Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 7:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Magnets and My health

I am intrigued by the claims that sleeping on magnets, wearing magentic bracelets and necklaces, and such can improve your overall health.

I work with a guy who is 70 years old. He has chronic pain in his joints. Now please keep in mind that this guy doesnt subscribe to hocus pocus bullshit, and is a VERY down to earth person, and a skeptic by nature.
    His daughter bought him a magnetic bracelet. He tried it just to humor her. He now SWEARS by it, and even went out and bought himself a necklace.

Now, being a skeptic myself, I wonder if it really works, or you just want it to, so it does. I wouldnt even be wondering except for the guy I stated above swears by them. He is a GREAT endorsement for this type of thing AFAIC.

Any XP with this stuff?

*edit*
    If you dont have XP with this stuff or know someone who does/did, then just keep it to yourself.
    Last edited by HonkyTonkMan; 5/12/2007 7:28am at .

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 7:17am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Placebo effect? I think its bollocks. ( When did we get a spell check with little red lines?)

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 7:35am

Style: Kajukenbo / Judo / IKEA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wife's parents are into all sorts of alternative healing practices like this, but jump from fad to fad as none really seem to work, including magnet therapy.

Some of their adventures include earwax candles, drinking urine, bee pollen, wearing herbs around the neck, etc.

I would also read the 'criticism' section of Wikipedia on magnet therapy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_therapy
    Last edited by NunOnBreak; 5/12/2007 7:44am at .

Fear the weasels

Fear the gay pirate

Me caught Spinning at work

"Do not be afraid. With my nipples I will suckle each of you with arcane knowledge passed down for generations." -Ashida Kim (Phrost)

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 7:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I should buy one and see, then post the results.

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 7:55am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I say Placebo effect. No scientific evidence for magnets benefiting you in any way shape or form.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:27am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In fact, strong magnets can hurt you, and G-d forbid you try swallowing them, as recent toy recalls and child injuries have shown.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 8:44am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about wearing them for joint conditions, but there's a method of using rare earth magnets to gain a sixth sense.

http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20040226.html

If they can make these implants impact and torsion safe (or at least safer then they are now) then I'm seriously considering getting these.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 10:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD (ITF)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At last, a topic I have some real experiance of.

My wife has had bad knee pains for all her life, she had surgery on them twice but although it fixed the initial problems the pain was still there, sometimes so bad it would make her cry. Two years ago my sister got her a magnetic bracelet, no more pain since, is it a placebo? I don't think so, she's a big sceptic on this type of thing. I wear one as well and a lot of my joint pains have improved but I also take glucosamine sulphate which enables me to sleep on my shoulders without being in agony (can't sleep on my back due to some major surgery several years ago). Even if it is a placebo for most people who use them it provides relief from pain that often drugs don't work for unless you like being high all the time.

On a similar note (this is bound to generate a few BS replies) my wife had her first healing session from my Aiki Jujutsu instructor (she had a stroke a few years back, can't use her right side and can barely talk) this week, her right foot is now not turned in, the swelling has gone down and she can string together serveral clear words at a time, not always perfect but far far better than the previous two years. We have 3-4 more sessions to see how far she will progress, hopefully enough to get out of a wheelchair for a time. Again she was sceptical about this but was of the opinion that it wouldn't do her any harm to try.

These things don't work for everybody but for some people it gives them their life back, and that has to be worth it.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    In fact, strong magnets can hurt you, and G-d forbid you try swallowing them, as recent toy recalls and child injuries have shown.
    No. They can't. Ever hear of MRIs? Those things are about the strongest magnets a normal person will come in contact with. It doesn't do **** to you on the long term, which is why it's so awesome.

The claim is bullshit. If an MRI doesn't affect you, no shitty ass magnet will.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:27pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    No. They can't. Ever hear of MRIs? Those things are about the strongest magnets a normal person will come in contact with. It doesn't do **** to you on the long term, which is why it's so awesome.

The claim is bullshit. If an MRI doesn't affect you, no shitty ass magnet will.

Actually this happened out in your neck of the woods. It wasn't the powerful magnetic effect that killed a few kids - it was the attraction between two or more magnets that had been swallowed which ended up perforating and/or causing intussusception of the colon that did.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast