Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 9:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow that took my 5 seconds i see the title: go form whimp to wrecking machine
    then i see a dvdbox set.

ofcourse its bull.

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that I'm splitting hairs more than usual, but what I want to know is this:

Does he have legitimate rank? In what? From who?

It's obvious that there's something wrong with his marketing. However, it's merely possible that his videos are garbage, his techniques are worthless, he has no lineage, and he stabbed Kano in the back.

As I said before, I'll ask politely via (email and) phone when I get out of work.

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 5:06pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1point2: So basically you want to find out if he's a blatant Bullshidoka or just a McDojo man?

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 7:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    1point2: So basically you want to find out if he's a blatant Bullshidoka or just a McDojo man?
    ...I guess.

I mean, I'm a little skeptical. Who knows if he runs his school the same way he sells his vids, right? Let's cut him some slack until we know more.

Unfortunately, I'm *still* at work, which means this could be delayed a few days.

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 8:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was browsing through some searches and there's a guy here by the name of Hawkeye who said to have trained with this Walt Lysak guy a few years back. He says the classes were hardcore, but still I'm skeptical.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 12:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is really over the top:
    http://realityconnection.nfshost.com/node/29

* 10th Degree Black Belt Sento Method Founder & iCAT Co-Founder Grandmaster/Professor Walt Lysak Sr. 10th Dan,Grandmaster/Professor Silverio Guerra 10th Dan,Grandmaster/Professor Ken Haughland 10th Dan
    * 8th Degree Black Belt in Jiu Jitsu
    * 7th Degree Black belt in Pankration (Under the International Federation of Pankration Black belt council)
    * 6th Dan American Kickboxing (Under Grandmaster Joe Lewis "World Champion and Living Legend")
    * Also holds Black belts in Ninjutsu (Master James Rosenbach) Karate, Cerebral Self Defense Coach, Stun & Run & Chu Fen Do Instructor (Under Tony Blauer), Holds various intructor levels and high ranks in R.B.W.I. (Robert Bussey), Arnis (Remy Presas), has a thorough background in boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling
    So he's claiming rank from his father, a Pankration council, Joe Lewis, James Rosenbach, Tony Blauer, Robert Bussey, and the late Remy Presas. Can I ask for advice as to where to even start with this?

sentomethod@msn.com or Call Toll Free 413-426-9500
    * Lysak's Self Defense Academy
    * PO BOX 872
    * Ludlow, Ma
    Work, work, work, getting in the way of important things...

*PS* I'm not saying he's not legit. I just want to know.

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 7:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UPDATE

Sent an email:
    Hi,

I just bought one of your videos (hasn't come in yet--looking forward to it) and am interested in Walt Lysak's lineage.

I saw this on the website:

* 10th Degree Black Belt Sento Method Founder & iCAT Co-Founder Grandmaster/Professor Walt Lysak Sr. 10th Dan,Grandmaster/Professor Silverio Guerra 10th Dan,Grandmaster/Professor Ken Haughland 10th Dan
    * 8th Degree Black Belt in Jiu Jitsu
    * 7th Degree Black belt in Pankration (Under the International Federation of Pankration Black belt council)
    * 6th Dan American Kickboxing (Under Grandmaster Joe Lewis "World Champion and Living Legend")
    * Also holds Black belts in Ninjutsu (Master James Rosenbach) Karate, Cerebral Self Defense Coach, Stun & Run & Chu Fen Do Instructor (Under Tony Blauer), Holds various intructor levels and high ranks in R.B.W.I. (Robert Bussey), Arnis (Remy Presas), has a thorough background in boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling

...and was curious about more details regarding where, under whom, and for how long you studied. The list is very extensive!

My lineage is: Tatsuo Shimabuku (founder Isshinryu) - Don Nagle - Dale Jenkins - Salvatore Musco - Maurey Levitz - me. I'm a nidan in Isshinryu karate.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
    <<<my name>>>
    I also bought a tape, as I said. It's a gift for my teacher, who thinks he looks good (?!).

Wait and see.

(advice/criticism on email etiquette and investigative techniques more than welcome...from people who have run investigations before)

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job in getting to the bottom of this 1point2. If this guy does turn out to be good then I'll have a place to train, if not then I'll continue searching for another place.

Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 8:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MACP, Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I had posted in this thread already, but I guess this is a new thread. While the Lysak's business practices seem shady, they are legit fighters. The guys they train are legit fighters. I was in the Army with one of their "black belts". This kid was scary good. He beat the piss out of me in the honor grad fight at the modern army combatives school. Their ground-fighting, as far as BJJ rules, isn't as technical, but it's not crappling either. They teach a lot of eye gouges, small joint mainpulation, etc. It's not the crap, "my eye gouge will defeat your BJJ"; but legitimate ways to work in those techniques with good BJJ/wrestling.

I don't agree with some of their teaching methodology. When they taught our local Special Forces group, they immediately took them off the mats and had them fight out on the concrete parking lot. Realistic? Yes, but they lost half of the class to injury on the first day.

So, Walt is not Bullshido as far as skill goes, but he does dabble in Bullshido marketing to keep his business afloat.

edit- the dude I fought in the combatives schools was a Lysak instructor. As far as his grappling skills, he rolled at about the same skill level as a good blue-belt. He was just crazy tough. The Lysak's seem to hone killer instinct and mental toughness. This kid was a brawler. They're not as technical, but they train dirtier techniques with their grappling. So, they won't spend countless hours finding new ways to pass guard, they'll just use a few painful, "dirty" ways. Imagine a RBSD that embraced groundfighting rather than coming up with bullshit anti-grapple techniques, and you have the SENTO method.
    Last edited by fidgit; 8/02/2008 8:59am at .

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 10:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgit
    I thought I had posted in this thread already, but I guess this is a new thread. While the Lysak's business practices seem shady, they are legit fighters. The guys they train are legit fighters. I was in the Army with one of their "black belts". This kid was scary good. He beat the piss out of me in the honor grad fight at the modern army combatives school. Their ground-fighting, as far as BJJ rules, isn't as technical, but it's not crappling either. They teach a lot of eye gouges, small joint mainpulation, etc. It's not the crap, "my eye gouge will defeat your BJJ"; but legitimate ways to work in those techniques with good BJJ/wrestling.

I don't agree with some of their teaching methodology. When they taught our local Special Forces group, they immediately took them off the mats and had them fight out on the concrete parking lot. Realistic? Yes, but they lost half of the class to injury on the first day.

So, Walt is not Bullshido as far as skill goes, but he does dabble in Bullshido marketing to keep his business afloat.

edit- the dude I fought in the combatives schools was a Lysak instructor. As far as his grappling skills, he rolled at about the same skill level as a good blue-belt. He was just crazy tough. The Lysak's seem to hone killer instinct and mental toughness. This kid was a brawler. They're not as technical, but they train dirtier techniques with their grappling. So, they won't spend countless hours finding new ways to pass guard, they'll just use a few painful, "dirty" ways. Imagine a RBSD that embraced groundfighting rather than coming up with bullshit anti-grapple techniques, and you have the SENTO method.
    This is excellent. Thanks, fidgit.

Your description of his practitioner is very much what I expected (though I wasn't sure of their grappling level).

My main question, however, is lineage--where did his rank come from? Where did he actually train? Is he making fraudulent claims?

I mean...the dan ranks alone are prima facie absurd.

I hope to have a chance to call him directly this week if I don't hear back by email.
    Last edited by 1point2; 8/02/2008 10:14pm at .
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast