Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 12:04pm

Style: BJJ, MT, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe my school has the pricing all wrong. We have 17,000 sq feet. 2 mat areas (4,000 sq feet and 400 sq feet), 20 thai bags, 3 tear drop bags, wall anchored upper cut bag, speed bags, double ended bags, elipticals, treadmills, weight room, 2 cages, 3 boxing rings, 3 Machado black belts (1 has 2 golds and 2 silvers at the PanAms,1 has a silver at the PanAms, 1 has a silver at the PanAms and recently took 2nd at the Fila-Sub Grappling worlds . . . he was also a 4X NCAA D1 All American, 5X PAncrase Sub-Grappling champ, 2nd in Greco Roman Pan Ams, and more)
    We charge $59.99 for everything: BJJ, Wrestling, Kickboxing, Boxing, Muay Thai (yes, the kickboxing and Muay Thai classes are not the same thing), open mat, etc. No belt testing fees, gear at whole sale . . . and so on.

Maybe that's why were not making any money.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are also in Utah. Location/Demand/Supply can affect prices greatly.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/16/2009 12:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SLC is a very stingy place.

You are charging a bargain rate I'm surprised you aren't doing better? Maybe you need a more accessible location?

Oh and how do you advertise?

This will probably be moved.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2009 3:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Currently on break

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to add a few things.

-I was right about the contract situation. It's your choice whether you want to do the month thing, or extended contract.

- I lost contact with them (Training picked up, and I want to get in shape before I get back in again), but I attended Bellator III a few hours ago. I was very impressed with what I saw, and two of the fighters (Jared Hess and Mike Messina) represent the particular school/team I attended before.

Mike (Heavyweight) was doing ok, but eventually lost in the second round to his opponent. His record is 2-2, and his opponent is now 6-6.

Jared (Middleweight) went up against a 12-0-2 fighter from Spain. He won with a rear naked choke in the second round, making his record 7-0-1, and he is still in the middleweight elmination tournament.

If you watch it on ESPN Deportes today, there's a little clip of Jared practicing in his gym, and he's in the room I'm talking about with the Thai bags. That just signaled me that they are more than likely not blowing smoke about training there (But not that they might not be training in additional places).

Now I know we all different thresholds and requirements for validity, but I wanted to throw in some more observations. I'm still calling "Not a McDojo" to this one.

http://www.edmondkarate.com/fight-team
    Last edited by Jon_B; 4/18/2009 3:24am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2009 4:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Currently on break

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Light heavyweight*
    My mistake.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 3:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BYAAAA!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PMA kinda gets on my nerves. I met the head instructors and students of the local PMA gym, and they wouldn't shut up about how they were the best of the best and how I'd only be the best if I joined the best (and that's exactly how they put it). And even though at the time I was in the process on quitting one of the schools I was attending, I sure as hell wasn't gonna roll with them. They have a decent program, but it's not for me, and neither are the people behind it.

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 2:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on this one, but I really want to stand up for my school for the most part. It's a PMA based school in Springfield, IL but the owner of the place really does have his heart in the right place and the credibility to back it up. (http://aima-usa.com/index.php?option...110&Itemid=110) As I know a few people have said before, I think it really comes down to the instructors at the local level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 2:59pm

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something about PMA that hasn't come up here, as far as a skim tells me:

PMA sells systems. Not martial arts systems, business systems. To run a professional school, you need to have systems for handling the business in place, like any other business. This is straightforward stuff: how do you handle somebody contacting you for info, how do you track who owes you money, what about promotions, inventory, etc. Like I said, straightforward... but IMPORTANT.

I gather that you can either just get consulting and remain your own thing, or you can brand with PMA. I don't know about the branding process or what kind of screening there is for it.

Oh yeah, and they do billing, too.

All of this is based on magazine articles, and I wish I had more detailed info, but I thought the concept of selling business systems for martial arts schools was interesting.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LThornton View Post
    Something about PMA that hasn't come up here, as far as a skim tells me:

PMA sells systems. Not martial arts systems, business systems. To run a professional school, you need to have systems for handling the business in place, like any other business. This is straightforward stuff: how do you handle somebody contacting you for info, how do you track who owes you money, what about promotions, inventory, etc. Like I said, straightforward... but IMPORTANT.

I gather that you can either just get consulting and remain your own thing, or you can brand with PMA. I don't know about the branding process or what kind of screening there is for it.

Oh yeah, and they do billing, too.

All of this is based on magazine articles, and I wish I had more detailed info, but I thought the concept of selling business systems for martial arts schools was interesting.
    As I understood and remembered from this forum article, they also sell a martial arts system and curriculum. I can't find any information from the main Premier website (http://www.pmaschools.com/) but I did find one of these schools:

http://www.pmauniversalcity.com/index.cfm?page=4

The instructors clearly note that they are black belts in "Premier Martial Arts".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 9:11pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro teaches BJJ there, right? I actually STFU on the thread I STARTED about them when I found that out.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast