Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 4:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In spite of all efforts from any instructor, the students efforts will have more to do with the outcome of their training. People only show up when they want and only put in the effort they feel like putting in. The most you can hope for is a quality instructor that will provide the input you need to progress at the rate you wish to progress. Unfortunately, in order to support a dojo, students are needed. You can look around in any dojo and see the serious few and others that you hope will catch the desire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 5:32pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom.f you are correct in your last sentence. My instructor has even commented that of 200 students he only considers about 25 to be serious and if he had his way he'd get rid of the other 175 but that 175 that are half hearted in their commitment are why the 25 aren't paying $1,000 a month to keep the school open.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 6:19pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craphonso
    i never understood why you couldn't have both money, and integrity. why not have a "competition" level class where intensity and contact are high, and a "fitness / fun" level class for the people who like to pretend (those people who can put some serious dough in your pocket). as long as you never claim to the fitness people that they are learning to be badass maulers, your conscience stays clean and your bank account stays full.

any time a fitness guy gets a big head, put him in with the big boys.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, as long as the distinctions are made and nobody's confusing one for the other.

Money is what keeps schools open and instructors able to replace or upgrade equipment. I'm very pro-money. I'm just anti-bullshit.

The only point I'm making in all of this is that there needs to be a clear line between the fighter's class, and the hobbyist class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 7:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, as long as the distinctions are made and nobody's confusing one for the other.

Money is what keeps schools open and instructors able to replace or upgrade equipment. I'm very pro-money. I'm just anti-bullshit.

The only point I'm making in all of this is that there needs to be a clear line between the fighter's class, and the hobbyist class.

makes perfect sense to me. good thing this website is around to expose the instructors who dont make that distinction clear.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 7:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    What I'm curious about, is if they think they are just getting a good workout or are they learning self defense. Has that been implied or do they know the difference between "a great workout" and "ability to fight"? Hmmm, I guess that's the big question.

let the buyer beware. that is what makes this website so important.

i think i just said that earlier. sorry.

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 8:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.pmaschools.com/index.cfm?page=4

Is this who we are talking about?

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 9:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, now that I've had some time to get into this, and read a bit of the original thread.

So let me get this straight:

• PMA has a highly profitable school chain that previously did not include any MMA-related training.
    • PMA is now adding an MMA section, in response to the growing popularity of MMA over what is considered "traditional" training.
    • Current PMA instructors are being re-trained by MMA fighters to become MMA instructors.

This last bit is what I'm fuzzy about and would like clarification. Does this mean there will be a lot of "MMA Instructors" around the country who haven't actually fought in MMA?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok,

So let me get this straight:

• Current PMA instructors are being re-trained by MMA fighters to become MMA instructors.
    lol ... that isn't the impression I got . One , two or even four seminars a year does not make "re-trained" .
    This last bit is what I'm fuzzy about and would like clarification. Does this mean there will be a lot of "MMA Instructors" around the country who haven't actually fought in MMA?
    Golly gee .... I doubt taking an amateur or pro fight will be part of the PMA boxed set .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 9:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What I want to clear up is whether the intentions match up with the outcome, especially given the post in the previous thread bragging about how much money is pouring in to this school.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/17/2007 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What I want to clear up is whether the intentions match up with the outcome, especially given the post in the previous thread bragging about how much money is pouring in to this school.
    Yeah I clearly stated what I thought about it in the other thread . I think this is a yellow brick road to the mouth of hell . There is no way you can get people to properly train others in MMA without being fully instructed yourself .

No matter how good the videos , books , and online reminders are . The dude heading the project basicly said (in the other thread) that it is going to be honor system as far as quality control goes .

So they are providing McDojo's a MMA curriculum with no way to control what is actually taught or any sort of testing .

Buyer beware indeed .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast