233412 Bullies, 3860 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 61 to 70 of 89
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. misanthropic777 is offline
    misanthropic777's Avatar

    Lightweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    234

    Posted On:
    7/07/2008 4:14pm

    supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's 2 PMA schools within easy driving distance of my house, I'll try to hit them both up in the near future and A: see what they're doing and B: see who they're using for muay thai/kickboxing and BJJ/sub grappling coaches (they use the terms interchangeably and their websites don't say jack about the instructors).
  2. Jon_B is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19

    Posted On:
    1/05/2009 8:44pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Currently on break

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm hitting up the Edmond school on Thursday. I'll report back with my thoughts.
    My grappling experience is pretty limited (About eight months at best), but I am taking the grappling (The site says it's CSW, BJJ, and Judo combined?) and Muay Thai classes.
  3. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,277

    Posted On:
    1/05/2009 9:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the problem is the "McDojo's" of the world (not saying this is one) will jump on ANYTHING to make a buck. EVERYONE claims to teach MMA now. I have passed fitness centers offering "MMA workout" classes. The top people in "Managed Martial Art Schools" send ad cuts with people dressed in MMA gear.

    When I was in survival school, we learned that not everything gets digested the first time through. Some things, like corn, can be picked out and eaten again. However, you have to be very hungry to do it.

    The McDojos of the world have created a problem very much like my above example, which I am sure you will never forget.

    Hence, we always are a bit concerned when things pop up on the radar like this. I wish them well and hope they are doing things as they should.
  4. TEA is offline
    TEA's Avatar

    Charlie Don't Surf

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    BFNTX
    Posts
    2,773

    Posted On:
    1/05/2009 9:28pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    However, the Austin PMA branch does seem to be promoting Pelligrino as a PMA guy:
    www.pmaschools.com/austin1/index.cfm?page=6
    Hmm, anyone ever hear of this "Korean Martial Arts Championship" that Mr. Doss claims to have won in 1990 and describes as similar to the movie Bloodsport?

    http://www.pmaschools.com/austin1/index.cfm?page=4
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

    Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.
  5. sambosteve is online now
    sambosteve's Avatar

    Stillness is death

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,905

    Posted On:
    1/06/2009 3:37am

    Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp
    I think the problem is the "McDojo's" of the world (not saying this is one) will jump on ANYTHING to make a buck. EVERYONE claims to teach MMA now. I have passed fitness centers offering "MMA workout" classes. The top people in "Managed Martial Art Schools" send ad cuts with people dressed in MMA gear.

    When I was in survival school, we learned that not everything gets digested the first time through. Some things, like corn, can be picked out and eaten again. However, you have to be very hungry to do it.

    The McDojos of the world have created a problem very much like my above example, which I am sure you will never forget.

    Hence, we always are a bit concerned when things pop up on the radar like this. I wish them well and hope they are doing things as they should.
    Mark, the image you hve left in my head is seared there for good...thanks a bunch.:5bomb:
  6. heelhook is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tn
    Posts
    201

    Posted On:
    1/06/2009 3:48am


     Style: Capoeira, Sombo, BJJ, RVT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah that corn thing was a bit much... I will not be able to look at that simple yellow vegetable in the same way again ever.

    Also... Their is a Premier MMA school in Knoxville. I saw a girl from that school fight on one of the Electric Cowboy cards. She lost to a very game opponent, but from what little I saw, she at least had the right ideas about what to do in a fight and looked good warming up.
  7. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,277

    Posted On:
    1/06/2009 7:44am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gentlemen, that is how a good coach works. The player will never lose the image.

    Still, and not just in the martial art world, you know I am right.

    PS: I have worse ones I am saving

    PPS: I know some people are going to look at their poop to see if I'm right....
  8. Jon_B is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19

    Posted On:
    1/08/2009 10:14pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Currently on break

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got back. I watched a Kickboxing and grappling class.

    The place is HUGE. 7000 sq ft of tatami mat, a big ringside ring (One of those professional grade ones that probably cost $ 5 - 10,000) right next to it; a "Small room" (Probably 3500 sq ft) with NINE thai bags (GOD I wanted to kick one so bad lol ) plus a few of their freestanding bags; a second floor that's probably 11,000 sq ft and loads of equipment.

    I watched the grappling class which the site says is a mix between BJJ, Judo, and CSW. I just saw some of the same techinques that I remember in the BJJ portion of the MMA classes I use to take. I didn't see any poor technique, the instructor was really helpful to the students, but there was no rolling tonight ( Probably due in part to the big OU vs Florida game; 3/4 of the class wasn't there). Nothing gave me the notion that they don't roll, however.

    Then I watched the kickboxing.

    The kickboxing is a mix between Muay Thai and American, but the instructor says that he also teaches some centerline principles with punches. He claimed that it makes it easier to hit hard. I'm not debating whether or not that's true, but he told me this in person. Just a note about it even though we already established each instructor is different.

    It was just conditioning, drills (i.e. Jab-Cross, Jab-Cross-Angle Kick), and technique practice. The instructor and the senior students have good technique, including some of the younger senior students (There were a couple red/black belts that looked about 16, but not six year old black belts, and the "Young Dragons" belt system doesn't seem to have a black belt at all: Very good sign).

    Pros:

    -Great cost! 180 to start up with all equipment needed, and 135 a month for unlimited classes. Karate for the kids, Kickboxing, Grappling, MMA, Krav Maga, and after a few months they allow you to do Kali and Sayoc. I can be in there from 6-9 four days a week.

    - They're very concerned with self defense, as well as combining technique concept and technique together. One of the instructors said on Saturdays they have hour long scenarios based on situations they think are realistic (I.e. Home invasion, carjacking). They teach a little more, and then want the students to apply. Good stuff.

    The only cons I gathered from the school were the following:

    - You don't have to progress with belts if you want to take any of the classes, but the sheet I filled out (It was just personal info with the little at your own risk bubble: Not a contract) straight up asks a potential person if they want a black belt. Now I'm neutral on that, but there's 18 belts! There wasn't crazy colors, but like three blues, three purple, three browns, three reds.... et cetera...

    - (Not really a con since I don't know the true answer)
    Although the instructor that I talked to said the cost is 135 a month, he kept talking about a 12 month program. That has me confused because does that mean one has to sign a contract for 12 months, and does that also mean one gets their black belt at the same time? I highly doubt either is true from what I've gathered, but just another tidbit.


    That's it. If Edmond wasn't 20 miles from Midwest City, that would be my second home. lol

    If you look at it, you may think McDojo, but it really isn't. But again: Some good schools, and some bad.
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,104

    Posted On:
    1/08/2009 11:01pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_B

    - (Not really a con since I don't know the true answer)
    Although the instructor that I talked to said the cost is 135 a month, he kept talking about a 12 month program. That has me confused because does that mean one has to sign a contract for 12 months, and does that also mean one gets their black belt at the same time? I highly doubt either is true from what I've gathered, but just another tidbit.
    Well you'd have to ask. Many schools are adopting a pre-pay type contract. You can pay monthly or get a deep discount (at my old school it was 1/2 price for the year) by paying for a year in advance. Some schools actually have you sign the contract and you can pay monthly.

    So, depending on their circumstances (since you didn't ask) it may not be a bad thing.
  10. Jon_B is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19

    Posted On:
    1/08/2009 11:47pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Currently on break

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Well you'd have to ask. Many schools are adopting a pre-pay type contract. You can pay monthly or get a deep discount (at my old school it was 1/2 price for the year) by paying for a year in advance. Some schools actually have you sign the contract and you can pay monthly.

    So, depending on their circumstances (since you didn't ask) it may not be a bad thing.

    You're right. It was just a note. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask though.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.