222001 Bullies, 4141 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:27pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rare earth magnets are toxic. This is why they're sheathed in latex before implantation. PL fails.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:36pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    No. They can't. Ever hear of MRIs? Those things are about the strongest magnets a normal person will come in contact with. It doesn't do **** to you on the long term, which is why it's so awesome.

The claim is bullshit. If an MRI doesn't affect you, no shitty ass magnet will.
    MRIs can actually hurt many people, PL.

Magnet therapy is one of those things with lots of anecdotal evidence but very little hard scientific backing. Does that mean they don't work? I think it means we don't know yet.

I'll tell you one thing, though - pain management is a field where I sort of give bad science an out. If it lessons the perception of pain, it might as well work, because pain is perception in general, and there's value in shedding it. There's something wrong, though, with SELLING something based on the notion that it helps pain via an unknown and unproven mechanism.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 5/12/2007 2:39pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I'll tell you one thing, though - pain management is a field where I sort of give bad science an out. If it lessons the perception of pain, it might as well work, because pain is perception in general, and there's value in shedding it.

Agreed.

I am going to get one of the bracelets and see how well it works on my knee and shoulder pain.

It might make my weeeneer longer too.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 5:52pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Magnets got nothin' on pyramids, IMHO.

http://www.pyramidhats.com/
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad will buy anything once, and he once bought the little magnet bracelet. He has chronic back pain that's pretty nasty.

He thought it helped for awhile, but later decided that the pain was no better than it had been before. I figure this means there was a placebo effect as long as the magnet was front and center in his daily thoughts, but when he stopped thinking about it as much, the pain "seemed" more noticeable again.

Dad also once bought the "Pain Zapper" you might have seen advertised on an infomercial. It cost some obscene amount of money and was, literally, the igniter from a gas grill with a little grip stuck on it. You were supposed to push the metal spot into your skin and click it to "zap" your muscles with powerful electrical stimulation. Of course, a grill igniter only makes a small spark, so no such thing was happening.

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 10:37pm

Style: Kajukenbo / Judo / IKEA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Magnets got nothin' on pyramids, IMHO.

http://www.pyramidhats.com/
    Awesome. Although I prefer the following take on pyramid hats:

http://www.psorsite.com/docs/pyrhats.html

Why haven't you heard of the Pyramid Hat before? For the same reason you may not hear about it for much longer: as soon as the Government finds out where this Web site is, they'll shut it down. The FDA is in the pocket of the doctors, who are in turn in the pocket of the pharmaceutical companies, whose lifeblood is new unnatural drugs developed by research scientists. All of these people realize that the Pyramid Hat will put them all out of the business of keeping us sick, so they will stop at nothing to shut me down.

I may be dead next week, so order one right now!

Consider the heartbreaking story of little Timmy S., who, during a spirited game of hide-and-go-seek, suffered a slight groin pull. His wise mother had him wear a Pyramid Hat, against Timmy's will (his fellow school children were simply cruel about the Hat), and in just a few days he was skipping and jumping again!

Or Madeline T., who lost her left hand in a horrific automotive accident. After just three months wearing her Pyramid Hat (not an easy job - she is left-handed), her missing appendage grew back! Unfortunately, with such serious problems, Madeline must wear her Pyramid Hat at least twice a week as a so-called "maintenance" treatment, but it's a small price to pay for a new hand, is it not?

Fear the weasels

Fear the gay pirate

Me caught Spinning at work

"Do not be afraid. With my nipples I will suckle each of you with arcane knowledge passed down for generations." -Ashida Kim (Phrost)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 3:03am

Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some years ago, I listened to a radio segment in which a professional athlete talked about problems with a board, regarding the oxygenation of his blood. The test results showed a very high oxygen level and raised the suspicion of doping. He attributed that to his altitude training and said that the magnet necklace they used might also have helped, though he said he didn't have much insight into this topic.

I don't know anymore which sport he practiced, however recently there was a big scandal concerning the cross country skiing team and oxgyn enriched blood bottles. Maybe these necklaces are just a subterfuge for hard to prove doping.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12