Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess what guys! Did you know that soccer players are better at playing soccer than basketball players!? Yeah, really. And guess what! Basketball players are better at playing basketball than soccer players! Who'da thunk it?
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:33pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but none of thoe players ever talk about fighting each other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:54pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hands in MMA seem to be more of a puncher's game than a boxer's. I think George Foreman would have made a better MMAist than Muhammed Ali.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed
    In my opinion he truly is one of the best boxers I've ever seen. A lot of people don't like his style of fighting for the most part because they're not true diehard boxing fans. What Floyd does is truly the sweet science he hits without getting hit. , is always accurate and effective with his punches and makes good fighters look bad.
    I consider myself a pretty die hard boxing fan, and I hate Mayweather's style. Not because he's not a brawler, but because while his defense is brilliant, his offense is mediocre - he rarely puts combinations together, doesn't even jab much, and is content to throw the occasional counter shot and continue defending, for the most part. Mayweather's round-by-round punch output is consistently among the lowest in boxing for winning fighters.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Yes, but none of thoe players ever talk about fighting each other.
    True. But if they did, would they be taken seriously? Course not, there wouldn't even be a debate. Yet, for some reason there is one in regards to boxing and MMA. It should be obvious that boxers are better at boxing whereas MMAists are better at MMA.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 4:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    I consider myself a pretty die hard boxing fan, and I hate Mayweather's style. Not because he's not a brawler, but because while his defense is brilliant, his offense is mediocre - he rarely puts combinations together, doesn't even jab much, and is content to throw the occasional counter shot and continue defending, for the most part. Mayweather's round-by-round punch output is consistently among the lowest in boxing for winning fighters.

That's my only problem with Lil Floyd. For all the speed and accuracy he has he rarely puts together combos that would really show it and put his opponent in a really bad position. That being said though I do love to see guys like Floyd, Bhop and Winky fight. I like it that they pick their shots carefully only throwing when they know they'll connect. I just don't want to see two fighters like that in the ring together like we'll have when Bhop fights Winky Wright on the 19th.

Now watch by me saying that this fight will be a barn burner...

As a side note is anybody upset that Jermaine Taylor is fighting Corey Spinks rather than trying to get another fight with Winky or even coming up to fight Calzaghe?

But when Lil Floyd made his comments about MMA I just took them like Lamp's comments. I brushed them both off because I knew they were coming from people who know nothing about MMA . It's like when I hear an MMA guy saying how he could go into boxing and crush boxers....I give it an internal OK and keep it moving.

Red

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 6:05pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    True. But if they did, would they be taken seriously? Course not, there wouldn't even be a debate. Yet, for some reason there is one in regards to boxing and MMA. It should be obvious that boxers are better at boxing whereas MMAists are better at MMA.
    Apparently not, judging by the continued supersensitivity of fans from both sides.

And Floyd had pretty decent offense before he started to move up in weight. He doesn't have the power in his hands to KO anyone over 140 convincingly (at least, anyone skilled), but he had quite a few KOs at his lower weight classes, all with great combos, especially his left to the head then left to the liver.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 6:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Weird thing is that PBF used to be better .........sort of .......he used to sit in the "pocket" just off his opponents shoulder and that kind of reduced the effect of punches & opened up all sort of opertunities for his hand speed But now he pretty much does laps of the ring for 12 rounds (which is awesome too because I like to watch athletics) but pretty **** for casual fans

as far as MMA goes hes got the tools but it would take at least a year to rearrange them for MMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 8:49pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Jim Lampley (yeah yeah, I know, we all hate him) say something during the DLH vs. PbF fight to Emanual Stewart to the effect of:

"how does a guy who only throws one punch at a time become regarded as one of the best fighters in the world?"

to which Stewart replied: "I've never considered him one of the best"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A striker (boxer or otherwise) should be considered as good as his track record of KO'S at best, or his ability to really inflict damage at least. Put a good defense on top, and that makes him superb. PBF is boring for the same reason lay-n-pray is boring.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast