inbreeding right out of you soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 6:52pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if your jaw is more susceptable to injury than a normal jaw, then it might be a good idea to beware.

there are times that the jaw is put under pressure.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 6:56pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by libertine1234
    Hello2,

I have this jaw condition where the lower jaw is kind of slanted to one side. Dont really know the term for it.... crossbite? But it isnt the teeth thats out of place, its the jaw.

Anyways, I'm thinking of picking up BJJ, but am afraid of messing up my jaw even more than it is now - therefore, making my mug uglier than it already is. Is there lots of jaw injuries in BJJ, or are there lots of instances where your jaw will be put under lots of pressure? Or is the general consensus just to "tap early"?

I took some JKD classes way back and had some REALLY basic grappling training - sparred from time to time. I remember being put in a triangle choke and having really felt lots of pain around my jaw. Mind you,at that time, my condition has not really become apparent yet. So i really didnt give a ****. But now.....
    If you do turn out to have a greater vulnerability to jaw injuries you might want to look into Judo instead. Manipulating the face or jaw is illegal in Judo, iirc (my club didn't really pay much attention to that but hey).

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wear a mouthguard; tap early, tap often.

i once took a few months off of training in part due to fear of breaking a tooth (or the whole jaw); i've since gotten over that fear.

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 5:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, i guess i should stay away from bjj then. I remembered really enjoying it though. Sigh*

In the beginning, i was considering taking up boxing. But yeah, i can only dream.

I really dont know how bad it is. If you meet me, you wouldnt really notice. Perhaps, when i do spar, i could just tell them to ease up on the triangle choke, and that i will tap early. Wearing a mouthguard is def a good idea. Is it hard to breathe with them on?

Anyways, let hear from more of u guys! Anyone ever had a jaw injury?

For god's sake. I dont want to end up taking Aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 10:46am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why not go to the doctor and ask him how much physical activity your jaw can handle? ask him about a single mouthguard and a double mouthguard. if you just want to train bjj, just tap really early and keep that going through your head if you cannot escape a triangle, or have a rnc over your chin, etc etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 11:41am

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Baseball
    Tap early. You'll be fine.
    Yeah, that and tell the other person about your jaw so they don't crank the hell out of it before you can tap.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 11:58am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I had the situation surgically corrected, I had a MASSIVE under/cross bite. I was able to do BJJ with no problem. Just do what everyone else said; wear a mouthpiece and tap early. I know a guy whose bite was perfectly normal, and he got his jaw dislocated from not tapping to a jaw-crank. Only retardation is going to get you hurt.
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast