Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dips v Benchpress... BP wins. Bodyweight exercises lead to diminishing returns, along with the fact that a freeweight that can move will stimulate the CNS to react in a specific way that would more closely represent dealing with a moving opponent. BP is a compound exercise...

The statement that BP is more for a powerlifter is not only stupid, but wrong.

To your original question, it's not the 5x5, but the whole total volume versus intensity is what should be looked at along with your goal. It's not as easy to say do X * Y for your goals.

Higher Intensity + Lower volume equals more stimulation of type II fibers.

Low Intensity + High Volume stimulates more of the usage of type I fibers.

For the sake of simplicity the issues of the CNS and metabolic pathways were left for you guys that are waiting to engage me.

Your goal should be that of short bursts of high intensity due to the nature of MMA. Therefore the first option.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dips v Benchpress... BP wins. Bodyweight exercises lead to diminishing returns
    If that's the only issue then surely you can just add weight to your dips? Either with a weight belt or holding a dumbell between your legs?
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 1:12pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think dips suck, i really can't see what they are working that will be functional to me in any way to be honest.

I definitely want to go low volume, high intensity as i'm looking for power.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I have read about two different approaches to powerlifting. It relates to the OP and I'd like to hear what experienced powerlifters/trainers have to say since I would like to gain more xplosiveness and strength.

One way I've heard about is where you use pyramid sets starting as low as 50% of your 1rm for 5 reps and pyramiding up to 1 rep sets at 90, 95 and 100% of your 1rm. I've also seen a 5x5 program too, but unlike the one in the OP it advocated a constant weight for all sets and increasing the weight from week to week. Which is better? Which does more for "explosiveness"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 2:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you realise how bad dips suck for triceps though? Same as those seated dip machines and tricep kickbacks, they're useless if you think about it!

I can't explain it but was speaking to a strength/conditioning coach about them briefly and what they said made perfect sense. I will clarify this tomorrow if i get chance. There are much better ways to work either the triceps or the chest, bench being one of them.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dips aren't horrible. It's a good secondary exercise to break up psychological monotony, CNS stagnation or during an AR period. But substituting them for BP solely is nonsense. It can also lead to injury due to hyperextension near the shoulder areas as the exercise is rarely performed correctly esp when weight is added from a belt.

Matt- Basically think low volume, high intensity. This can mean any variety of schemes. These schemes need to be cycled for various short term and long term goals. Also variety in lifts is the key. For the explosiveness, I'd suggest Olympic style lifts just due to their very nature of short bursts of high intensity.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Equipose, I was planning on spending a day a week doing deadlifts and squats, powerlifting style. You think no? Olympic lifts instead?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Equipose on that one. I've been doing cleans (and split jerks on occasions) religiously for two month now, followed by deadlifts. I can't precisely explain, but I've felt everything between my hips and neck worked to death (in a good way) by adding those.

On occasions, I also do overhead squats with dumbells, one hand or two hands (not with the barbell, my shoulders act funny with it), and it works my back and core like nothing else.

Ross Enamait is a big proponent of one-hand dumbell snatches (which may be easier for people to start with.) It's a lean-and-mean exercise on its own right.l

If you still like squats (like I do), give front squats a try (I prefer bodybuilding style front squats over weightlifting style... personal preference mind you.)

My greatest regret is that it is now in my late 30's that I'm learning these lifts rather than using them when I first started lifting in my wee early 20's.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The statement that BP is more for a powerlifter is not only stupid, but wrong.
    You cut me, man. You cut me deep.
    So what's the BP for?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same as any other compound exercise, surely? They hit more than one muscle/joint as well as the core and also the pecs are a fairly large muscle group so it would be crazy to miss them out completely. I've got mates that favour arms and shoulders and do very little bench and they are now beginning to get a little inverted, ie shoulders forward, chest sunken in like a neanderthal. Overall muscular balance throughout the body is just as important as having key strong points as the body works as a kinetic chain.

Regarding the dips, i forgot to mention that i have some sort of nagging shoulder problem that is really targeted by this excercise so that's also part of it! But I was speaking to a UKSCA registered strength and conditioning coach about them and the general theory they gave me was that the tricep is only working against gravity when the elbow is extended, therefore only working it through a tiny ROM as well as the stress placed upon the shoulder joint capsule.

I'm still up in the air about which routine to go for. The main con of the 5x5 at the moment is the fact that it will take me quite a while if i need to have 3-5 minutes rest between each set. That's a major con as i simply don't have that much time available at the moment.

What's this Westside program i've heard about? Supposed to be another strength program that promotes lean muscle and strength or something?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast