Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tanemura on his Leaving the Bujinkan

Posted to the Genbukan Website May 8, 2007
    http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?25&fileID=790

Hatsumi Yoshiaki (Masa-aki / Byakuryu)
    Former-Teacher of Shoto Tanemura

Tanemura Shoto (Tsunehisa) was training in Takamatsu martial arts from April of
    1963 (15 years old) to November of 1984 (37 years old) under Hatsumi Yoshiaki (given
    name), the president of Bujinkan Dojo and President of Bujinkan Shidoshi Association.
    At the time, Tanemura was also the Vice President of the Bujinkan Shidoshi
    Association.

In March 1984, one of Tanemura’s highest ranked students had to resign and drop
    out from Tanemura’s Dojo and the Bujinkan Shidoshi Association, because of serious
    problems he had caused.

On the 1st of November 1984, Tanemura found out that Hatsumi had taken care of
    this problem student, without Tanemura’s knowledge.
    There were many reasons for Tanemura’s decision to leave Hatsumi but the final
    decision to separate was a result of being disappointed by Hatsumi’s decision to look
    after this problem student. Tanemura decided on the 13th November 1984 to resign
    from Hatsumi and the Bujinkan Shidoshi Association. On that day Tanemura sent a
    letter by registered post to his teacher Hatsumi, explaining his reasons for resigning
    and his wish to become independent.

Tanemura went on to establish the Genbukan Ninpo Bugei Dojo on November 28th
    1984. He started teaching the Takamatsu Budo that he had mastered and been given
    Menkyo Kaiden from his former teacher Hatsumi, as Tanemura-Ha. Tanemura decided
    that he will preserve the true spirit and teachings of Takamatsu as Tanemura-Ha
    (Tanemura-line).

This was a very hard and sad time for Tanemura to leave Hatsumi. However, it was
    important for Tanemura to follow his heart and keep alive the martial arts of
    Takamatsu.

After leaving Hatsumi, Tanemura was fortunate to learn and receive
    Grandmasterships and Masterships from Takamatsu’s highest ranked students;
    Kimura Masaji, Sato Kinbei and Ueno Takashi’s line Masters.
    He has also learned from many other Grandmasters/Masters of different types of
    Ryu-Ha and martial arts. And he has received many other
    Grandmasterships/Masterships.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 3:21pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting find. I wonder what Hatsumi's take on the split would be? If this is accurate I could interpret it two ways.
    1. It was bad form for Hatsumi to go behind Tanemuras back and in effect overstep Tanemura regarding this problem student. It would show how inconsequential and powerless Tanemuras decision to allow the resignation was and cause major loss of face in the organization. Since seppuku is pretty much out of the question Tanemuras leaving would be the most logical choice. When he received Grandmasterships and Masterships from Takamatsu’s highest ranked students afterwards that showed they at least gave tacit approval to Tanemuras actions otherwise I believe they would have stonewalled or blackballed him

2. Looking at this with a Machiavellian view perhaps Hatsumi saw a rising threat in Tanemura for control of the organization. A direct attack on Tanemuras character and actions not being possible caused Hatsumi either to set up Tanemura with this problem student or quiclkly and cleverly capitalize on the situation when it occured. Hatsumi would know Tanemura would leave and voila problem solved. How ninja-esque.

I wonder what the otherr easons Tanemura had for leaving and what happened to the problem student once Tanemura left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a shame Tanemura has only really shown us what is effectively no more than the covering letter.

Letter of Resignation
    To Hatsumi Yoshiaki Sensei
    I don’t wish from my heart, but I had to resign Bujinkan Shidoshi Association to wish going my believing way and had to independence from you.
    The reason why, I will explain for you with the documents included in this letter.
    Showa Era 59th Year (1984) 13th November
    From Tanemura Tsunehisa

I'd be more interested in seeing the documents that he refers to as being enclosed.

P.S. I think the guy who translated the letter was the same person who wrote All Your Base are Belong to Us.
    Last edited by shmuel; 5/12/2007 3:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 3:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    I'd be more interested in seeing the documents that he refers to as being enclosed.
    I'm a bit more interested in knowing who the individual was whose removal by Tanemura and reinstatement by Hatsumi it was that set things into motion. What ever happened to him?

P.S. I think the guy who translated the letter was the same person who wrote All Your Base are Belong to Us.
    Yeah, it seems a bit out of character. Most of Tanemura's English is decent though not fully fluent. Sometimes there are a few oddities, such as the text titling of his Kenjutsu Kyu disks having information on using "Weeden Sword."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    I'm a bit more interested in knowing who the individual was whose removal by Tanemura and reinstatement by Hatsumi it was that set things into motion. What ever happened to him?
    There's a rumour floating around on MAP that it was actually Tanemura's boss at the police department.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    There's a rumour floating around on MAP that it was actually Tanemura's boss at the police department.
    Aside from direct links posted on this site I've managed to avoid MAP like the plague.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Aside from direct links posted on this site I've managed to avoid MAP like the plague.

Mostly just asinine train wrecks around that neck of the wood . You're not missing all that much if you miss class , unless you count the bondage , story telling and drama ...

much like the Bujinkan .

Which reminds me ... Why the **** does everyone seem to have a bad case of the ninjers lately ? I mean I know this is the ninjitsu place to be , but that in no way excuses the 35 threads on the new posts page .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's ninjitsu sucks month.