Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 7:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise
    There are lots of exercises that can take the place of squats.

Bodyweight exercises = crap.
    Including burpees, one hand push ups, pistols and plyo push ups???
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to start riding my bike for endurance. I see all these yuppie assholes riding around campus and think to myself "I want to be like that!"

But I'll have to wait until summer to ride it to school, because I got a job at a physics lab where I actually have to go quite a ways. Right now taking a bike with me would be illogical.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 6:27am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    What exercises with weights could replace Squats or Deadlifts for that matter.

How can you say Bodyweight exercises are crap. I mean resistance is resistance right ? Try and do the following:

10 Handstand Pushups
    10 One Arm Pushups. You can elevate your feet off a chair to make it harder.
    10 One Legged Squats
    10 One Arm Chinups.

Great strength workout.

Or for fitness work try this:

Sequence 1
    20 Hindu Squats
    10 Hindu Pushups

Repeat the sequence 5 times

Sequence 2
    10 Burpees
    5 Reverse Pushups
    10 Clap Pushups

Repeat the sequence 5 times. That routine will give you one of the best workouts you will ever feel.
    I'll give you your list of comprable lifts when I wake up later on. For right now, resistance is not just resistance. By that logic you could benchpress 400 pounds as easy as 50 lbs. It's the law of diminishing returns due to physiological and CNS stagnation from a lack of increased stimuli from increasing resistance.

Your routine for strength and "fitness," whatever the hell that is, sucks.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 7:04am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Austrian steroids noodle-keg
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 7:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    I'm going to start riding my bike for endurance.
    If you had access to a stationary bike, you could do what this dude does:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uv8m15ulCiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv8m15ulCiw

Man, if you had access to a place with stairs like a tall building or stadium, you can do this as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH40oB3CnS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH40oB3CnS8

Quote Originally Posted by Future Poop Yuppie
    I see all these yuppie assholes riding around campus and think to myself "I want to be like that!"
    What? Are you gonna drop Physics and become a Bizness major???

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    But I'll have to wait until summer to ride it to school, because I got a job at a physics lab where I actually have to go quite a ways. Right now taking a bike with me would be illogical.
    How far do you have to get that underground particle collider? If it's 15 miles or less, I'd get a bike and do it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rode my bike to work again today. It was great. Riding home will be even better. I love summer.

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Summer down here is quite yucky right now, raining non-stop like if we were in the Amazons or something. I hate you now.

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I so Deadlifts/Squats. But thats about it when it comes to weights.

The rest of what I do is Bodyweight only exercises. I'm a firm believer that Bodyweight exercises alon can get you very strong and very fit. Many, proffessional Boxers and Wrestlers have supported this idea aswell.

But I am keen to hear what you so for strength and fitness if bodyweight exercises are no good. Please tell.

Pick up a book and read. Or use the search function. Your opinion =/ science.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    How far do you have to get that underground particle collider? If it's 15 miles or less, I'd get a bike and do it.
    Nah, nothing like that. I'd ride my bike to the park and ride and take it with me to school and ride it to the lab. Right now my classes are right next to bus stops, so I don't even have anywhere to go. If there was some way to leave the bike at the park and ride that would be even better. But I have a feeling it would be gone by the time I came back.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 2:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your opinion does not equal anything significant either.

Exercises like Handstand Pushups, One Arm Pushups with your feet elevated off a chair, One Legged Squats are not rubbish. They are all legitimate exericses for increasing strength. Make no mistake, A One Arm Chinup or One Arm Divebomber Pushup is a clear demonstration of strength.

As for the second routine I listed of Hindu Squats/Hindu Pushups/Burpees/Reverse Pushups, read the workout over again. It's gut wrenching. My Wrestling coach loves to put us through that one and it's put some very conditioned wrestlers to shame. If you can do that routine with ease your either:

(a) Lying
    (b) A highly trained fighter

My money is on option (a).
    See the tag under my name?

Use the search function.

I've already explained this already. Law of diminishing returns...... Just because your wrestling coach makes you do them doesn't mean you or he for that matter knows squat about strength training. Apparently he's going off antiquated and anecdotal references based upon what's t3h H4RDC0r3!!

Train to be better at what you do. If your goal is to do pushups for competition, then by all means your wrestling team will be awesome. However if its to actually win matches or progressively gain strength, then you're dead last.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast