OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Endurance for Lifting

I haven't lifted since last summer. Transfered to a university and got a bit overwhelmed. I'm in gear now and want to start lifting again. I know what I need to do, but there's one thing I've never been able to resolve: my pathetic endurance. I can't warm up for more than like 5 minutes or else I start getting tired and when I lift I need to take fairly long (i.e. 5 or so minute) breaks between sets or else my performance suffers.

I'd like to warm up longer so that my muscles don't explode and I have no idea if resting that long is good or not.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Need more info!

What exercises are you doing, how many reps? What are you eating? How would you rate your metabolism? Are you doing other things for cardiovascular performance (Tabata sets, HIIT)?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 11:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me put it this way: I just spent 5 hours playing Deux Ex.

I don't do ****. =/

Also, I forgot to add that it's also annoying that I want to do squats + bench + pullups, but don't have enough energy to do the pullups.

I usually do 5-7 reps, usually 5 sets. I am eating not much. Never really that hungry. =/ My metabolism isn't bad, though, because I'm not a fatass even though I tend to indulge in some candy.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Let me put it this way: I just spent 5 hours playing Deux Ex.

I don't do ****. =/

Also, I forgot to add that it's also annoying that I want to do squats + bench + pullups, but don't have enough energy to do the pullups.

I usually do 5-7 reps, usually 5 sets. I am eating not much. Never really that hungry. =/ My metabolism isn't bad, though, because I'm not a fatass even though I tend to indulge in some candy.
    Eat bitch! If you're never really that hungry, your metabolism is probably pretty slow, which would explain your lack of of energy. Make sure to never miss breakfast, and have snacks between meals. Do something for cardio every day. Turn your body into an energy burning machine!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 12:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definately always eat breakfast. No exceptions.

What would count as cardio? A 10 minute brisk walk up hill? Or do I actually have to sweat? :(

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 6:42am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not lifting for the sake of increasing your lifting endurance, per se.

At least, you shouldn't be.

Warm-up with sets of what yer about to do, or the closest thing possible (i.e. pull downs instead of pull ups).

You most certainly do not have to be sweating. Getting systemically warm to the point of sweating is for going into a systemically unpredictable engagement like teh crappl3 or el boxeo where yer going to be flinging around yer body haphazardly.

Unless you're one of those voodoo practitioners who derives all sorts of mystic "strengths" from ye olde strongman bullshit, then the weights you'll be pushing shouldn't be posing danger to a degree that you gotta prepare your whole body the way yer thinking.
    Last edited by Nid; 5/12/2007 6:47am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 2:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I know. I'm lifting to get stronger. But I can't get through all of my exercises because I'm too tired.

I just run for a bit and do some basic warmups like cherry pickers and stuff to get kind of warmed up. Then I do some pushups if I'm going to bench or overhead press, or some body weight squats if I'm going to squat or deadlift, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 3:22pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't get through them all then maybe you're lifting too much?

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 9:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    I'm in gear now and want to start lifting again.
    On the gear? :5jigsaw:

More info.
    Are you falling into the common university trap of experimenting with social accelerants and irregular sleeping hours?
    Do you really want to hurt me?
    Do you really want to break my heart?
    Do you actually have a split you stick to?
    Are you trying to go heavy on multiple compound exercises in one session?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    You're not lifting for the sake of increasing your lifting endurance, per se.

At least, you shouldn't be.

Warm-up with sets of what yer about to do, or the closest thing possible (i.e. pull downs instead of pull ups).
    You most certainly do not have to be sweating. Getting systemically warm to the point of sweating is for going into a systemically unpredictable engagement like teh crappl3 or el boxeo where yer going to be flinging around yer body haphazardly.

Unless you're one of those voodoo practitioners who derives all sorts of mystic "strengths" from ye olde strongman bullshit, then the weights you'll be pushing shouldn't be posing danger to a degree that you gotta prepare your whole body the way yer thinking.
    Kein has the correct. Your warm up should be something that leads into the lifting you are about to do (with some light stretching along the way).

Poops, on the other hand, 10 mins of mid-intensity cardio shouldn't hurt your ability to lift. If it does, your cardio is sucking ass more than a hemorroid (time to do some HIIT bitch!!!).

It could also be that you are eating shitty and sleeping shitty. Such is college life :(

You want to do squats, bench presses and pull ups, all in one single workout. Don't know if that's how you want to proceed right now, but if you, you could do the following (I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but it should give an idea):

-- WARMUP --

A. 1 set of 50 jumping jacks followed by set of 30-40 push ups
    B. stretch as you wish for the next 60 seconds

repeat A and B one more time. That's it.

-- SQUATS part --

Every set of squats you do, follow it immediately by 40-50 push ups. That's one set. Repeat 4 times.

-- PULL UPS part --

Every set of pull ups you do, follow it immediately by one set of barbell rows (5-10 reps). That's one set. Repeat 4 times.

It doesn't matter if you cannot do more than 5 pull ups non-stop. ****, perhaps for the very last set, you may not be able to do 3. When that happens, take a 5 second break, take a deep breath and resume, even if you have to do this again and again until you get the desire number of pull ups.

And try to increase the number of pull ups every week by one. Just push yourself to your limit. What matters is not that you can do a given number of reps non-stop in a set. What matters is the effort in completing the reps. When it comes to pull ups, that's how you will get stronger.

Also, for the barbell rows that follow each set of pull ups, choose a weight that allows you to do 5 to 10 barbell rows (and increase it by 5lbs every week).

This should take you no more than 60 minutes - 45 minutes if you haul ass. No need to spend 90 minutes to 2 hours as many people do. Do that routine two to three times a day. And take another day to do some cardio (yeah, you have to sweat). Eat well and sleep well. You should see improvement in 3 to 4 weeks... unless you still eat shitty and sleep shitty.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 5/13/2007 1:09am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast