Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All certs on Bullshido are verified by the mods/owner. That way we don't have a multitude of Asida Kim's running around spouting off nonsense with no way to verify it. My certification is through ISSA and Phrost has seen my scores/acceptance documents.

The various bodyweight exercises you do are great for stabilization in odd positions. Which during wrestling will come in handy. However doing them ad nauseum does little for your strength.

For gaining strength, one needs to lift progressively. In other words, increase the amounts of resistance per lift. This is done over a period of time obviously. 60% or more of your one repetition maximum is generally the rule of thumb with this. Anything less, doesn't cause any central nervous system adaptation for the increasing of strength/size.

You've more than likely blown past the ability to bench your own body weight etc. The only way to get stronger from this is to add increased weight with the bench press or similar activities that use the chest, shoulders and triceps.

The same goes for any type of bodyweight exercise you do. If you can do them a lot, you're not working the metabolic pathways to get stronger, just for duration of that activity and you're teaching your central nervous system to create the synapses to make you a pushup master versus stronger or more technically skilled at wrestling.

Your sport includes short bursts of high intensity. Therefore one needs to mimic that activity in various exercises that you do. Therefore high weight with low volume, decreased times between sets or super setting while still maintaining relatively low volume are ways to do this. Also certain types of lifts such as olympic lifts enforce high intensity adaptations.

Ask all the questions you want, that's why we're here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 3:08pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could one compliment bodyweight exercise with isometric exercise for strength gains and muscle endurance?
    Last edited by nomamao; 5/21/2007 3:40pm at .

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just, you know, lift?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why JUST lift?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/21/2007 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be or not to be. :eusa_thin
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 5:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isometric exercises... Train for what you are intending to do. If pushing against brickwalls is your sport, than Iso's are great.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 7:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing/Knees to the groin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible to increase your overall muscular endurance while also working on strength? I noticed that when I used to lift alot that my endurance for push ups sucked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise
    Isometric exercises... Train for what you are intending to do. If pushing against brickwalls is your sport, than Iso's are great.

Great.

But seriously, if all you are lifting weights for is mass, and strength, there are other ways to get that, and Iso's are one of them. Correct?

Iso's have been proven to increase strength and increase mass, as far as I know. Some people even use them to compliment their lifting regimen.

here's one clip that comes to mind when thinking about Iso's and fight training.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym25.htm

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by nomamao; 5/22/2007 10:52am at .

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 3:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    Great.

But seriously, if all you are lifting weights for is mass, and strength, there are other ways to get that, and Iso's are one of them. Correct?

Iso's have been proven to increase strength and increase mass, as far as I know. Some people even use them to compliment their lifting regimen.

here's one clip that comes to mind when thinking about Iso's and fight training.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym25.htm

What are your thoughts?
    ...Okay..

Here's the problem, Iso's don't allow for any concentric or eccentric movement therefore limiting one's CNS from adapting to an activity that would use those movements which is basically any movement. Now the CNS is going to have a limited physiological response in making the body adapt in the capacity of increasing strength and size. They can be used in conjunction with normal lifting practices, however until I see actual studies done on it, I'm skeptical on their efficacy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2007 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly4.htm

Well, there are some great claims made on that site. Thanks, for the feedback, though.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345